Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 5

Spike entered the Bronze later that night, with Buffy at his side. He kept his arm around her as to not lose her in the crowd, until they finally reached his usual table. He smiled at his mates and made the introductions.

“Everyone, this is Buffy. She’s an old friend of mine from high school.”

They smiled and nodded to her, knowing of her from the few stories that Spike told them.

“Buffy, this is Xander, Anya, Faith, Angel, Fred, Wesley, and Gunn,” he finished, pointing out everyone.

She smiled as well and sat down in one of the available chairs. “It’s nice to meet all of you.”

Spike sat down beside her. “It turns out that Buffy’s mother happens to be my next door neighbor. She’s here visiting for a little while.”

Faith grinned, remembering that Spike mentioned the blonde was adopted. “Well, isn’t that a small world?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I never expected to find William here.”

They laughed at the use of his given name. Not knowing him as William, but knowing that he hated being called that.

Spike only smiled at her. “You want something to drink, love?”

“Just a diet coke, I’m not much of a drinker.”

Spike nodded and got up to head over to the bar.

Buffy turned back to his friends to find that they were all staring at her curiously.

“So, you’re the famous Buffy? We were starting to think that you were just a myth with the way Spike goes on about you, but you look very real to me,” Gunn commented.

Angel leered at her. “Very real indeed, it looks like Spike might take a while at the bar. It’s a pretty busy night and all, would you like to dance?”

Buffy didn’t think that would be a very good idea, but didn’t want to seem rude in front of his friends. “Sure, that sounds nice.” She stood up and walked over with him to the dance floor.

Angel wrapped his arms around her tiny frame and danced slowly to the song that was playing.

Buffy was very uncomfortable, but moved as well as she could.

The song ended and a slower one began.

Angel felt someone tap his shoulder and turned to see Spike.

“Can I cut in?” he wondered, irritation in his voice.

Angel held his hands up in surrender and stepped away.

Spike grabbed his arm before he could leave. “Back off, Peaches. She’s engaged,” he practically growled in his ear, but not enough for Buffy to hear over the music.

Angel nodded reluctantly and headed back to the table.

Spike turned to Buffy and took her in his arms.

She sighed in relief at the more comfortable fit and placed her arms around his neck.

“I’m sorry about him, pet. Angel has a habit of being a little too hands on.”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s okay, I like your friends. They seem like a fun group.”

Spike agreed. “They have their moments,” he claimed, continuing the dance. Spike loved the feel of her in his arms. It was like she was meant to be there, but he quickly banished those thoughts. She was engaged to be married and nothing he did could ever change that, no matter how much he wanted to.


* * * * *


“That’s the girl you were so in love with?” Faith wondered when Spike came back to the table without Buffy, who decided to go to the restroom.

Spike let out a sigh. “I would appreciate you not saying that around her.”

Faith raised her eyebrows. “What? She never knew how you felt?”

“No, she doesn’t and I would like to keep it that way. She’s getting married.”

“Doesn’t? Do you still have feelings for her?” Fred asked, finally speaking up. She was the shy, quiet type and would only say something if it really needed to be said.

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “I guess the feelings never really went away.”

Faith gave him a smirk. “So, have you told her about us?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Have I told her about the one time we slept together that meant nothing? No, I didn’t think that was worth mentioning. I’m still trying to forget about it.”

Faith placed her hand over her heart. “You wound me, Pratt. And here I was thinking that I rocked your world,” she said teasingly.

Spike chuckled. “You did at that, pet, but you’re like a sister to me. I was just really drunk and probably would have slept with anyone.”

Gunn cleared his throat. “As stimulating as this is, I would rather not hear about your sexual experiences with my girlfriend. Could we talk about something else?”

Faith smiled and moved closer to him, planting a kiss on his cheek. “You know you’re the only one I want, baby.”

Gunn put his arm around her. “You better say that.”

Wesley did the same with Fred, pressing a kiss into her hair.

Xander and Anya were probably off somewhere making out, while Angel was looking for his new flavor of the week.

Spike just remained where he was and waited for Buffy to return. He glanced around at all of the couples and felt saddened. It seemed like he was the only one that was single these days. Sure there was Harmony, but she was hardly anyone he could see having a future with. The bint drove him out of his bloody mind. Spike was determined to end things with her, but he would hold off on that until after Buffy went home. He wanted to at least feel like he wasn’t the only one not in a relationship.


* * * * *


Buffy took another look in the bathroom mirror and sighed at her appearance, glancing down at her engagement ring. Being around William again was starting to make her doubt her recent choices. Riley was a great man, but there was something missing in their relationship. She couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but seeing William again was opening up her eyes a bit. He was her best friend and first real crush, even though he would never know that. She didn’t realize just how much she missed him, until now. It was obvious they both moved on, but she couldn’t stop thinking about the past. Buffy shook her thoughts away and stared at her reflection one more time, then made her way out of the restroom and back into the club. She put a smile on her face and headed over to William, hoping that this little trip would help her realize just what had been missing in her life.