Author's Chapter Notes:
Nope, doesn’t belong to me. Joss owns it all. Just a fan writing fic.

Wow, thanks for the positive reviews, guys. I’m really thrilled that you liked the beginning. I hope you continue to like this story. Okay, enough with the babbling and onto the fic! Oh, yeah, this chappie is un-beta’ed too. Warning: Buffy’s a little full of herself in this chapter, but don’t hate her to much. *wink*
Custode del Mio Cuore

By: Golden Buffy



Chapter Two

****

Buffy stood in front of the car gazing at the bungalow styled house and frowned. This was where she’d be living for God knew how long. She was about to turn around, slip back into the car and, refuse never to come out. Just as she was about to put action to her words the front door opened, and out walked a woman who looked much like her own mom. She came to a halt on the covered porch. Buffy could just make out a shadow that stood back inside the door frame. The woman smiled, “Welcome, Buffy.”


The teen just stared at her, dumfounded for a moment. It had been a long time since she had last seen her aunt Anna Beth, and she’d forgotten just how much she looked like her mother. But that was where the similarities ended. Where Buffy’s mother had frosted blonde high lights to complement her dirty blonde hair, Anna Beth retained her natural brunette locks. Joyce had spent many hours under the unforgiving California sun, and her skin was a testament to its deadly rays, but she had the bronze color women went nuts for, though her abused skin aged much faster than her aunt’s more youthful appearance. The surprising thing though, she was two years older than Joyce and two inches shorter. But the most important thing that stood out to Buffy was the fact that her aunt wasn’t a drunk.

Anna Beth smiled at Buffy, her hazel eyes were warm, accepting, and dare Buffy say, loving. They contained no malice for her being there with them. Buffy was also pleased to find that her aunt didn’t look upon her with pity, because that would have been the final nail in her coffin. Buffy didn’t want anyone pitying her or her current situation.

Anna Beth’s words finally caught up with Buffy’s thoughts, hadn’t she just welcomed her? ’Wouldn’t want your aunt thinking you were a total bitch, so make with the thank yous! Buffy shook her head. “Yeah, uh, thanks… I guess.”

Anna Beth walked down the steps to greet her niece properly; quickly scooping her up into a tight embrace. Buffy found herself awkwardly returning the hug. Public displays of affection weren’t something completely foreign to her, it just wasn’t something done with family. Anna Beth released the petite girl, and stepped back to get a better look at her.

“You look… well.” She made a mental note to feed the poor girl; she was nothing but skin and bones. “Did you have a good flight?”

“As good as one can get when being exiled. But thanks for asking,” Buffy quipped, shrugging her shoulders.

Her aunt snickered before turning back to the house. “Please, call me Anna.” She paused a moment to smile once again. Buffy found herself returning it. It seemed her aunt’s smiles were infectious.

“Well let’s get this show on the road.” Anna Beth commented before turning to climb the steps.

Buffy watched her intently. She was so much not like her own mom. But it wasn’t as if Buffy had any memories to compare her too, she hardly remembered the woman, except from an occasional picture she would come across now and again.

The older woman paused, looking back over her shoulder to find that her newest guest wasn’t fallowing her up the stairs. “Well, you do want the grand tour, don’t you?” she asked with a small smirk.

Buffy shrugged, “Sure, why not!” She hurried up the steps to join her aunt. They approached the front door, Anna falling back to allow Buffy to enter first. This was when she finally got a good look at the person spying at her from the shadows. She was petit, a little bit taller than Buffy, with unruly red hair, and funny clothes. Buffy scrunched up her nose.
Anna paused to do the introductions. “Buffy, I’d like you to re-meet your cousin, Willow.”

Willow extended her hand, “It’s nice to meet you… again, Buffy. So, I guess it’s safe to say you don’t remember me. I mean I wouldn’t remember me either if I’d only met me like only once. So, yeah, I wouldn’t expect you to remember me.”

’Ewww, and she babbles,’ Buffy mentally noted accepting the offered hand. “Well, no, I don’t… remember you that is,” she admitted calmly.
‘And not going to apologize for it either,’ was silently added. Someone who clearly needed Fashion 911 called to save them from the tar pits of awful cloths and, fashion nightmares would clearly rank on Buffy need-not-to-know meter. How was it possible that they were even related? Buffy looked back at Anna and noted that she had good fashion sense. So what in the hell happened to her daughter?

The elder Summers – Rosenburg showed Buffy around their quant home. First stop was the living room. It was nicely sized, with comfy looking furniture. They had an older model television causing Buffy to frown. She wondered if they expected her to watch her shows without high definition. Next was the dining room, it was nothing special, a few pictures on the wall, a floral center piece on the table. Anna informed her niece that they ate all meals together in here except breakfast, which was eaten in the kitchen. Buffy found that kind of neat. She never ate dinner with her parents, they were always to busy with more “important” things. So important in fact, that they were just too hard to break away from, even to eat breakfast with their only child. Last for the downstairs was the kitchen. Buffy figured for common folk this was a pretty large room. It didn’t compare to her kitchen back home though, her aunt’s could fit three times in hers. Buffy pouted, she missed her house. On the bright side, they did have a dishwasher. And it was new!

The upstairs was more of the same, three bedrooms, the first one was the master, where her aunt and uncle resided, they also had a private bath. Buffy scowled, she wanted a private bath too, like back home. The second was Willow’s room, which Buffy was informed she’d be staying in. God, she’d have to share a room with her cousin. Buffy never had to share anything in her whole life and now she’d have to share a room. This totally sucked. The last bedroom at the end of the hall belonged to her younger cousin, Saul, who was currently at a friend’s house spending the weekend. The teen never had the chance to meet the youngest member of her aunt’s family. She found herself wondering why her parents didn’t socialize more with the Rosenburg’s. Last on the tour was the bathroom, it was small, and Buffy wondered how was she expected to share this space with two other people? And the décor so had to go. The worst of it all, there were no maids! Buffy was officially in Hell.

“Well I have a previous engagement that I have to attend with your uncle, but you’ll get a chance to meet him later. And Saul will be home tomorrow, so you’ll meet him as well. I hate to run but I really have to go.”

Anna smile before turning to her daughter, leaning down she whispered something in her are then hugged her. The teens watched as she descended the stairs and walked out the front door, closing it behind her.

They stood there in silence, neither sure just what to say. Buffy really not in the mood for small talk, not wanting to open that door, if she did she was sure questions would follow as to why she was here. Willow stood thinking along those same lines. The curiosity was eating at her. She desperately wanted to know just what her cousin did to make her parents ship her off to live with family who hardly knew her, and at such short notice to boot.

“Yeah, so… well… yeah.” ’Well, that was just lame. Way to go and break the ice, Willow!’

Buffy graced the redhead with a patronizing smile. She needed to resign herself to the fact that she would be spending time with this girl. “So, it’s the weekend, party time, what do you guys do for fun around here?”

That question took Willow by surprise, she debated with herself on asking Buffy if that was something she should be doing – worrying about parting - but decided against it. At least she knew how to answer the question. “Well, there’s one place, the only place it town, called the Bronze, so everyone goes there. I guess we can do that… if you like?”

Buffy genuinely smiled this time. “The Bronze, huh? Sounds kinda fun. Give me a sec. to get ready then we can go.”

Buffy turned towards her room with bubbling excitement, there was a club, which meant there were boys. Yes, Sunnydale was starting to look better already. Willow followed close behind, this was so cool, she was going to the Bronze with someone who was cooler than herself. Willow snickered, everyone was cooler than she was. The redhead sat down on her bed before snatching up the phone on her night stand, holding the receiver in her hand she watched her cousin.

Buffy circled the room, giving everything the once over. She was surprised to see that Willow’s room was not the typical girly room with ruffles and frilliness all over the place. It had a more mature feel, though the main color was pink, and Buffy found that she liked the fish tank. Walking over to the tank, Buffy bent down to get a better look, giggling to herself as a fish swam towards her, its mouth moving as if it were giving her a welcome kiss.

Willow turned her attention back to the phone, quickly punching in the numbers she had known since childhood. The phone range several times before it was answered.

“What?” a gravely voice answered.

“Um, hi, Mr. Harris. Is Xander there?”

“Where else would the little bastard be?” he fussed into the phone before mumbling some obscenities under his breath. Willow listened, a moment of silence passed before she snatched the phone from her ear, Mr. Harris decided to yell for his son without removing his mouth from the receiver.

“Xander, get you pansy ass down here, phone’s for you.”

“Got it, dad!” Xander shouted back before greeting his friend. Both paused as his father slammed his end down, the sound echoing in their ears.

“Hey, Xand, feel up for a little Bronzing goodness?”

“Why not, beats hanging around here all night getting yelled at for being a slow bartender. Meet up at your place?”

“Yup, but we’ll have company. My cousin is here staying with us and I wanted to show her around, I thought the Bronze would be the best place to start.” Willow paused to smile at Buffy who was currently staring at her. Buffy liked it when people talked about her, in a good way that is. The blonde smiled back before walking out of the room and into the bathroom. “Listen, don’t go asking her too many questions. All you need to know is that she’s here, with us, for a while. I don’t know how long and she’s kind of… different.”

That piqued the boy’s interest. “What do you mean different? Are we talking about I like making out with other girls different or what?”

“Xander, can your mind be anymore, well, hormonal? No, it’s not like that, she’s more along the lines of Hi, I’m Cordelia different, or well, she seems to be. But I really don’t know her all that well, so I’m just guessing, and guessing is good sometimes.”

“Great merciful Zeus, and we’re hanging out with her why?” the teen exclaimed.

“Because Xander, she’s family, and I want her to feel welcomed.”

The boy signed. “Fine, only because you’re asking me too. I’m so not liking it though.”

“As a thank you, I’ll buy you three jelly doughnuts at school on Monday.”

****

The obnoxious little prick hadn’t taken his eyes off of her, well, off of her tits since she’d come down the steps. Now at the Bronze, the boy still stared. God, could he be any less perverted? Normally Buffy wouldn’t have a problem with a guy staring at her boobs, hell, she’d stare at her boobs if she were a guy. They were awesome if she did say so herself, and thanks to the wonders of the Miracle Bra, Buffy was graced with ample cleavage too. But when a guy was a complete loser like this Xander was, and stared at her breast, well, it warranted major red flags. He so shouldn’t be ogling the goodies no matter how nice they were. Okay, maybe she was being a little harsh, but as it sat, she’d only been here a few hours and the only people she knew were Willow and Xander. She needed friends that rose to her level.

Buffy sat back in her chair scanning dance floor, looking for any kind of distraction. Soon her eyes landed on a curvy brunette, and it looked as if this night would be looking up.

“Stop looking at Buffy’s breasts.” Willow whispered into Xander’s ear.

“I can’t. Believe me I’ve tried, but their so tan and pert. My eyes are drawn to them like two fluffy marshmallows.”

“Well, it’s rude, and… rude.” Willow retorted before crossing her arms over her chest. She could only wish Xander would look at her like that. Why couldn’t he like quiet, nerdy girls - like his best friend - Was that too much to ask for? “Not to mention I think you’re making Buffy feel uncomfortable. She hasn’t spoken a word since we got here.”

Willow cleared her throat leaning over to touch Buffy’s hand. The blonde tore her gaze from the girl on the dance floor to look at her cousin. “Do you want to dance?” she asked hopefully.

“Nah, not right now, but I think I’m going to refresh this diet coke. Be right back.” Buffy rose from her seat, smoothed out her black skirt, then adjusted the low cut pink tank top she wore, before making her way to the bar.

“Now that’s my kind of lady, Wills.”

“Pick your tongue up of the floor before someone trips over it.” Willow replied snidely, adding a slap to her best friend’s arm for good measure. Xander gave a small yelp rubbing his arm wondering what had gotten into his friend.

****

Placing the empty glass on the bar Buffy turned around leaning casually upon it. She scanned the dance floor, eyes falling on the dark haired vixen who was currently weaving her web over two guys that were dancing with her. The girl switched her position within the threesome, now being sandwiched between the boys, she raised her head to the ceiling laughing. Suddenly she turned in Buffy’s direction noticing that the blonde was watching her. With a sultry smile she beckoned her out to the dance floor.

Smirking, Buffy pushed herself from the bar and walked out to meet the other girl. She started to sway to the music as one of the boys came up behind her and started to dance with her, his hands traveling over her nimble form.

“Name’s Buffy,” she announced, a small seductive smile curved lips.

“What kind of name is that?” the other girl questioned.

“Tell me your and I’ll let you know.”

She arched a brow. “They call me Faith.”

“Well, Faith, with a name like yours you shouldn’t throw stones.”

That earned a hearty laugh from the brunette as she closed the distance between them.

“So, Buffy, what brings you here?”

“I’m new in town, looking for a bit of fun. Know of any?”

“Yeah, I think I do. Was about to head out to this party over at the Chase’s estate. Guess I can bring a hottie like yourself along.”

Reaching down Faith grasped Buffy’s hand in hers as they headed for the door. Willow watched as her cousin rushed out the door with the other girl. Maybe she had Buffy pegged all wrong. Maybe she was more of a “Faith” than a “Cordelia”. Neither one was any good. Armed with this new revelation Willow found that she had even more questions that needed answers. Maybe Buffy’s “Faithy-ness” was the reason she got sent here to live with them.

“We’ve just been dumped,” the redhead mumbled into her hands. Xander turned to look at her.

“Why? What happened?” he was quite perplexed.

“Buffy just left with Faith.” Willow pointed in the general direction of the front doors.

Xander’s eyes widened comically, “Man, Buffy leaving with Faith!” his voice cracking a bit as he shouted the question will all sort of naughty images filling his head. He groaned. An idea popped into his head. “Think we should follow them?”

“No, I mean… no.” They couldn’t just up and invite themselves with her cousin. It was obvious that she didn’t want to be with them. “We weren’t invited, Xander. It’s clear that Buffy doesn’t want to hang with us. Guess we’re too much of a spaz for her.”

“Exactly my point my willowy little friend. We need to change our spazy-ness to coolness. And the best way to do that is by tagging along with them. I know Faith has to be taking her to some party. We need to go with.”

Before Willow could stop him, Xander had gotten up from his set and started for the door.

“Oh, this is such a bad idea!” the girl commented to no one before rushing off to keep track of her friend.

****

The car peeled off from the parking lot making a screeching noise as it turned the corner. Faith laughed as she reached over to turn the volume up on the stereo, filling the car with Godsmack. “So, what did you do to get shipped here?” she asked, taking her eyes off the road for a second to look at Buffy.

Buffy arched her brow in silent question. “Who said I was shipped off?”

“No body.” Faith replied with a chuckle. “Just, someone of your caliber doesn’t wake up one day and decide they want to high tail it from LA to this little shit hole of a town. So the way I see it,” Faith shrugged before continuing. “Either you’re running from something, someone, or, you got booted here by your parents.”

Damn, this girl was bright. “Well, yeah. My parents kinda branded me the black sheep and carted me off to serve my sentence with family I hardly know.” Buffy answered truthfully. She found that even though they had just met she could talk to Faith.

“Talk about harsh. So what’d you do? Set fire to a school or something?” She finished her question with a smirk.

“No, just got photographed dancing topless with Justin Timberlake. My dad flipped, and I guess the picture was not of the good for his campaign for Mayor.”

“Alright, B, shakin’ that money maker for the cameras. Too bad about your dad though. Tough shit!”

“Tell me about it! And now, here I am.”

Faith made another sharp turn onto a side street, just narrowly avoiding hitting another car in the process. The driver honked their horn as they shouting curse words out the window. Faith and Buffy started laughing. Oh, she and Faith were going to get along swimmingly, that she was certain of.

They were quickly coming upon the house at which the party was being held. Faith leaned over turning off the radio. “Before we go inside there’s something I gotta tell ya.” She paused, waiting for the blonde to look her way. “This isn’t just some random party that I knew about, it’s my sister’s. I knew it would suck, hence me hanging at the Bronze. But I knew bringing you would lighten things up.”

Buffy smiled. Yes, she and Faith were going to have a hell of a friendship.

****
Xander hardly had enough time to start his car before Faith sped out of the parking lot. Willow quickly jumped in and buckled up. “If we’re following them you need to step on it,” she offered with a tiny giggle.

Xander shook the look of shock off his face at his friend’s words, before beeping his horn and backing out of his parking spot and taking off down the street. It wasn’t hard to find Faith’s car, it was a black 1974 Ford Mustang. A muscle car, Xander liked muscle cars, he mentally drooled. He dreamed of one day being able to purchase one. He glanced down at the speedometer of his old clunker, and just hopped that it would be able to keep up with Faith’s crazy driving.


****


Faith parked the car turning off its engine before exiting. Buffy followed suite getting her first look at the sprawling estate that was casa de Chase. It was pretty fancy, reminded her of the family summer home in Coral Gables, Florida. The duo walked to the front doors. You could hear the party from the outside, music flooding the walkway as teens moved inside. There was a bouncer at the doors. He smiled as he let the two past.


“Hey, Mike, there’s a car following us, the driver’s a boy with shaggy brown hair, accompanied by some chick with red locks, let them in.” Faith announced, a smirk crossing her lips.


Buffy giggled. “You aren’t serious, are you?”


“Yup, let them have some fun. Plus, I wouldn’t mind getting my claws into little ol’ Xander.”


****


“Oh, no, Xander this is not good. Turn around, turn around now!” Willow exclaimed, her eyes darkening with dread as they pulled up to the mansion.


“What’s the problem Will? If they can get in so can we.” Xander replied, giving the house a once over. He hadn’t been at the Chase’s in years. Not since they all trick-or-treated together back in third grade. This was one of his favorite stops because they gave out whole Snicker bars, not those bite sized pieces like everyone else, it still looked the same. He started to feel giddy, maybe he would get a glimpse of Cordelia before they kicked the two of them out.


He turned the idling engine off before exiting the car. With a sigh, Willow followed him. The two didn’t speak as they walked up the walkway listening to the sounds coming from within.


Xander groaned. “Just great, they have the Terminator guarding the door.”


“See, I told you this was a bad idea.” Willow chide. She grabbed him by the hand, turning to leave.


“I just have to try.” Xander offered as an explanation before removing his hand from her grasp. He walked over to the bodyguard trying to look as tough as possible. The man smirked, giving the couple the once over before stepping aside and allowing them entrance. The two hesitated for a moment, their mouths resembling fish, opening and closing a few times.


“Oh my God, Xander we got in!” Willow uttered in bubbly excitement. “How did we get in?”


“I don’t know, Will, maybe it was my manliness that intimidated him.” To demonstrate, Xander puffed up his chest. Willow giggled before her eyes were distracted by the sheer number of teens and college students in the house.


The redhead swallowed hard. “Xander, I think we’re in over our heads.”


****
A/N: Still with me? Let me know what you think.