Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 6

“Thanks for taking me out tonight, Will. I had a good time. It feels like it’s been so long since I just relaxed and had some real fun.”

Spike smiled. “I’m just glad that you enjoyed yourself. How long do you plan on staying here?” he suddenly asked.

Buffy shrugged. “I’m not really sure. I would like to get to know Joyce and her family better, and of course there’s catching up with you. Now that I don’t have to worry about classes, I guess there’s no real hurry for me to get home.”

“What about the wedding preparations? I’m sure you’re excited to get back to that.”

She thought about it. “I don’t know. I suppose we have a lot to do, but Riley doesn’t seem all that interested in the planning. I’m not looking forward to doing everything myself, and I hate to ask my parents for help.”

Spike stopped their walk to look at her. “It’s his wedding, too. Why wouldn’t he want to help out?”

“Riley doesn’t think that’s his territory. He made it perfectly clear that he would be fine with whatever I decide to do.”

The more Spike learned about her significant other, the more he didn’t like. “You remember freshman year? You told me that you planned your wedding since you could talk. It was when we first became friends. I thought you were insane to already have all of that figured out, what song you wanted for the first dance, what dress you would be wearing, but now you seem to have a hard time of it. What happened to all of your plans?”

Buffy glanced away from him. “I grew up. I was just a stupid kid then, I didn’t know anything about what planning a real wedding would be like. I had no idea it would be so exhausting, but I don’t regret anything. I love Riley and I know he loves me. That’s all I need to know.”

Spike didn’t seem so convinced, but decided not to say anything else about it. He just took her hand in his and gave it a firm squeeze. “For what it’s worth, I think you’ll be a beautiful bride.”

She blushed. “Somehow I doubt that.”

He pulled on her hand and got her to look up at him. “You still do that. Every time I paid you a compliment in the past, you could never accept it. Just take it with a smile and a nod, Buffy. I know what I’m talking about and trust me, you’re beautiful. I’ve always thought so.”

Buffy could tell how sincere he was and smiled. “Thanks, I’ve always thought you were beautiful, too.”

Spike chuckled as her cheeks heated up, her embarrassment charming to him. “Don’t worry, I know what you meant. Well, it’s getting late. I should take you back now.”

Buffy could only nod as she followed him to his car.


* * * * *


Spike spent the rest of the night in his room, browsing through a few photo albums. He smiled at a picture of him and Buffy that was taken a few months after they met. It was the first time he invited her over to his house. Spike was smitten the second he laid eyes on her, figuring that she would never see him as more than a friend. He had to manage four years of seeing her with different blokes that were completely opposite to him. Buffy always did have a thing for the tall, dark, mysterious types. He had a feeling that was exactly what she was going to marry, too. He didn’t have to meet Riley to know that.

“William, are you all right? I knocked, but you didn’t answer.”

Spike glanced up at his mother, surprised that he didn’t hear her knock. “I’m fine, just going down memory lane.”

She smiled and entered the room. “You haven’t looked through those in quite some time. Are you sure everything’s okay?”

He nodded. “It was great talking with Buffy tonight. I never realized just how much I missed her.”

Anne sat down on the edge of his bed, gazing at the pictures that had him so enraptured.

“This one was always my favorite. It was taken in our backyard, right after I turned the hose on her. You remember that, Mum? She was complaining about it being so hot out, so I wanted to help by cooling her off. God, she was so mad at me afterwards, but still smiled for the picture. She always did have a gorgeous smile.”

Anne patted her son on the arm. “I know how hard this must be for you.”

Spike rubbed his eyes, finally revealing what he kept inside all night. “How can she be getting married? I want to be happy for her, but it’s killing me. I just know this bloke doesn’t even appreciate her. He doesn’t even want to participate with the wedding. If Buffy was going to be my wife, I would do whatever she wanted. I would do anything just to bring a smile to her face. I wasted all of this time, it’s not bloody fair. It’s not bloody fair that he gets to marry her. He doesn’t deserve her, Mum. I know he doesn’t. I tried so hard to put these feelings behind me, but seeing her again brought them all back out. How can I just let her go now?”

Anne took a deep breath, hoping that she was doing the right thing. “I think she’s just as confused as you are, William. It might help both of you if she knew how you felt all these years. That girl loves you dearly.”

He shook his head. “Maybe as a friend, but that’s it.”

“I suppose you’ll never know, unless you talk to her.”

Spike watched as his mother stood and made her way out of the room, wondering if there was any truth to her words.


* * * * *


Buffy clicked her phone shut with a sigh. That was the third time she tried calling Riley and continued to get his voicemail, figuring that he was probably out with his friends.

“What are you doing?”

She looked up at the angelic voice to see little Samantha standing in the doorway. “I was just trying to reach my boyfriend; I guess he’s not around right now.”

Sam moved into the room and jumped on the bed, making herself more comfortable. “Does he make you feel like a princess?”

Buffy smiled at the child. “Sometimes, why do you ask?”

She shrugged. “Daddy always makes Mommy feel like a princess. When I get big, I want someone to treat me like a princess.”

Buffy lay down in the bed, looking over at her new sister. “I’m sure you will.”

“Uncle Spike says that I’m his princess, but he’s too old.”

Buffy laughed. “You wanna hear a story?”

She nodded eagerly. “Is it about a princess?”

“You could say that, but you have to promise that you’ll get right to bed when I’m done. It’s too late for little girls to be up.”

Sam nodded again and waited for her to continue.

Buffy got more comfortable as well and told of a story about a young girl that met her Prince Charming, but had to eventually let him go. Not knowing that she would find him again years later. If only a little too late, but she was determined for this story to have a happy ending.