Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 7

“Here’s your glass of water, Mum. Are you sure you’re feeling okay?”

Anne smiled and took the glass from him. “I’m all right, William. It’s just a little cough. You don’t have to stay in with me today. Go out with your friends, I’ll be fine.”

He shook his head. “I really think I should stay with you. Besides, I don’t have any plans today.”

“Knock knock, I come bearing some liquid goodness.”

Spike turned at the appearance of Buffy in the doorway, holding a bowl in her hands.

She graced them with a smile. “Sorry to intrude like this, but the front door was open. Joyce thought you could use some of her special chicken noodle soup, for all that ails you.”

Spike smiled as well, taking the bowl from her and placing it next to his mother’s bed. He knew it likely wouldn’t do anything to help her, but the gesture was sweet.

Anne reached out and grasped Buffy’s hand. “You’re such a dear girl. You make sure that man of yours treats you right.”

Buffy blushed. “I’ll be sure to do that.”

Anne let her hand go and addressed both of them. “You two get going now, you have much catching up to do. I don’t want you to waste the whole day by staying here with me.”

Spike pressed a quick kiss to her forehead. “You rest now, Mum. I’ll be back soon,” he whispered, then left the room with Buffy.

She didn’t speak up, until they were out of the house. “She doesn’t just have a cold, does she?”

Spike shook his head, not sure what else to say.

“What’s wrong with her?” Buffy asked, suddenly very worried.

Spike took in a deep breath before answering. “She was diagnosed with Cancer last year. I’ve been by her side through everything. Took her to all of her doctor’s appointments, but there’s not much more they can do for her.”

Buffy placed her hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry, Will. I wish there was something I could do.”

He gave a small smile. “You being here right now is more than I could ever ask for.”

Buffy felt touched and took his hand in hers, giving it a comforting squeeze. “I wish we didn’t drift apart. I really missed you.”

Spike brought her hand up to his lips, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. “I really missed you, too.”


* * * * *


“So, have you talked to the fiancé since you’ve been here?”

Buffy nodded, licking her ice cream cone. “I talked to him once after I arrived, but I haven’t been able to reach him since then. He’s probably busy.”

It was hard for Spike to concentrate on her words, too fixated on the sight in front of him. He never knew that he could be jealous of an ice cream cone.

Buffy finally finished and threw her cone away, not realizing the affect it had on him. “I really like it here. It’s quiet and peaceful, not like the craziness of LA. Give me the small town life any day,” she said with a grin.

“Well, you could always move here,” he replied, trying not to sound too eager.

Buffy actually gave it some consideration. “I doubt Riley would go for that. He has plans that involve us moving to Iowa, so I’ll probably have more of a farmer life.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “I’m guessing you’re not too thrilled about that.”

She shook her head. “Really not, we’re still talking about it. I just couldn’t imagine being so far away from my family. I don’t even think his family likes me all that much.”

“How is that possible?” he wondered.

Buffy shrugged. “I have no idea, but I could just tell that his mother hates me. I’m sure it will take time for them to get used to me, but I’m going to marry Riley, whether they like me or not. They’re just gonna have to deal. I can tell my friends and parents aren’t all that fond of him, either. They just don’t know him like I do.”

Spike nodded and held back what he really wanted to say. That maybe Riley wasn’t the right guy for her, but he didn’t want to make her angry.

“Blondie Bear! What are you doing here with her? I thought we were going out tonight.”

Spike groaned. “Bloody hell, someone up there really hates me,” he mumbled. “For the last time, I never made any plans with you.”

She pouted. “Well, that still doesn’t explain why you’re out on a date with another woman.”

“It’s not a date, Harmony. I told you, Buffy is an old friend of mine.”

Harmony scrunched up her nose again at that name. “Whatever, just remember whose boyfriend you are, Spikey. I can forgive you this time, but I might not be so generous next time.”

Spike was willing to do whatever he could to finally get rid of the irritating bint, but Buffy beat him to it.

“Come on, Spike. You can tell her the truth,” she said, wrapping her arms around him and glaring at the blonde. “We’re together now; he just didn’t want to hurt your feelings. Isn’t that right, baby?”

Spike was stunned by her actions, but quickly caught on to what she was doing. He grinned and turned to Harmony. “That’s right, Harm. It’s been over with us for a while now; I just didn’t know how to tell you. Buffy’s the only girl for me,” he admitted, but pretended that it was just part of the act.

Harmony’s jaw dropped. “I can’t believe you’re breaking up with me, and for someone like her? She’s not even that pretty. We are so over, Spike. You’re so going to miss me. When you realize that and come crawling back to me, you’ll know what it’s like to be dumped,” she stated, then marched out of the ice cream shop.

Buffy watched her go in amusement, not feeling at all bad for their little deception. She didn’t understand what William saw in her, but supposed she had no place to judge. It had been years since she last saw him and couldn’t expect for him to be the same person that she went to high school with, they were both different now.

Spike stared at her in awe. He knew it was just an act, but suddenly couldn’t take it anymore. The one woman that he had ever been in love with was with him again, and he was willing to do whatever he could to keep her. With that thought in mind, he grabbed her around the waist and crashed his lips to hers.