Author's Chapter Notes:
a little spuffiness, but only a little
many thanks to those who review. i really enjoy reading them and they make me type faster
Spike couldn’t wait to fall asleep that night. He was buzzing. After two months he had been called back for a third, yes third, interview for a part in a new TV series: NEMO (Nomadic Environment for Marine Observation). It was to be about a submarine, set in the late twenty-first century, that travelled the globe sorting out environmental problems, helping undersea communities and being all around good guys. He was being asked to read the part of the captain, Lars Carlsson, a Norwegian with Degrees coming out of his ass and a very high IQ. A latter day hero type, who seemed to get the girl and save the day. His co-star was to be a dolphin that was supposed to be able to communicate with humans due to some implant or other. But they wanted him to do a couple of screen tests. One in a speedo in the pool for a couple of hours, and one on dry land - and could he scuba dive? Or was he willing to learn? William Atherton was amazed at how his luck was running. Angel and Dru dead and now buried, Darla was going away for years and now he was going to have a real chance at his own series. Life didn’t get any better. If only the groupies would leave him alone. Only today security had removed a couple of scantily clad females from his trailer before he’d even arrived for work.

He charged into Buffy’s place without even knocking. Little thinking anything of it. Giles was sitting on the sofa talking quietly with her when he burst in, lifting Buffy from the sofa and swinging her round and round.

‘Well I know something wonderful has happened, now to find out what,’ she said with a grin.

‘I got the part, I got the part! We start filming in about a month. It’s a huge, huge cast, lots of money and staring yours truly!’

‘Well I’m delighted for you, congratulations.’ Giles said, offering Spike his hand. ‘I’ll leave you to two celebrate, and Buffy we’ll talk again tomorrow.’

It finally sunk in that Giles had looked really serious when he’d burst in.

‘Didn’t interrupt anything, did I? I didn’t mean to, I was just so excited…’

‘It’s OK, you can drop the lost puppy look. Giles was just telling me that he needs some extra help at the clinic. We’ve a load of teenagers in, a bus crash, and he was wondering if I would spare him some time, and you don’t really need me professionally any more do you? We’ve been working for two years and you’re OK.’

‘No: I don’t want to lose you pet, I mean, he just looked cross with me, don’t send me away…’

‘Hey, I thought we dealt with those abandonment issues, and I’m not going anywhere! But a girl’s got to work, anyway that’s just Giles’ normal face, if anything he’s cross with me. Wants me to remember that I’d planned to get married in this life, but if I don’t start dating soon, it will be too late.’

Dating? Spike could feel the jealousy rise in him. She was his, not some other ponce’s.

‘Yes dating, you know, going out for a meal, getting to know someone, dating. I’m quite sure you understand the concept.’

Spike grinned. ‘I understand the concept all right luv, just not sure it should apply to you.’

Buffy’s face fell.

‘How about I date you? I can wine and dine you with the best of them.’

‘You are up here and we’re talking about down there,’ Buffy said with a false laugh. Buffy was a bit shocked, didn’t he think she was worth dating then? Probably not, ruined as she was. Oh well at least they were friends, she could give him that much: friends, loving friends. It was better than nothing.

‘Anyway, what’s this big news?’ She asked, making her face smile.

‘I’ve been offered a TV series.’

‘That’s wonderful news William, are you taking it?’

‘Too damn right I am! It’s the next big project for the fall season on Fox, they’re spending a fortune on it, marketing, everything. And I’m going to be the star!’

‘Congratulations, everything you worked for is coming together.’ Buffy said, her joy for him obvious in her eyes.

‘Hey.’ she added, ‘this means you’re going to be famous, I could get a picture of you.’

‘That’s not fair, I can’t have one of you.’

‘My luck, not yours.’

‘It’s been one hell of a day,’ continued Spike, ‘I have been passed from one set of hands to another, all after my body. I swear some of them were drooling.’

Buffy laughed at that. He looked like a lost schoolboy.

‘You enjoyed every minute of it, you big faker.’

‘Most of it I have to admit was fun, but the way they had their hands on my body when measuring me up for the costumes made me feel uncomfortable.’

‘What, the seamstresses?’

‘No, the assistant director was watching with undressing-me eyes.’

‘Nasty, I can appreciate that.’

‘Thought you might.’

They chatted on as they walked through the gardens.

‘I meant to ask,’ Buffy started, ‘how’s Xander? His exams must be coming up soon.’

‘Next week. He’s wandering around like a bear with a sore head, snapping at everything. Thing is he’ll sail them. He’s brilliant at the building stuff. He has a real flair for design. He’ll do great. There’s a company who liked one of his projects for college. They want to build it. It’s an art gallery come coffee shop. Xander’s delighted.’

‘I bet he is. I would be with something like that.’

It soon settled down to a lovely routine. William came through the door nightly with ‘a hi honey I’m home’, and they spent time talking, reading, playing games. Buffy went to the hospital, helping where she could, helping bring peace and closure to others.

Spike put his heart and his soul back together. They were at peace. The routine was restful and a complete contrast to the mayhem his earthly life had become.

August 19th, 11.30 pm before William Atherton finally managed to get to bed. He’d been aiming for an early night. The first part of the pilot had been shown to the producers the night before and the pre-publicity machine had started rolling. William Atherton was Hollywood’s latest hot property. His face was in magazines, on TV, everywhere you looked there were articles on him. Nothing was left out.

Spike had started to hide at home. Only his closest friends had his private number, read two people in the world. Anya Jenkins, and Xander Harris.

Anya was Xander’s new assistant cum PA at the office he’d managed to get a design job at. She terrified both men. Ruling poor Xander with a rod of iron, but she was good at her job. With Anya’s help Xander was getting more and more projects. The woman was a demon. No detail ever got overlooked, especially where it came to making money.

Spike wished he could visit the garden when he wanted to. Buffy had told him that she could go up when ever she wanted simply by meditating, but he had to get to sleep and hope he travelled. His diaries were getting fuller and fuller. He’d started writing poems again. He was getting a real sense of balance in his world.

Buffy looked at the latest magazine at the supermarket. Her William, all over the front cover of yet another magazine. Buffy was so glad his professional life was coming together.

She added the magazine to her trolley. A little indulgence, she thought to herself. She started her new job soon at the High School. Buffy Summers, counsellor.

That night Buffy was so pleased with herself. It was midnight before William appeared.

‘Happy Birthday,’ whispered Buffy and led William outside to the side of her house. Sitting there was a wonderful Harley.

‘For you,’ she said and undid the wrap-over dress she’d been wearing and slipped it off. Underneath she was dressed like a biker’s wet dream: tight black mini skirt and red halter neck. She looked wonderful.

‘Hop on,’ Buffy said.

‘Where to, Pet?’

‘That way,’ she pointed down the path. Spike swung his leg over the exquisite machine and fired her up. She purred like a tame kitten. Buffy climbed on the back and held on tight. She kept pointing the way as they wove through the pathways to a barn. The music coming from inside was thumping. The guards on the doors waved at Buffy and let them straight in.

‘Who’s playing, pet?’

‘Hendrix,’ Buffy replied. ‘Happy birthday. Oh, the bike is yours.’ Spike gave her a chaste kiss on the cheek and Buffy didn’t flinch.

They danced the night away, listening to some of the biggest (dead) names in music. It was one of the best nights that Spike could remember.
Sitting in Buffy’s sitting room later, he was still in a stupor, amazed at the evening he’d had, his hand rubbing up and down the neck of the guitar that JIMI HENDRIX had given him. He was even thinking it in capitals. Buffy smiled gently. She’d made him happy.

‘Good night luv,’ he whispered as his time came to leave and he softly brushed his lips against hers and she didn’t freeze.