Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks all for waiting, took a while to get this sorted, had no time! thanks again for all the wonderfully kind reviews, and thanks to andy for betaing yet again! oh, and i know i mentioned it on the tag board, but not sure how many people read that, so this is a link to my boyfriends new fiction site, for any budding original fic authors looking for somewhere to post! http://fictionkingdom.hyperphp.com
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Chapter 5 – Realisations.

Willow immediately charged for the front door, hurrying to shut it in her ex-friend’s face. But, before she could, Buffy stood up, moving forward and placing a halting hand on Willow’s arm. “It’s ok Wills, I wanna hear what she wants to say” she said, opening the door wider and stepping out onto the porch. She sat on the porch steps, allowing enough room for Dru to sit down next to her. Willow hung back by the door, deciding to give the two some space.

Buffy stayed quiet, and waited for the raven haired woman to start her explanation. When after a minute she hadn’t been forthcoming, she turned her head to face her, saying “Anytime tonight Dru, I was having a nice evening till you showed and I’d like to get back to it. That is if it’s not too much trouble?” as she finished the sentence, she flashed such a saccharine, sarcastic smile in her direction, Dru almost looked nervous. Only almost, though.

When she turned her head, she had such an evil, worrying look on her face that Buffy visibly flinched. She let out a slight cackle, and the blond wondered how she’d never seen this side of Dru before, after all, she’d known her for five years. She finally began speaking, and Buffy almost wished she hadn’t bothered. “The stars showed me Buffy. You weren’t right for ‘im, my Angel. Him and me, we’re right for each other.”

Buffy could feel her eyes welling up with tears, and stood up off of the steps, the wine she’d consumed earlier that evening giving her the courage, but also making her wobble a little as she stood. She towered over the pregnant woman, and felt all of her hatred building up. “How could you do it Dru? How could you marry Riley knowing that you loved Angel? And the baby, how long were you going to trick him into thinking he’d be a father, huh?” She almost couldn’t believe the nerve of the woman, turning up at her house like this. *Hang on, this isn’t my house!* “How the hell did you find me Dru? No one knows I’m here but Willow, and from the way she reacted just now she didn’t invite you here for a heart to heart.”

“I told you love, the stars. They whispered to Miss Edith, and she whispered to me. Told me you were here with William, that I could find you with your one true love. Don’t you see it Buffy? You and Angel, you were never meant to be, nor were Riley and me. But you and William, you have passion. You smolder when you’re together, you can feel the heat all around you. That’s why Angel hated him so much, he knew he’d be the one to take away what was his. That’s why he came to me.” She smiled softly at Buffy, almost looking back to her normal self. “Him and me are just like you and sweet William. We’re meant to be. You’ll see, soon enough.”

Buffy looked astonished at Dru’s revelations. Not that she believed any of it for a second, and who the hell was Miss Edith?! No, it was too crazy, she’d never seen her friend like this before, and it was scaring her. Must be a pregnancy thing, she’d flipped. “Dru, I don’t know why you came here tonight, but you’re not making any sense. Oh, and Angel, you’re welcome to him. Do you really think you’re the first? You’re not, he’s done it before. That’s why he hates ‘Spike’ so much, because ‘Spike’ saw him with someone else when we were first together, and he was worried he’d tell me. And Spike and I? You think that’s going to happen? You’re delusional Dru, and probably highly hormonal, but not right. We will never be together, we’re just friends, that’s all. He doesn’t like me that way, and anything more would ruin our friendship, which we’ve just gotten back…”

“Have you heard yourself Buffy? All you’ve said so far is that you don’t think he feels that way, you don’t want to ruin your friendship, and how long was I going to string poor Riley along for. Not one thing you’ve said has been about the fact that you think William and you deserve each other, or about how you love Angel. The two of you are meant to be, you just have to open your eyes. Now I have to leave, Angel and I are going to London to stay with my parents. I wanted to come and see you before I left, make you see the truth. If Miss Edith says anything else, I’ll be sure to let you know. Take care of William for me Buffy, you need each other.”

Buffy was in shock, not even noticing as Dru left, and tears clouded her eyes. Her Angel was definitely lost forever then. And what was that about her and Spike? They were meant to be? She thought back to earlier in the kitchen, and this morning. It had felt right. It had felt natural, not like with her and Angel. She could feel the tears slipping down her cheeks, and silent sobs starting to wrack her body, out for everyone to see, but she didn’t have the energy to move. She suddenly felt tired, too tired to deal with any of the stuff that had happened with Dru and Angel. Too tired to care about how Riley was dealing. She didn’t want to have to go back inside and talk to Willow, fussing over her. So, she decided, she’d stay right there, on the steps, till she had the energy to go inside again. The tears on her cheeks dried as she drifted into sleep.


****************************************************************************************


Spike finished his shower, heading downstairs to find Willow nervously twisting her hair round her finger and sitting on the bottom stair. “Red? Where’d Buffy go?” he asked, startling her enough to jump up, her hand going to her heart and causing her to make a little squeak.

“Spike! You nearly scared me half to death!” she tossed a nervous smile in his direction, but wouldn’t meet his eyes, instead staring at the ground. She looked at the front door, and into the living room and back to Spike, trying to gather the courage to tell him what’d happened whilst he was in the shower. “Umm…well, Dru kinda showed up and…”

Spike looked ready to rip someone’s head off, and stormed towards the front door, gripping the handle in this palm “what the bloody hell does she think she’s doing? Does she not know when to stay away?! Buffy was having a good evening, and she turns up? Damn bitch, I’ll kill ‘er if she’s upset my girl.” He stopped, realizing that he’d just said ‘my girl’ to Willow, and looked sheepishly back at her.

Willow just gazed back at him, a smile washing over her features. She knew he’d had a thing for her best friend, and now she had her proof. When she’d seen the two of them earlier it’d been like two people made for each other. And when they’d been friends you just had to watch the way Spike looked at the blond, with such adoration in his eyes, it was sweet. But Buffy had always been blind to what was right in front of her, going for Angel over her friend and not seeing what could have been right for her. Now Willow knew there was a chance she could have the happy ending they both deserved. “Spike, don’t worry, I know you like Buffy, I just hope we can get her to see that you’re perfect for her.”

“Really? You approve? Wait, you think we can show her? You think she’d ever like me like that?” He looked so hopeful that Willow almost laughed, but instead nodded, and looked towards the front door. He turned the handle, expecting to see arguing, or hair pulling or some such, but what greeted him was almost worse. Buffy was curled up asleep on the step, dry tear tracks on her cheeks. She’d clearly cried herself to sleep after seeing Dru.

Willow stepped outside, her heart warming at the sight of Spike bent down by her friend’s side, his hand stroking her cheek. As he did, Buffy seemed to nuzzle into his hand like a kitten, and Willow actually did let out a little “aww!” before she giggled. “Spike, I’d better get off now, you’ll be ok here?” she said, coming to stand in front of him on the steps.

“Yeah, red, I’ll be fine, you get yourself home. I can manage here fine. You need a ride? I can put her upstairs and…” Willow held up a hand, shaking her head in decline of his offer. “Right, well, if you’re sure!” He watched as she turned and went to walk away, getting half way down the front path before turning again.

She looked back at Spike, and said “Tell her I’ll phone her in a couple days? And if she needs me email cos I’ll be at Tara’s. I’ll let her explain that one to you.” She took another couple of steps, turned again, and finished with “Look after her Spike. She needs you, as much as you need her” before walking away and not looking back.

He turned back to Buffy, lifting her easily in his arms. She gripped onto his shirt automatically, shifting and nuzzling into his embrace knowing she was safe. “You hear that love? You need me as much as I need you apparently. We’re meant to be.”