Author's Chapter Notes:
Well this chapter isn't as polished as I'd like it to be, but I promised it would be up before I left for vaction so here it is. I'm sorry I haven't had time to individually reply to everyone's reviews, but I do appreciate them immensely. Thank you all. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy.
Buffy sat looking down at her English Literature book with contempt. Buffy threw her pencil down on her blank notebook. There was no way she was going to get this done in time. Stupid teacher, with her stupid homework assignments.

“Spike!” Buffy yelled. Surely he would be able to help her. He actually graduated.

A few moments later he showed up at her door. “What is it pet?”

“My homework. I don’t understand it.” Buffy glared at her English book, hoping it would go up in flames.

“What is it?” Spike asked as he came further into her room.

“I have to analyze this poem.”

“The Sick Rose, by William Blake. Good poem. Why’d you choose it?”

“Cause it was short.” Buffy said, as if it were obvious.

Spike chuckled. “Doesn’t make it easy luv.”

Buffy huffed, folding her arms across her chest. “Stupid poetry, with it’s stupid language. Who needs it anyway.”

“Oh it’s not so bad. Let’s see your book.” When Buffy handed it over, Spike scanned over the page, then in a deep timber voice, with an accent that sounded decidedly more like Giles’s accent, he recited the poem.

“Oh Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy,
And his dark secret love
Does they life destroy.”


Buffy gazed at him in wonder. “Okay, so I take it back. Poetry is awesome.” He could read poetry to her anytime. Especially with that voice. Buffy didn’t even have to check to know her panties were wet. And he’d just recited some old poem to her.

Spike smirked at her.

“But what does it all mean? Flowers and worms? Why would someone write about that?”

“He’s speaking figuratively luv. He doesn’t actually mean a flower and worm, but other things.” Spike set her book down on her desk and stood beside her. “What could a rose mean?”

“Love?” Buffy asked.

“Yes. And lust. But it also suggests a woman, and the invisible worm her lover.”

Buffy looked down at the poem. “And his secret love will destroy them. So they have a secret affair that destroys them.”

Spike smiled. “See you’re getting it. You just have to look below the surface sometimes. Keep going, and I’ll look at it after I get finished writing this brief. You okay with Chinese for dinner?”

Cecily sat next door in the office as she listened to the exchange. There was definitely something in Buffy’s voice that shouldn’t be there. So little Buffy Summers had a crush did she? Cecily’s face darkened. No one touched what was hers. She couldn’t believe that she was still actually living there. Stupid spoiled brat. She was moving in on what was hers. She didn’t need a teenager around complicating things for her.

Cecily got up and went into Buffy’s room, shutting the door behind her.

Buffy looked up from her paper, that she was scribbling away at, a big smile on her face. Her smile crumbled when she saw that it was in fact, Cecily.

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned back to her paper, completely disregarding her presence.

Cecily narrowed her eyes as she saw Buffy ignoring her. She sat herself down on Buffy’s bed, making herself comfortable. “I see you’ve settled in quite nicely Buffy. Getting acquainted.”

Buffy turned around to gaze at Cecily incredulously. “Is this your idea of bonding or something? Because if is, spare me.”

“You seem to be getting along well with Spike.”

“I could’ve sworn I said spare me. It means leave.”

Cecily ignored her impertinent comment. “You know Spike doesn’t really want you here. He’s only taken you in because he feel the needs to fulfill some family obligation to Rupert. You’re just a pity case to him. He‘s told me so himself.” She might as well nip this stupid little crush of Buffy’s in the butt. Spike was hers and would always be hers.

Buffy’s eyes filled with tears at the unexpected barb. “You’re just annoyed cause you’re a frigid bitch. And hello, jealous much? And of me and Spike. In how many ways can I say eww? Spike is like my uncle. So why don’t you and your incredibly ugly shoes, get the hell off my bed, and out of my room. And don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.” Buffy turned around and started scribbling on her paper again as if Cecily wasn’t even there.

Cecily sputtered, trying to come out with a good comeback, but nothing come. She narrowed her eyes at the back of Buffy’s head as she got up and left.

That stupid little bitch! Cecily fumed as she went back to her office. Buffy would pay for those comments. She just wasn’t sure how yet.

* * *

“You ready to go yet luv?” Spike asked.

“Yup, just let me grab another blanket. You can never have to many.” Buffy smiled at him. It was Saturday and Buffy had convinced him to take her on a picnic in the country, where no one would see them.

Buffy shoved all their food and blankets in the back seat of the DeSoto and they left. Spike turned the radio on and the Sex Pistols blared out.

Buffy reached over and took his hand, their fingers intertwining. She went to stare out the window at the passing scenery, then glanced back at Spike. His head was slightly bobbing to the punk music and he was singing the words softly under his breath. Buffy smiled, delighted at the domesticity of it all. Like a normal couple, going for a picnic in the cool winter air.

What she wouldn’t give to have this all the time.

After twenty minutes Spike came to a small dirt road and pulled off onto it. He parked the car off to the side and got out.

“Here?” Buffy asked, confused.

Spike smirked at her. “Nope, kitten. Gotta walk the rest ‘f the way. You up for it?”

“Well of course.” Buffy grabbed their stuff from the back and handed some over to Spike.

Spike looked down at her next to him as they walked to his spot in silence. He hadn’t taken anyone else here. This spot was special to him. So when Buffy suggested that he take her on a picnic, this was the first place that had come to mind. He’d never even harbored a thought of bringing Cecily here, or any of the other women he’d dated. It hadn’t seemed right. But here he was, leading Buffy to the spot that his mum had brought him to when he was just a boy after they had moved to the States. He hadn’t been back much since his mum had died.

Spike led her onto a worn down trail off the side of the road, and kept going, following it like a man possessed.

“Spike, where are we going?” Buffy asked.

Spike turned around to look at her, not stopping the brisk pace he’d set. “You’ll see in a minute, pet, don’t get your knickers in a bunch.”

Spike led her down the trail for ten minutes until they came to a clearing, wildflowers spread across each corner, still hanging on to life in the cool November air. The trees circled around it, shielding it from any wind. A small stream weaved it way down one side, filling the air with the soothing sounds of running water.

“Oh wow, Spike, this is awesome!” Buffy said when her eyes finally took it all in. “Where did you find this?”

“My mother brought me here when we first moved to the States to live with my Aunt Jenny. She was sick a lot, but she loved to just sit out here and take in the sights ’n sounds. I haven’t been here a lot since she died.” He looked at Buffy as she took in everything around them.

Buffy smiled at him, trying to will away the tears that had come to her eyes. The fact that he’d brought her to someplace that was special to him, was not lost on her. “Well, it’s beautiful, I can see why she loved it so much.” Buffy spread out one of the blankets on the ground, sitting down.

Spike laid out their basket of goodies, and sat down beside her. He pulled out everything she had packed to take with him. “What’d you do luv, pack the whole soddin’ fridge?” Spike pulled out container after container of food.

Buffy shrugged. “Wasn’t sure what you’d want. So I grabbed a bunch.” Buffy snaked her hand over and grabbed a grape from the bag, popping it in her mouth. After Spike had grabbed the sandwiches and they were munching silently Buffy asked a question.

“Why did you move to the States?”

Spike looked down at his sandwich, contemplating. “Mum was sick. Needed some help, so she moved over here to be with her sister. Aunt Jenny had been living here for a while, and convinced mum to come over. She had cancer and she was sick a lot with the chemo. She fought it for years until it finally just took her right before I graduated high school.”

Buffy nodded. She heard the pang of loss in his voice. She’d felt the complete devastation that he’d felt, first hand. She knew exactly what face he was making, and why he was. And now the fact that he’d brought her to a spot his mother had brought him to, when he obviously thought very highly of her, meant a lot.

Buffy allowed her self to hope, that maybe, just maybe, he felt a sliver of the feelings she knew were growing inside here with frightening intensity every day.

“When mom and Giles died, I thought everything was over. I was so numb. Nothing seemed to make sense in my head, the whole world seemed just like a great big blur. I wanted nothing more than to just sit, and never get up.”

Spike looked up from his sandwich. She was so strong. She’d over come so much. And he didn’t deserve her. But bugger it all if he was going to let her go.

Buffy smiled at him, and reached for the strawberries, holding one out to his face, waiting for him to taste it. “Strawberry?”

Spike smirked at her light-hearted attempt to change the subject. He opened his mouth and waited for her to feed it to him.

When they’d finished eating, Spike opened the bottle of champagne he’d brought and poured them both a glass.

“Why Mr. Giles. Are you trying to corrupt me?” Buffy said, smiling as she took a sip from her glass. Buffy shuddered when he leered at her and did that thing where he tucked his tongue behind his teeth. She felt a flood of moisture hit her panties.

Spike smirked when he saw her reaction. “Getting cold luv?” He teased.

Buffy stuck her tongue out at him and grabbed the extra blanket. She threw it around both of them and snuggled close, feeling his warm body pressed up against hers. Buffy sighed in contentment. This is the way it should be. It was perfect. Even though they weren’t talking, or having sex, Buffy was content to just sit here and enjoy the scenery with him, feel him pressed up against her side. And while the proximity of his body was doing wacky things to her hormones, she didn’t feel the pressing need to jump his sexy bones. Although that is a fun thought.

Spike’s thoughts were also taking a similar turn. This wasn’t something he wanted to give up. And maybe he shouldn’t. Maybe he could keep it. It’s not like him and Cecily were in love. Their marriage was never about that. Maybe him and Buffy could make it work. He pulled Buffy closer to him and inhaled her scent. She smelled like strawberries and vanilla scented shampoo.

“You know I’ll always be there for you don’t you?” Spike asked.

Buffy looked up at him quizzically. “Always?”

Spike nodded. “Always.”

Buffy seemed content with his answer and went back to cuddling against his shoulder.

Now he had to figure out how to keep it this way.