Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm totally worried about this chapter, so please, let me know what you think.
Two Days Ago

Willow slipped into the office on corner of Main and 7th Avenue. Her eyes darted around the room as if looking for a way to escape. This was the first time Willow had ever cut class, and she felt like someone was going to jump out of the corner at her. Her nerves were on edge and she jumped at every sound that reverberated through the massive lobby. She went up to the receptionist that was giving her a patronizing look.

“Umm, Cecily Addams, please?”

The receptionist raised her eyebrows. “Do you have an appointment?”

“No,” Willow said slowly.

“Then I’m afraid you’ll have to come back at another time. Ms. Addams is very busy and would not like to be disturbed. If you’ll leave your name and number she’ll get back to you.” The look in the receptionists eyes told her she most certainly would not.

“But it’s an emergency!” Willow squeaked out. “Please… just ask her?”

The receptionist gave her a disdainful look, picked up her phone, and dialed the extension for Cecily. “Yes, Ms. Addams there’s a…”

“Willow Rosenburg.”

“Willow Rosenburg here to see you. She says it’s urgent.”

The receptionist nodded and ‘mmm-hmmmed’ a couple times before she turned the phone away from her mouth. “Ms. Addams is very busy. Now if you’d-”

“Tell her it’s about Buffy!” Willow said quickly. She knew she would have a chance to do this again, and if Spike caught her here she was busted. There was no way she could get away with doing this twice. Buffy was already going to ask questions about why she wasn’t there for their History class together.

The receptionist relayed the information, then raised her eyebrows at the answer she got. She nodded a few times and hung up.

“Ms. Addams says she’ll see you.” The receptionist pointed to the hallways on Willow’s right. “Go all the way down this hallway, and take a right. Her office is on the right side. You can’t miss it.”

Willow nodded and headed towards her office like a person being led to their death.

She made it to Cecily’s office and just stared at the door. Should she knock? Or just walk in? Before she could contemplate it, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Spike step out of a door. Willow let out a “Eep!” and practically jumped into the room, slamming the door behind her.

When she turned around, Cecily was sitting at a massive desk in the middle of the room, with huge windows that looked out to what appeared to be a courtyard.

“Wow,” Willow said slightly stunned. The office itself was also quite large, with floor to ceiling bookshelves that lined the walls, all filled with law books.

“Ms. Rosenburg I presume?” Cecily said.

Willow nodded and looked up at Cecily. The way she looked at her was worse than the way the receptionist had. The receptionist looked at her like a roach to be stomped. Cecily was looking at her like she was a germ under a microscope.

“So what is it you wanted to tell me about Buffy?”

Willow noticeably swallowed, and mentally crossed her fingers that she was doing the right thing.

“I think there’s something going on between Spike and Buffy.”

Cecily’s eyebrows practically shot up to her hairline. “There’s… what?!”

“S-s-something going on between Spike and Buffy,” Willow stuttered out. “I just know it.”

Cecily’s eyes seemed to glower. “And pray tell, how did you come by this information.”

“I don’t have proof or anything. I just know there is.”

“How?” Cecily demanded.

“I’ve known Buffy since 7th grade. I can tell when she’s lying to me.”

Cecily nodded. Despite the way the girl dressed and carried herself, Cecily could tell she was not a stupid girl. She was quiet and that meant she listened, so Cecily was inclined to agree with her.

“Very well. Thank you for coming to me with this. I trust you won’t tell Buffy or Spike we talked?”

Willow nodded. “Just do me a favor? Don’t do anything to hurt Buffy, okay? I’m sure this was all Spike’s doing. Buffy’s really a good person.

Cecily nodded putting on her best sympathy face. “It’s all right dear, I’ll make sure Buffy’s taken care of. My battle is with Spike.”

Willow nodded and left Cecily’s office.

Cecily sat behind her desk, fuming. How dare he make a fool of her like this? Fucking a teenager? This must be the reason behind his rejection of her advances. And to think that she’d actually believed him when he said he was stressed out, or to tired. Cecily sighed. Oh he would pay.

Cecily picked up the phone, and dialed a much used number.

“Francis Doyle.”

“Yes, Doyle, this is Cecily. I need a favor.”

“Anythin’ for you lass,” the private investigator said. Cecily had sent many clients his way, padding his pockets ’til they were near to bursting.

“I need you to follow someone.”

“Who?”

“Spike Giles.”

On the other end, Doyle nodded, knowing not to ask questions. “Car type?”

“Black 1959 DeSoto.”

Doyle wrote it down. He already knew what he looked like. “Got it dear. I’ll call you back when I have something.”

Cecily hung up. Oh yes they would both pay. Dearly.

* * *

Present Time

Buffy sighed as she flipped through her magazine. She was increasingly bored, and she couldn’t find anything to occupy her time. It was Saturday, yet Buffy didn’t feel like doing anything. Spike was at the office, working. He’d picked her up from school the day before and taken her home. He’d had to get back to work, but he’d spent at least half an hour fucking her into her the living room carpet. Buffy still had carpet burns on her back.

Their relationship really was starting to get more intimate. The way that he looked at her, Buffy could tell he felt something for her. Buffy knew she was in love with him. There was no doubt about it. She was head over heels. She’d contemplated telling him so many times, she couldn’t count. But how did you tell a married man that you loved him? Would he want to leave Cecily? Their relationship wasn’t exactly stellar, but he’d was married to her. And if he did leave Cecily, would he want to stay with someone as young as her? Buffy knew she was ready for him, ready to be the woman Spike needed, but that didn’t mean he wanted her to be that woman. Buffy still had the rest of high school left and college after that. They would have to keep their relationship a secret until Buffy turned eighteen, probably until she graduated from high school, which was more than a year and a half away. All these questions swirled around in her head, causing her to not notice when the front opened and closed.

“Hello, Buffy,” Cecily said from Buffy’s doorway.

Buffy jumped up, startled.

“Oh my god, you scared me.”

Cecily stood there, a malevolent smile plastered on her face.

“What do you want?”

“I’ve got you, little girl.”

“Got me? Got what?”

Cecily just kept on smiling and pulled a manilla envelop from her side, that Buffy hadn’t seen. She opened up the top and dumped the contents on Buffy’s bed.

“Go ahead. Look at them.” Cecily sneered maliciously at her.

Buffy picked up what appeared to be a picture.

Oh God.

It was a picture of her and Spike from that night in his office. She was on top of him, kissing him, and the top of her dress was down, and his hands were on her breasts. Buffy grabbed the next picture. Another from that night. Spike’s head at her breasts. Another picture of that night, this time she knew it was when they were having sex. Buffy gulped. More pictures of them. From yesterday, embracing passionately, kissing. Another one of him, on his knees, pleasuring her with his mouth. Buffy felt tears start to form in her eyes.

She looked up and saw Cecily smiling triumphantly at her.

Buffy threw the pictures down on the bed, and wiped at the tears that were starting to fall. She would not cry in front of her. She wouldn’t give her the satisfaction.

“Keep them. I have plenty of copies.”

Buffy looked up at her, her eyes narrowing defiantly. “Does Spike know that you know?”

Cecily kept her smile in place. “I’ll be asking the questions. How long has this been going on?”

“I don’t have to tell you a damn thing.”

Buffy didn’t think she’d even seen a more evil smile twist someone’s face than right then.

“Oh well that’s where you’re wrong, dear little Buffy. You have to do everything I say, or your precious Spike will go to jail for a very long, long, time. So I ask again, Buffy, how long has this been going on?”

Buffy‘s eyes widened. Cecily wasn‘t joking. She would destroy Spike. “Since right before you got back on your trip from LA.”

Cecily’s face darkened. “That long.”

Buffy nodded.

Cecily’s face formed into a smile. “Okay so here’s what you’re going to do.” Cecily outlined her plan to Buffy in great detail.

Buffy gaped. “But I can’t do that to him. I love him!”

“Oh but you will Buffy. You will. Or I will take these pictures to the police, and not only will Spike rot away in jail forever, I’ll make sure you’re put in the worst foster hell imaginable. Spike is mine, and he will always be mine. Do I make myself clear?”

Buffy dropped her head, miserable. She couldn’t let Spike go to jail, not for what she did. This was all her fault, all her fault.

“And you do it tonight.”

Cecily turned and left the room, triumphant. Her Spike would return to her soon enough, he always did. And when he did, she would make sure he was hers forever.


* * *

Spike sat on the couch, beer in hand. He’d gotten home, and found the house empty. There was anote on the fridge from Buffy, saying she’d gone out with some friends and she’d be home around midnight. It was now 1:30 and Buffy was no where to be seen.

Spike knew Buffy could handle herself, but damnit, he was worried. She was never this late. Plus, he’d been hoping they could spend some time together, since Cecily had gone to bed early tonight, saying she didn’t feel good.

Spike sat in staring at the blank TV for fifteen more minutes before he heard a set of footsteps walking up to the door. Spike was about to jump up and open the door when he heard Buffy’s voice practically purr.

“I had a great time Angel. We’ll do it again sometime.”

Spike’s eyes widened in surprise. What the bloody hell was she doing with that poncey git? Spike ran over and opened the door, only to be greeted by the sight of Buffy with her lips locked on Angel’s, and the pillock had his hand on her ass!

Spike grabbed Buffy by the arm and hauled her away from Angel before they could even pulled apart. He looked at Angel, deadly intent in his eyes. “Stay the fuck away from her mate, or I’ll pull your arms off and beat you with them.”

Spike shut the door and hauled Buffy around until she was facing him. “What the fucking hell was that Buffy?” He sniffed at her. “Have you been drinking?”

Buffy shrugged, trying to act nonchalantly. She knew Cecily would be listening down the hall. And Spike’s future depended on how well she acted tonight. She knew she would hurt Spike, but at least he wouldn’t be spending his days in jail.

“What Spike? You actually expected me to stay with only you?” Buffy laughed. “Like you would ever be enough for that long.”

Spike couldn’t believe his ears. He opened his mouth to say something, to plead with her, but he couldn’t get the words out. He felt like he couldn’t breath. His lungs burned and he felt tears prick at his eyes, but he still couldn’t get any words out.

“What? You thought I was going to give up my youth to stay here with you?” Buffy laughed, long and hard.

Please let him believe this, Buffy silently prayed.

“Buffy…please.” Spike stared at her, as a tear silently fell down his cheek.

“It was just a matter of time before I got bored with you,” Buffy said. She yawned. “I’m pretty tired. Think I’m gonna go to bed. See ya later, baby.”

Spike flinched at her use of the endearment, tainting it with her voice. Spike sat himself down on the couch, a blank look on his face.

Buffy walked to her room, and shut the door behind her, shoulders slumping in defeat. He bought it. Deep down she’d hoped he’d seen right past her fake laugh and lies, but she knew he wouldn’t. She’d played on fears, and now she’d left him heartbroken.

It was bittersweet, knowing in her heart that he loved her, but knowing that they would never be.

* * *

Spike shut the door to the apartment behind him. He was alone.

Two days after Buffy had so clearly pointed out that he was wasn’t enough for her, Cecily had suggested that they send her to a boarding school in upstate California. Cecily had went on and on about the prestige of the school and how Buffy would have the best chance of getting into college there. Spike just nodded and let her do it. Cecily said that Buffy conceded without a fight, and she was gone a few days after that. Spike just let it happen.

Spike walked into Buffy’s room, her bed still there, but the drawers and closet empty, her pictures gone. Everything that had made the room hers, was gone. Spike ran his hands over the bed that he had made love to Buffy on time after time. Spike spotted something sitting on bottom shelf of her nightstand. He walked over to see a box with a note under it. Spike opened up the small note, and read it to himself.

Merry Christmas Spike

Love Always,

Buffy


When he opened the box, he saw a white gold engraved ring. Spike pulled it out and looked at the words. Amor Vincit Omnia

"What the bloody hell?" Spike mumbled to himself.

Spike practically ran into his room, and found his Latin to English dictionary from college, and looked it up.

Love Conquers All

* * *

Buffy looked out the window from her new room at St. Catherine’s Prepatory School, clutching a picture of her and Spike to her chest. It was the only thing she had left of the two of them. Because he would surely hate her forever. She hoped that he got his Christmas present and Cecily hadn’t found it.

Buffy knew she would probably never see Spike again. She couldn’t if she wanted him to stay out of jail. Everything was over for them. It was her fault to begin with, so she had to make it right. Spike would get over her eventually and he would return to being Cecily’s husband, as much as it pained her. But he would be free. Buffy shoved the picture deep into one of her drawers. At least she still had her memories.

Because they would have to be enough.





A.N.: Don't hate me??