Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, this is a bit shorter than I intended, but I got this far and am about to leave work. Figured you guys wouldn't mind a shorter chapter rather than wait until Thursday for me to post the longer version I had planned. I'll just make it a two parter. Thank you so much for all of the reveiws. As you can tell, they got muse working over time. Not too far from the ending luckily, that is unless muse wants more than I have planned! hope everyone had a great weekend!
Head buried in her hands, Buffy choked back the tears that were bubbling just below the surface. Only mildly relieved to have found she was at least wearing clothes, a black t-shirt and the frilly undies she had worn the night before, the fact that she had woken up in a strangers bed had brought on a serious case of panic. “Oh God! Oh God! Oh God, what did I do?” Too wrapped up in despair, she never noticed the motion near the bedroom door.

“Nothing to worry about, kitten,” Spike drawled from the doorway; a smirk plastered across his face. “Your virtue’s still intact.”

“Spike! What…what are you doing here?” Buffy cried in surprise, and then crinkled her nose as the obvious answer came to mind. “Your house, your bed…and I take it, your shirt, right?”

“Correct on all counts.” Smiling, he crossed the room and held out a peace offering in the form of water and aspirin. “Figured you might be needing something to take the edge of the hangover.”

“A world of yes.” She replied gratefully, chugging down the entire contents in one long gulp. Sheepishly, Buffy grinned and handed the empty glass back to Spike. “Thanks, I’m about ninety-nine percent parched.”

“Not a problem, I’ll go get you some more, yeah?” He turned to leave the bedside, but was stopped when Buffy’s tiny hand encircled his wrist. “What is it, pet?” Spike asked as her eyes filled with uncertainty and shimmered with tears.

“We…um, didn’t…you know?” She asked timidly, nibbling on her bottom lip. Anxiety curdled in her stomach like milk that had long passed its expiration date. At his bemused expression, her nervousness turned to annoyance with a blink of the eye. “No laughing! I’m being serious here. Girl wakes up in strange bed not wearing what she originally had on; it’s a perfectly reasonable question---stop snickering at me, Spike!”

“I promise nothing happened last night, settle down. Perfect gentleman, I was.” Spike assured her before heading out the door. Turning back, he smirked and said, “Plus, if we did, you’d remember it, luv.”

“Ugh, we’re you always this conceited?” Buffy groaned, flopping back onto the bed as he disappeared down the hallway with a resounding laugh. ‘Ok, not so bad. We didn’t do anything. Then why do I feel about an inch tall?’ She lay there, unmoving and staring at the ceiling as if the answer to her question was going to suddenly scrawl itself through the white vastness.

“Here you go, pet.” Spike thrust the glass of cold water in front of her face, interrupting her thoughts. “I put some clothes in the bathroom, thought you might want to shower; although they will probably be a bit big on you though. Why don’t you freshen up and I’ll make breakfast?”

“A shower sounds great; I’m all icky with the bar funk.” Sipping the refreshing cold water, Buffy slid off the bed and headed to the bathroom; stopping just inside the dark green tiled bathroom. “Nothing happened, right? No nakedness or kissage?”

“Like I said, perfect gentleman, pet. Course, I did have to get you out of that rather complicated get-up you were wearing, saw a bit then I guess. Have to say, filled out rather nicely.” An image of her creamy white breasts and smooth, flat stomach flashed through his mind and Spike had to force himself not to groan; instead, covering up the sound that did escape with a good natured chuckle when Buffy’s jaw dropped open in disbelief, her face blushing bright pink. “You spilled that horrible pink concoction down the front, luv. Didn’t think you’d want to sleep with it being all wet. So, I got you into something a bit more comfortable and put your dress and corset thing into the wash so the stain won’t set. Innocent enough for you, kitten?”

Nodding her head, Buffy disappeared into the bathroom with not only her face flushed with embarrassment, but the rest of her body as well. Turning on the shower and undressing, she tried to convince her mind that the only reason she was blushing was due to the awkward situation of finding out Spike had seen her at least partially naked. However, the naughty side of her brain was screaming that knowing she had been unclothed in his presence was a huge turn-on.

Thinking of such things automatically caused what had to be residual feelings from their encounter years ago to flare up. Her body felt like it was on the verge of overheating, heart racing and thighs clenched together in attempts to quell the intense aching at her apex that demanded to be relieved. Growling in frustration, she threw back the shower curtain and stepped under the too hot water with a squeak of surprise. Banishing any thoughts of a naked Spike to the darkest corner of her mind, Buffy grabbed the bar of soap and began to scrub away any traces of bar sludge from her body.

A short while later, dressed in another black t-shirt and gray track pants that had to be rolled up at the waist several times in order to keep the hemline off the floor, Buffy emerged in the kitchen inhaling the scrumptious scents that wafted through the brightly colored room. “Mmm…what are you cooking? It smells super good.”

“Strawberry-almond pancakes and bacon, that just happens to be ready. Good timing, luv.” Platting the meal on two plates, Spike set one in front of Buffy and tucked into the other himself.

“Mphfhmruphfu.” Buffy muttered incoherently, suddenly overcome with hunger. Forgetting all table manners, she cleared her plate in a matter of minutes and eyeballed the last piece of bacon on Spike’s plate. Before he could rescue the slice of meat, Buffy’s hand shot across the table and crammed the salty bacon in her mouth with a groan of satisfaction. “Yummy.” She sighed, leaning back against the chair with a smile of contentment. “That was great, Spike. You’ve been really great…”

“But?” Spike interjected after her brief pause. “I know there’s more, luv, might as well get it out there, yeah?”

“But, I really need to get home.” She finished as he got up from the table and cleared away the dishes. “Why didn’t you take me there last night anyway?”

“Didn’t think you’d fancy being carried through the dorm passed out in my arms” He stated, leaning against the counter with his arms crossed. “But, that wasn’t really what you wanted to ask, now was it, kitten.”

“Ok, stop it with all the pet names, Spike!” She cried exasperatedly, pushing out of the chair and escaping to the living room; only to be followed by Spike. Turning on him, she sighed in frustration. “I’m not your love or your pet kitten or anything! We aren’t anything, Spike. That’s what you wanted! You left me, remember? Why’d you have to come back?” Crying in earnest now, tears slipped down her reddened cheeks as she gasped for air. “I was doing fine without you, finally. Why’d you come back? Why? Can’t you just leave me alone? That’s what you do best, isn’t it…leave? I can’t get over you again. I just can’t!”

“Is that what you think, Buffy? That I just left you?” Spike whispered, his voice roughened with emotion. He watched as she nodded and slid down onto the floor in tears, as if her body had to collapse; unable to take the pain. “She never told you, did she?”

“W-who?” Buffy gasped, wiping furiously at the tears on her cheeks that were dripping down onto the black shirt. “Told me what?”

“I think it would be best not to say anything else, you wouldn’t believe me anyway.” Spike’s chest heaved as anger bubbled inside his chest, combined with the heartache and misery that had filled his life since the day he had left Buffy crying in her bedroom. “You need to ask your mother. Come on, I’ll take you home. Get some rest, talk to Joyce. Once you get all the facts, you know where to find me.”