Author's Chapter Notes:
many many thanks to cordykitten,rragb and amelia. I'll admit it I'm a review whore, they make me so happy. so more please
‘Xander, Xander,’ Spike shouted as he went through the big glass doors that led into Xander’s studio-cum-office. Anya poked her head out of the small office she used.

‘No use shouting, Spike, he’s not here.’ She said coldly.

Spike took a good long look at Anya. She looked exhausted, and worried. There was a haunted look in her eyes that seemed to conceal her normally bubbly personality.

Spike pulled her into his arms and swung her round. ‘How’s my second best friend today?’

‘Second best?’ She looked at him. What was he up to? In the last three months he’d hardly said a word to her face and here he was all smiles and cheeriness.

‘Well, no-one comes above Xander, well not until this little one comes along and completely steals my heart and soul.’ Spike put a hand on Anya’s swollen abdomen.
‘Have I told you how grateful I am for the gift you’re giving me?’ He asked, his heart and soul showing in his eyes.

She shook her slowly, ‘no.’

‘Well I am. You are a wonderful lady and I’m proud to know you. You’re brave and honest and I should have told you forever ago, and I’m sorry I didn’t. Now,’ he continued, ‘I have an idea. How about we buy a huge plot of land an hour or so out of the city, somewhere with fresh air and less traffic?’

‘I’m not moving in with you, we don’t love each other William, and I don’t want to spoil what we do have.’

‘No, I agree, we don’t love each other, but we DO love this little one.’ Spike put a proprietary hand on Anya’s swollen stomach again. ‘And we both know what it’s like to grow up without love, so I’m Dad, you’re Mom and we work out everything else from there. But only if it’s in niblet’s best interests. Agreed?’

‘Agreed…’ Anya said slowly, as if waiting for the catch.

‘Right. I’m thinking we buy a huge plot of land and build two wonderful houses, plus a guest house for the nanny. We each have our own lives, but it will be gated and safe for you, because security will be a problem once the baby is born.’

‘I hadn’t thought about security,’ Anya mumbled.

‘Its OK, that’s my job, taking care of you both, but you have your house, I have mine, niblet has his or her own room in both, we can have a gym, swimming pool, the works and live independent lives but still be close should the baby need us both. Well, what do you think?’

‘Give me a couple of days but yes, I can see it. William, what made you change? You seemed so angry at me.’

‘Yes, well, I’m an idiot, but I realised what was important today. And that’s you and the baby. Even if we‘re not a couple we are both parents, and that has to be my priority.’

‘Spike.’

‘Yes pet?’

‘Thanks.’

Spike shot her one of his famous grins and sat back in the chair.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Waiting for Xander and you to finish work, then taking the mother of my child out for a meal.’

‘Well you’re not hanging round here, you’ll put paying customers off! Go away and come back at 5.30. I’ve got a doctor’s appointment at five and you can see Xander in peace while I’m out.’

‘No.’ he said, quietly, firmly.

‘No? What do you mean no?’

‘I meant it when I said we’re in this together, now where’s this doctor’s I’m taking you to?’



William Spike Atherton looked at the small screen with tears in his eyes. Hollywood’s hard man, hero and all around good guy was crying over a tiny, blurred image on a monitor.

‘Everything’s OK?’ He managed to get out, his eyes still pinned to the figure on the screen.

‘Everything’s fine, now do you want to know the sex?’

‘Yes,’ said Anya, without thought, ‘that way I will save money by only buying what I need.’

Spike laughed. Anya would never change.

‘Whatever you say pet, whatever you say.’

The technician looked again and took some measurements. She pushed and pulled the probe over Anya.
‘First they tell you to drink lots, then they tell you not to pee, then they push hard on your bladder! It’s cruel,’ Anya complained.

Spike laughed even harder. The technician continued to look at the screen.

‘It’s a boy, you’re having a boy,’ she said.

‘I’ve got a son,’ Spike whispered quietly, ‘I’ve got a son!’

The tech handed over a couple of prints to Anya, ‘for you to keep.’

‘I want one,’ Spike pouted.

Anya laughed and carefully separated the two pictures. ‘There,’ she said, ‘one each.’

Spike put the picture into his wallet as though it were the most precious thing in the world. He watched as Anya wiped off the goo they had spread all over her and then helped her off the couch.

‘Just a few more checks on Mom and you’re free.’

Spike just nodded, his mind still full of the wonderful sight of HIS SON sucking his thumb.

Anya and Spike made their way up to the desk to fill out the last of the forms. The nurses on duty were obviously whispering about him. Anya smiled quietly to herself. She was enough of a woman to be really proud of the fact that everyone knew who Spike was.

The other mom’s were doing double-takes as they saw Spike help Anya into the elevator and head down stairs. Spike knew the news would be out within a day. He had to act fast to protect Anya.

‘Pet?’

‘Yes William?’

Spike loved it when she called him that, his real name; meant that she saw him, not the actor.

‘We need to get my publicist onto this straight away. Those damn mobiles with cameras in ‘em were being used: we’ll be all over the tabloids tomorrow. Better we break the news ourselves: then we can spin it.’

Anya looked at him, he was obviously trying to do his best for her, and it filled her with warmth. The friendship that had been missing was back.

‘Agreed, now you can handle that, and I’m going shopping.’

‘After food, you haven’t eaten yet.’

Spike flagged down a cab and headed out for the Bronze, it was a wonderful eatery used by those in the know. Paparazzi weren’t allowed in at all. They did Buffalo wings and flowering onions, and had a dance floor. His lady needed a night out. Friends they were and Friends they would stay.

Anya felt tired the next morning: she had had a wonderful night, and her feet hurt. They had sat and talked for hours about where they wanted the friendship to go, their priorities for the boy, names for their son. Then Spike had taken her shopping and she had done major damage to his credit card. The nursery furniture was bought and paid for, and due to be delivered in a week. Her wardrobe was full of wonderful maternity clothes, and the new apartment would be ready for her to move into in three days. Big enough for the new baby as well as the nanny they would need. The biggest surprise was when he guided her into the most wonderful jewellers and picked out a wonderful necklace for her. He would have bought a ring, but Anya didn’t want that, a ring was wrong for them on so many levels.

Today she had the task of finding a huge plot of land, at least ten acres, for Spike to build the estate. William was already in with Xander explaining what he wanted. Lorne had come in this morning as well and both men were looking at the designs. From the sounds coming from the office Lorne was correcting all the designs for artistic reasons.

‘The way you’re going you should move in as well,’ Spike joked.

Lorne looked at Xander and Xander looked at Lorne. They were doing the communicating without speaking bit again, it was creepy but it showed just how close they really were. Xander turned back to Spike.

‘If you’re serious man, we’ll think about it.’

‘We’ll all think about it, Harrison deserves a family.’

‘Harrison?’ Lorne asked.

‘Yeh, he’s a boy and Anya liked Harrison. Harrison William Atherton, poor child.’ Answered Spike with a grin.