Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay sorry for the late update. I was going to update yesterday morning, but I had gone to my mother-in-law's in Conn. and ended up getting snowed in! Also, sorry for the short update, the next chapter is longer.

The last chapter, I totally forgot to put at the beginning with the Willow and Cecily scene, it was suppose to say 'Two Days Ago' but I forgot to put it. So if you were a little confused why Cecily had pictures of them before it happened, that's why. My bad, sorry.

Well enjoy the chapter, next one should be up Tuesday. Happy Weekend!
When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken hearted,
To sever for years,
Pale grew they cheek and cold,
Colder they kiss;
Truly that hour foretold,
Sorrow to this:


The dew of the morning
Sunk chill on my brow—
It felt like a warning
Of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken
And light is they fame;
I hear thy name spoken,
And share in it’s shame.


They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o’er me—
Why wert thou so dear?
They knew not I knew thee,
Who knew thee to well—
Long, long shall I rue thee,
To deeply to tell,

In secret me wet—
In silence I grieve,
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?
With silence and tears.


*~*~*~*~*~*

Two Years Later

Spike sat playing with the a string that hung from the cuff of his shirt, waiting for his bitch of a soon-to-be ex-wife to finally make it to the appointment they had set with their lawyers and the judge presiding of their divorce. Spike knew that her and her lawyer, Lilah Morgan, were late on purpose. Cecily always liked to make and entrance, and make a point.

Spike finally pulled the string off, and let it fall to the floor. He glanced over at his lawyer, Wesley. Wesley was part of Cecily’s father’s firm, and was risking a lot by being here representing him. Cecily’s father had already let Spike go, telling him that he couldn’t have Spike working near Cecily when things between them were now over. Herbert had, of course, given him recommendations, but that didn’t negate the fact that he’d already lost his job because of the stupid bint. Spike wasn’t going to let her intimidate him, powerful father or not.

Cecily swept into the room, her lawyer, steps behind her.

“Took you long enough,” Wesley mumbled beside him. He stood up to go tell the judge that they were ready to begin.

Cecily looked over at him, a sadistic smile on her face.

Spike ignored her. He wasn’t going to let her get to him, when he was finally away from her.

Spike stood up as Judge Quentin Travers, sans robes, entered his office where the meeting was to take place, and then took his seat.

Spike sat back down, and Wesley sat beside him.

Judge Travers pulled his glasses out of his shirt pocket, and started flipping through papers. “Now I see that you haven’t yet appeared in court. I find it’s easier to settle these issues outside of the courtroom, so whey haven’t we tried that yet.”

“Your honor,” Wesley started. “My client and I have tried time and time again to enter into negotiations for the place of residence, but Ms. Morgan and her client have declined every offer of a compromise.”

Judge Travers looked over at Cecily and Lilah. “Is this true?”

“Your honor,” Lilah said, shooting Wesley a haughty look. “My client and I feel we are owed our day in court.”

Judge Travers raised his eyebrows and looked at her over his glasses. “Really? And why is that?”

“Well your honor, we have concrete evidence that Mr. Giles has in fact committed unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor under 261.5 under California law.”

Spike felt all the blood drain away from his face as his eyebrows shot up into his hair line. Wesley looked over at Spike, asking with is eyes if what they were saying is true.

Spike looked over at Cecily to see her smiling triumphantly at him.

I won, she was saying.

Spike looked over at Wesley, not knowing what to say.

“Your honor, as you can see, my client is as surprised by these preposterous allegations as I am. And may I ask you why she is putting this before your honor, and hasn’t turned this evidence she says she has over to the proper authorities?”

Judge Travers looked over to Cecily and Lilah. “He has you there. Although I would like to see this evidence.”

Lilah handed the judge and Wesley a legal folder with the pictures inside. Wesley looked through them, letting Spike watch as he flipped through each picture of him with Buffy in a new compromising position. Wesley looked at Spike in the eyes.

“Spike I have to know. Is this real?” Wesley whispered low enough so only Spike could hear.

The look Spike gave him was enough. “Did you force her?”

Spike’s eyes filled with anger at the hint that Wesley thought he could do that. “Are you daft?! You think I could actually do something like that?”

Wesley nodded. “I had to ask.” He turned and looked at the judge.

“Your honor, how are we to know the validity of these pictures? These days anyone with a computer and PhotoShop could make these kinds of pictures. And if they are real, why is Ms. Addams only coming forth with them now? My client hasn’t seen Ms. Summers in over two years when she failed to adapt to living a new lifestyle with them. She was sent to a prestigious school in upstate to finish her high school.”

The judge looked at Ms. Addams. “Yes, I will be looking into it. Ms. Addams these pictures will not sway my thinking against Mr. Giles if that is what you are after. They have no standing in my courtroom and I will not tolerate this kind of low handedness.” He sighed. “But Mr. Giles, they will have to be turned over to the proper authorities.”

Spike nodded. He turned to look at Cecily, murder in his eyes. She’d known all along about him and Buffy. A day hadn’t gone by that Spike hadn’t thought about her. Thought about her golden hair, fanned out on the pillow beneath him, her lips, swollen from his kisses. They way she teased him and her gentle, lilting laugh. For the short time they had shared, she had quickly become his everything and her betrayal of him had cut deeper than a knife. In the beginning he had thought that the pain was to much to bare, but as months passed he had slowly tried to pick his life up again and that included his marriage to Cecily. It hadn’t been a marriage of love, but it was all he had and he had clung to it like a man lost. Because he was lost, lost without Buffy. And what had hurt the most was he knew that Buffy was right. He hadn’t been able to give her what she wanted. She had needed more than he could give, and so she left.

Like a flash of light, clarity hit Spike like a punch in the face.

After two years it finally made sense.

Cecily.

Oh God.

It was all her fault.

Oh God.

The ring. She was trying to tell me something.


Cecily’s words echoed to him the night she had convinced him to send her to boarding school.
“…and since she doesn’t seem to be getting along with you anymore, and you two had a fight the other night, I thought she could be sent somewhere that would curb her more rebellious tendencies…”

The thing was, Spike had never told her they’d had a fight. He’d stayed at the office most of the time, or was out drowning his sorrows in good bottle of Jack. And he was sure as hell that Buffy hadn’t told her. Which meant she’d had to have been listening. She’d known there was going to be a fight.

Oh God. Buffy.

He’d figured it out.

But he’d figured it out two years too late.