Author's Chapter Notes:
many thanks as always to Jennifer O'Neil and Cordykitten for the reviews. they made my day. and I'm hiding behind the sofa after this chapter as i know some of you are not going to like it
Fred was holding onto Spike’s cell phone for grim death. They were filming the last scene of the movie, only a week late and Amy was being a bitch. She was deliberately messing up her lines, and missing her spots. Today of all days. The director was really beginning to lose his temper and everyone was staying out of his way if at all possible. How hard could it be, thought Fred, walk over to Spike, kiss him gently on the lips and thank him for finding your brother’s killer, then walk out the office. It wasn’t rocket science by any stretch of the imagination, but Amy was being difficult. She’d been like this since the news was announced about the baby.

The newspapers and TV had been full of stories about Spike’s secret girlfriend and their love child. Spike had spun it as best he could and it had soon settled down. Ted, the director, had thought the timing was brilliant, just the sort of publicity he needed for the film.

Fred was very grateful to be out of the firing line. She had the most important job in the place according to the crew (except Amy of course, according to Amy) and that was to hold Spike’s phone, which was switched to silent, and wait for it to vibrate in her hand. Only three people in the world had the number for this phone: Lorne, Xander and Anya. If it rang it meant Anya was in labour and the fast motorbike and rider waiting outside were to race through the LA traffic to the hospital.

Everyone had been really surprised when Spike had announced the pregnancy just nine weeks ago, and the baby was already a week late in arriving. ‘Didn’t want to leave his mom,’ was Spike’s more polite comment.

‘And Cut!’ screamed Ted, the director. ‘What the hell do you think you’re doing Amy?’ He yelled. ‘It can’t be that hard, just walk over to the desk, give him a gentle kiss and thank him for his services, no smirking, no improvising, just do it!’

The look on Amy’s face made it clear that she realised she’d gone too far.
‘Action!’ was yelled again. Spike had looked thoroughly fed up at doing this simple scene for the eleventh time!

Amy strolled over and managed to just brush Spike’s lips and say her line. Spike looked into her eyes. The pupils were like pinpricks. So that was the problem, Amy was high on something. Most probably the coke she used to stay thin. Spike’s pet hate, holding onto the walking skeletons that inhabited the film industry. His dreams were filled by real women, who had hips and curves and boobs that were all natures own and nothing to do with a surgeon’s skill. He did his job though and made out he liked bones digging into him. He shuddered at how close he’d come to being the drugged up idiot who couldn’t do their job properly.

Fred was disturbed by the phone vibrating in her hand…

‘Cut: that’s a wrap!’ shouted Ted with relief. Fred jumped up from where she had been sitting and ran across the set waving the phone.

‘Spike, Spike!’ she yelled, her Texan drawl loud and clear above the noise on set. Spike looked round to see Fred charging at him like a lunatic.

‘Message has come through, time to leave!’ she shouted.

The cheering was started by one of the cameramen and continued around the set as Spike Atherton, still in his tweedy costume, ran to the door and was whisked away by the rider waiting for him. It only took him seventeen minutes to weave through the traffic, taking every shortcut known to man and messenger, to make it to the hospital. They were so quick that they arrived a couple of minutes ahead of Lorne and Xander who had driven Anya in from home.


Xander arrived at the hospital the next morning with a huge bouquet of flowers and the finished drawings for the new houses; he had been showing them to Anya when her pains had started. It was so funny seeing him run round her apartment like a lunatic. He had forgotten her case the first time out of the door, which is why Spike had made it to the hospital before them. Lorne was besotted by the baby, he and Xander had never thought it possible to have a family of their own, but this was definitely the next best thing.

Anya was delighted with the plans. She had been correcting them during her hospital stay: now there were four houses with a range of staff quarters in an annexe, swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym. They would hopefully be finished by Harri’s first birthday. Anya had found the perfect site, high in the hills, over twenty acres and with amazing views. Work was due to start the following month.

The reporters surrounded the hospital day and night until Spike and Anya were seen leaving three days later with Harrison William Atherton, 7lb 4 oz. He had his daddy’s eyes and his mom’s chin according to the proud Papa.

That night Spike found himself up in the garden again. Giles was waiting for him in his office.

‘Congratulations on your son,’ he said, handing Spike a glass of champagne. ‘How are you feeling tonight?’

‘Amazing. Watching Harri come into the world was probably the best moment of my life. He’s beautiful and cute and tiny. I didn’t realise that they came so small!!’ Spike said, accepting the glass from the older man.

‘And how are you and Elizabeth doing, may I ask?’

‘Better. I really love the lady, and I know I messed up but she’s forgiven me, and I am so grateful for the second chance.’

‘As long as you appreciate her and it. Now I have to talk to you about something else. I realise that you and she do really love one another, but you were not meant to meet in this lifetime. Now you are a new father, you should really concentrate on earthly matters. You no longer need Buffy’s help.’

Spike went to interrupt but Giles held up a hand. ‘Let me finish, please.’
Spike settled back down into his chair.

‘I can truly understand that you want to stay with Buffy, but if you spend all your energy here there will be none left for your son or his mother, nor for the lessons you were supposed to learn on earth. You have been given a truly heavenly gift, you have a child and you should really spend all your time and energy on him. So I am allowing you and Buffy this night, then you will not see each other for at least a year.’

‘No: I can’t!’

‘You must. Buffy needs to move on with her life too. She has to live, and the hardest thing to do in life sometimes is to live it. It is all too easy to forget to live down there, then all the lessons you should have learnt will have to be taught again. Is that what you want?’

Spike shook his head.

‘I will allow one more night together, then that’s it, for at least a year,’ he repeated. ‘But because of the love you share, the Powers have said that you may spend the whole of your next lives together, as lovers. You can meet young and never part. This is quite an offer: normally we are working between seven and ten lives ahead, but there are those in power that have a very soft spot for Buffy and you have impressed them as well, so they have agreed. One good life together, then we’ll see what happens next.’

Spike looked at the champagne; he put the glass down on the table. ‘I have no choice, do I?’

‘Not really. If you continue to see her here she won’t live on earth: she will merely exist. You have good friends and a child who is healthy. Please allow Buffy to live her life as well.’

‘I do love her, you know…’

‘I know. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t even think of our offer, you would simply reject it and keep seeing her here, no matter how much she needs the separation from you. You are all she thinks about. There is a chance of a good life for her and she can’t even see it, a life full of love and happiness as well as challenges, but she has to let go of the intimacy you have created. Can you do that, for Buffy?’

‘I can do anything for Buffy,’ he whispered.

‘I know, and that year will fly by, these dreams will fade and before you know it you will be back. Now and go see her and say goodbye for now: and both of you LIVE. Oh and Spike, if you really need us one of us will answer your prayers.’

Giles sat down at his desk and watched as Spike left through the French Windows and made his way out into the garden. He held his head in his hands and felt like crying. He felt as though he had betrayed Buffy and his heart was heavy.

‘It was needed my son,’ said a gentle voice. ‘If they are true soul mates they need this time apart to discover themselves.’

‘I know Father,’ Giles said, ‘but why do I feel such a cad for doing this to them?’

‘No parent likes watching their child suffer, and you truly love Buffy like a daughter. But that isn’t enough for Buffy, she cannot be protected from every ill wind. She is one of the Golden Ones, she needs a soul mate as strong as she is or they will never reach the heights they were intended to. Let William become all that he can be. He is still relying on this place and our darling Elizabeth for his strength. He has to find it within himself. Give him this year: you may be surprised at the results.’

The voice and the light faded, leaving Giles at peace.