Author's Chapter Notes:
Another short one. Sorry, they keep coming out that way. Lighter in tone, so a welcome little break from the angst.
"Hey Buffster, what's going on?" She smiled at her friend's exuberant voice and braced the phone on her shoulder as she looked over the papers for the gallery's latest acquisition.

"Hey Xan, not much. Dead day at the gallery. What's up with you?" Buffy replied.

"Not much. I hear you've got a hot date with Jake tomorrow. He's a nice guy, Buffy. Glad you decided to give him a chance. Anya's already cooking up future double dates. She's all excited about having another couple to do things with."

Buffy groaned. "Xander, we've said like five complete sentences to each other and danced once and you two have us all paired up already."

"Don't panic, Buffy! That's what tomorrow is for. Hey," his voice turned singsongy, "I know where you're going…wanna know?"

Buffy bit her lip. "Yeah, sure, the kind of surprises I get aren't usually of the good. Where are we going?"

"He's taking you to L.A. to dinner and the opera.

"Ok, dinner in L.A. sounds nice, but the opera! Uh, I'm more of a kung-fu, action flick type of girl as far as entertainment goes. Well that and the occasional obligatory sisterly bonding chick flick marathon. I've never been to the opera. Don't they sing in Italian? How will I know what's going on? Why the opera? Wait, isn't he a construction guy like you? Do construction guys go to the opera a lot? I-" Buffy babbled.

"Ok, breeeathe, Buffy. Yeah, the opera. Apparently, he's a fan and I assume he thinks you might like that cultural stuff too because you own that hoity toity art gallery." Xander did his best impression of a high society voice. "Hazards of the job, babe. Stereotyped by your mom's legacy. He didn't ask me. I would've known about the action fighty flick thing. As for construction guys going to the opera, I'll have you know we're a very refined bunch, thank you very much. Actually, he's a little more refined because he's just doing this gig until he finishes his masters in something."

"Masters in something?" Buffy asked dubiously.

"Yeah, um, he told me and I was listening, I really was, but then someone brought in doughnutty goodness and my priorities had to be reassessed."

Buffy smacked her forehead. "Helpful, Xan, helpful. More importantly, what the heck am I gonna wear to the opera? I mean, I have nice stuff, but I'm not sure whether I have anything that says 'night at the opera'. I'll have to go shopping today. Hey, when's he gonna tell me officially what time and where we're going?"

"Buffy, I'm sure he'd love whatever you wore and I think he's going to call you this afternoon. I gave him your cell." Xander laughed. "Hey! Anya's free now. She actually has someone in the shop that she trusts handling the money and leaving alone. She's all on board the Buffy and Jake bus, why don't you ask her if she wants to go do the girly mall stuff with you."

Buffy brightened. "Good idea, Xan. I'll give her a call when we hang up."

"Buffy," Xander said quietly, "How are you really doing? Got a little worried when you rushed out last night. Was Spike bothering you?"

"What? Spike? No…I didn't feel well. That's all. C'mon Xander, I see Spike every day here, it's not like I'm not used to ignoring him and dealing with him only when strictly necessary."

"I can't believe you still let him work with you after what he did." Xander growled.

Buffy sighed, "It's not like I'm letting him work here out of the goodness of my heart, Xan, he helps with the whole keeping the gallery open thing and making that green stuff your girlfriend loves so much."

"You've been running that place for a year and a half now, Buff, you could do it. You don't need him."

"No, I really can't. It's complicated and well…" Buffy floundered. "I have a shopping trip to set up! Fun, afternoon out get all pretty stuff! Oooo maybe we could get manicures and pedicures too, that'd be nice."

"Ok, Buffy." Xander paused. "You know I'm here if you need me."

"Yeah, Xan, I do. Thanks. Gonna go call Anya now." They exchanged goodbyes and Buffy hung up the phone.

o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Buffy threw her hands up in frustration. "Every time I find something I like, it's not in my size. You're so lucky not to be a petite size Anya. I can't find any size twos in the ones I like."

"Hey! It's not like I'm a large size." Anya protested.

"No, no, I mean, all of these dresses come in your size. You're the perfect size."

"Xander thinks so." Anya replied. "He especially likes the size of my-"

"Uh, so find anything yet?" Buffy hastily cut her off.

"How about this one, Buffy?" Anya held up a flowing, black silk charmeuse dress.

"Wow, that's gorgeous. It's a 2?"

"Yes. Go try it on. This is fun, but I don't like to leave the money too long. It might think I don't love it and run away." Anya handed her the dress. She fingered another dress nearby. "It might decide to defect to this store's cash register if I stay here too long. I can't let it do that."

Buffy changed quickly and came out to twirl for Anya.

"Oh my God, Buffy, that's the one. It looks great on you." Anya gushed.

"It does look good, doesn't it?" Buffy turned back and forth in front of the mirror to see it at all angles. The dress had a V-neck that hinted at cleavage, but didn't come close to 'slut'. 'Good for a first date,' Buffy thought. The fabric was gathered a little around her breasts, giving the illusion she had a little more up top than she did. It had wide straps over her shoulders leading to a lovely back that hit just below her shoulder blades. On the sides at the waist, two long silk ties were attached that knotted under her breasts at a point slightly higher than her waist; the ends dangled freely, a little below where the skirt hit at her knees. Buffy loved the way the skirt swirled around her; it made her feel feminine and sophisticated.

"Yeah, this is the one." She said. She was actually bouncing with excitement, having temporarily lost herself in the feeling of accomplishment at finding the absolutely perfect dress. She hugged a startled Anya. "Thank you for finding it!" She saw Anya's surprise and backed away, smiling. "Sorry, shopping high!"

"Ok, I'll take it off and then we can go find some killer shoes to go with it." Buffy babbled happily.

"Killer shoes, ok. Better hope Jake doesn't make you walk anywhere or they really will be killer shoes." Anya eyed the dress and pursed her lips, thinking. "You'll need a black silk shawl or something too, just in case, because you don't want to freeze."

"Check! Shawl and shoes. Oh and maybe a new purse to go with." She dashed back into the changing cubicle.

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


Back at home, shopping bags in hand, Buffy dropped gratefully onto the sofa. It had been a wonderful afternoon. She'd been able to forget everything in the joy of shopping. She'd found a pair of black, four inch heel open toe sandals to go with the dress. The delicate straps curved gracefully up to clasp her ankles with a tiny, sparkling crystal buckle. Her new purse was a simple, black beaded shell clutch.

She'd spent far too much money, but right now, she didn't care. The gallery was doing well and she wasn't hurting for money. She'd been setting aside most of the money for Dawn's tuition and rarely splurged on things for herself, so the money spent today wouldn't be a hardship. She'd been scrubbed, wrapped and relaxed and she had a beautiful new outfit. She admired the shine of her black cherry polished nails.

She curled up and rested her head on the back of the couch, a smile on her face. For the first time in a while, she felt truly happy and optimistic. Shopping was the only drug for her, she mused contentedly, and she closed her eyes for a brief nap.

*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*


The door chimed softly and Spike looked up. A tall man holding a single rose walked in and over to the desk where Spike stood.

“Hello, may I help you?” Spike asked.

“I’m hoping you can,” the man said with a broad grin, “is Buffy Summers in?