Author's Chapter Notes:
My birthday is tomorrow, so you get the next update today. Although, it seems like you guys aren't as interested in this one. Would it have been better if I made them strangers? I did think about doing that at first, but figured this way would be easier. I would really love to know what you guys think, whether it be good or bad. Thanks to those that have reviewed so far, I really appreciate it=)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 4

“Well, it must be a small world. You say that you and Spike were friends in high school?”

Buffy nodded and took a sip of the coffee that Joyce offered to her. “I have to say that he was the last person I expected to see here. Do you know where he got that ridiculous nickname? I suppose it would go with his new image. I’m surprised I was even able to recognize him.”

Joyce smiled. “I can’t say that I do. He doesn’t talk about it much, but I still like to call him William every now and then. He only really tolerates it from me and his mother.”

“He’s just going to have to deal because there’s no way I’m calling him Spike,” Buffy claimed, scrunching up her nose.

Joyce shook her head, hiding a smile behind her coffee mug. “I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you continued to use his given name.” She placed her cup down when an idea hit her. “Why don’t you stay with us for a bit? It’ll be cheaper than a hotel and we can get to know each other better. We have a lot of catching up to do.”

Buffy wasn’t expecting that. “I wouldn’t really want to impose. I’m not even sure how long I plan on staying.”

“You could stay as long as you want, it’s really no imposition. I can have Hank drop you off at the hotel to get your stuff. I noticed that you didn’t drive here.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, me and driving really don’t go well together. That would be nice, if it’s no trouble.”

Joyce graced her with another smile. “It would be no trouble at all.”


* * * * *


Buffy called Riley as soon as she was situated in the Summers guest room, already feeling comfortable there. She heard a few rings before he finally picked up.

“Hey, sweetheart. I was waiting for your call.”

Buffy smiled once she heard her fiancé’s voice on the other line. “Sorry it wasn’t sooner, a lot more happened than I thought. Joyce is wonderful; I wasn’t expecting for her to be this kind. She offered to let me stay at her house and everything. I have two little sisters and a brother; I don’t know why I didn’t think about her having kids. I never imagined having siblings; I’ve been an only child for so long.”

Riley let out a yawn, but tried to focus on the conversation. “That’s nice, honey. It has been over twenty years; you shouldn’t have expected that she didn’t have her own life. I hope you’re not imposing on that family.”

Buffy frowned into the receiver. “She offered to let me stay, it’s not like I just invited myself. And they’re my family now, too.”

Riley nodded, even though she couldn’t see it. “I know that, but don’t forget that you have a family here that misses you. How long are you planning to stay there?”

Buffy sighed. “I don’t really know. It was supposed to only be for the weekend, but I wasn’t expecting any of this. She actually wants to get to know me; this may be the only chance I get. I’ll call you when I know for sure. Oh, I forgot to tell you. William is their next door neighbor. You don’t know how shocked I was to see him again.”

Riley sat up in bed, suddenly more interested. “William? That geek you hung out with in high school?”

Buffy felt anger at his words, but tried to keep her voice down. “He’s not a geek, Riley. Besides, he’s really changed since high school. I have a chance to get to know my mother and William again; I’m going to take advantage of that while I can. Anyway, I should probably go now. It’s pretty late; I just wanted you to know that I’m okay. I miss you.”

He smiled. “I miss you, too. I’m sure you’ll be back in no time, then we can continue to plan our wedding. Sweet dreams, babe.”

Buffy wondered why he seemed to be rushing her all of a sudden. “Goodnight, Riley,” she said, but he hung up before she could finish.


* * * * *


Riley clicked his phone shut and lay back in bed, staring up at the ceiling. A feminine arm draped over his chest and a soft voice purred in his ear.

“Who was that, baby?”

He just shook his head and snuggled up closer to her. “It was no one, Sandy. Just go back to sleep.”

She nodded and did just that.

Riley ran his fingers down her back, then drifted off into slumber.


* * * * *


Buffy wiped the sleep from her eyes the next morning as she made her way downstairs and into the kitchen. She stopped abruptly at the sight of William sitting at the table with Joyce, and pulled her robe tighter around her body in embarrassment.

“I should probably put some clothes on. I forgot that I’m not in my house.”

Spike grinned. “Don’t worry about it, love. I’ve seen you in less.”

She smacked him on the arm and laughed at their familiar antics, then turned to a surprised Joyce. “He means a bathing suit; we used to go swimming in my pool all the time.”

Joyce nodded and had a feeling it was something like that. “Well, I think it’s time to wake up the rest of the bunch. I’ll leave you two alone to talk,” she said, then headed out of the kitchen.

Buffy suddenly felt nervous being so close to her old best friend again, but he smiled to put her at ease.

“I don’t bite, Buffy. I’m still the same bloke, just a little different on the outside.”

She nodded. “I know that, I just never expected to see you again. It’ll take some getting used to.”

He nodded as well. “I guess we should make the best of your time here, then. There’s a club not that far from here called the Bronze. I was going to meet a few friends there tonight; you’re welcome to come with me.”

Buffy thought about it. “Yeah, I would like to see more of this town. If you’re sure that you wouldn’t mind me tagging along.”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t mind at all, the more the merrier.” He tried to not show how excited he really was that she agreed to come out with him. He finally had a chance to spend time with his dream girl again, and he wasn’t going to waste a second. Spike knew that it was bound to end in heartache since she was engaged to be married, but a part of him couldn’t care less. Being around Buffy again was the only thing that mattered.