Author's Chapter Notes:
Somehow this turned into a filler chapter. Hadn't really intended on it, but I was really busy at work and never really got in to it. Instead of holding it for a while, I have decided just to post it and work on the other half independantly. Hope you guys still like it. As always, thank you for all of the wonderful reviews! LOVED THEM!
“About time!” Cordelia exclaimed, paddling closer to the edge of the pool when Buffy rushed out of the house. “I was about to send out the search party on those drinks.”

“Oh, sorry…I…uh…ran into Spike in the kitchen. We…uh…talked.” Buffy stammered, sitting down next to where Cordelia was perched. ’Yeah, talked. Like the kind that involves tongues and groping!’

“I can’t believe he actually came out of his cave. He’s been working on some paper like a madman! It’s probably a good thing that Mom is out of town for work, otherwise she’d be whining that he wasn't paying attention to her.”

‘Ew…Ew…Ew….she just had to mention her Mom! Now I feel super bad about making with the smoochies! Ugh…’ “So, um…what’s the story with Spike and your Mom? I mean, they like never spend any time together.” Buffy asked cautiously as she fiddled with the paper wrapping that was around her bottle of water.

“Well, between her summer schedule and his school stuff they don’t really have a whole lot of time to do anything. I guess the whole situation would be a whole lot weirder if Spike was actually around the house more, but since he’s still at UCLA and drives there three days a week for class, plus I think he’s still working with a few clients, so he’s rarely here most of the time. If he is, it’s usually spent cooped up in the study. He’s a tad bit on the strange side if you ask me.” Oblivious to her friend’s nervous fidgeting; Cordelia leaned back against the float and pushed away from the ledge.

“Um…so do you think they’re like in love or something?” ‘Oh, please don’t say yes and make me feel a gagillion times worse than I already do for tongue wrestling with Spike!

“In love? My mother, please. It’s just infatuation, as always, and I am pretty sure it won’t last. It never does.” Cordy took a sip of water and appeared to be deep in thought. “Of course, she did move him in here with us; which is odd, to say the least. So, who knows…maybe she does want to keep him around.”

The weight on her shoulders was not lifted; in fact, it seemed to get worse. Buffy fought back the urge to run to the bathroom and throw up; her stomach rolled as she thought about what they had done. ‘Yep, that’s right everyone, just call me Lolita. Bad, bad Buffy!

“What’s wrong, Buff? You look positively green.”

“I…um…don’t feel so good all of the sudden.” Buffy hastily replied as she gathered her things and quickly stuffed them into the duffle bad she had brought. “You wouldn’t be too mad if I went home, would you?” Slipping on her tank top and jean shorts, Buffy jammed her feet into a pair of pink flip flops and mentally thanked her mother for allowing her to drive today.

“Course not. Are you sure you can drive? I mean, you really do not look good.” Cordelia got out of the pool, wrapped a towel around her waist and followed Buffy into the house. “I can drive you if you want?”

“No, I’ll be fine. Just need to take a nap or something. I’ll call you later, ok?” Buffy scanned the area for any signs of Spike before scooting across the living room like dogs were yapping at her heels. “Bye!” She called to a bewildered Cordy before slamming the door behind her and sprinting down the sidewalk to where the car was parked.

Inside the residence, Cordelia had turned and was headed back to the back porch when Spike came into the living room. “Hey! Finish your paper, yet?”

“Just did, thankfully. Bugger really started giving me one hell of a difficult time.” Nonchalantly, Spike asked, “Where was Buffy off in such a hurry?”

“She’s not feeling too good, so she decided to go home. Strange, hit her all of the sudden. Hope it’s not contagious, I've got a pageant this weekend that I do not want to miss. Anyway, I’m going back outside. See ya.”

As Spike stared at her retreating form, he thought to himself, ‘I seriously doubt that what Buffy has is contagious.’ He waited until he heard the sound of the back door slamming shut before darting out the front door in hope of catching Buffy before she left. Spike was amazed when he found the black SUV still parked in the drive and found, upon closer inspection, that Buffy was slumped over with her head on the steering wheel. “Buffy?” He asked worriedly; knocking on the window furiously, worried that something was in fact wrong with her. When she sat up and turned to face him, Spike was filled with sadness when he saw that tears were streaming down her face.

“What do you want?” She whispered hoarsely when the window was rolled down. Reaching up, Buffy wiped furiously at the wetness on her cheeks and sniffled loudly as she tried to control her breathing. Her emotions were running wild, thoughts and fears searing through her body and soul, screaming about her indiscretion with Spike.

“Jus’ wanted to make sure you were all right, luv. Cordelia said you weren’ feelin’ to well.” He leaned in towards the open window, placing his arms on the threshold and was instantly assaulted with the smell of warm vanilla and sweet lilacs; a scent that was purely female and belonged only to Buffy. ‘My girl…’ The thought slipped through his mind before he made the mistake of whispering it softly; his eyes flying open with recognition.

“I am not your girl and don’t call me luv! How can you do this? How can we do this, Spike? We can’t. It’s wrong.” Buffy ranted; gripping the steering wheel tightly with both hands until the skin on her knuckles were ghostly white. “You…you…we have to stop this…this…thing between us! I can’t do this to Evie!” Crying openly now, her tiny frame shook violently with each sob as she gasped for air. “You can’t ask me to do this to her…to them. They’re my family!”

Spike reached out and to comfort Buffy; brushing stray locks of blonde hair away from her flushed face and whispering soothing words, “ ‘m sorry, pet. Don’ rightly know what came over me earlier. Never meant to cause you any pain, please forgive me.”

“How can I forgive you if I can’t forgive myself?” Buffy replied softly, refusing to meet his gaze. Still sniffling, she put the car in gear and pulled away; willing herself not to look in the rearview mirror at the man she had left behind; the man that she had managed to develop feelings for, feelings that she herself was unable to decipher at the moment. All Buffy knew was that from that moment on she would never be the same.

Later that night, Buffy was lying on her bed, buried under a cocoon of covers when her mother came home. Really not wanting to deal with anyone, especially her mother, Buffy feigned sleep when Joyce opened the door to peek inside.

“I know you aren’t asleep, Buffy. Years of parenting have taught me that, especially when you use to try so hard to skip school.” Joyce announced as she flipped on the overhead light and sat on the edge of Buffy’s bed. “Want to tell me what’s wrong, sweetheart?”

“Nothing’s wrong, Mom. Just don’t feel good. I think I got a bug…a really mean nasty bug with icky antennae and stuff.” Buffy moaned, rolling over on her side and looking weakly at her mother; hoping she wouldn’t question her sudden illness.

“Well, you don’t seem to have a fever.” Joyce said with her hand pressed against Buffy’s forehead. “Maybe you’re just upset? Did you and Cordelia have an argument?”

“No. We’re fine.”

“Am I going to have to literally pull this out of you?”

“Maybe.” Buffy mumbled from underneath the comforters. “I don’t wanna talk about it, ok?”

“Oh, sweetie…is it about a boy? That Angel you’ve been seeing?”

“Um…yeah, that’s it…he’s a big poophead.” She replied, figuring the lie would go over better than the truth. ‘Don’t think she’s ready to hear I’ve got the lusties for Spike. Cause that would go over so nicely. “Broke a date with me is all. So I’m all with the pouting and stuff for now. The next step is ice cream.”

“Well, it’s his loss.” Joyce sympathetically patted Buffy on the leg before adding, “And I just bought a pint of Rocky Road on the way home. I’m sure that will fix all of your troubles, right?”

“Can I have it for dinner?”

“No, of course not. You have to at least make it look like you ate something other than junk.” Joyce stood up and headed for the doorway. “Oh, Buffy…my buying trip for next month has been pushed up to this weekend. I checked with Evangeline to see if you could stay with them for a couple of days, but she and Cordy will be out of town. Something about a teen pageant in Los Angeles I think? Anyway, I have decided to let you stay home by yourself if you think you can be responsible and refrain from throwing a huge party.”

“No parties, I promise! Oh this is going to be so much fun! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Buffy cried, flinging the covers off the bed and jumping down to hug her mom. “Just think, nothing but pizza and chocolate for days! Of course, sucks that my best friend just has to be out of town the one time you let me be all grown-uppy.”

“Glad you’re excited, sweetie; but if she was in town, you would be staying at her house.” Joyce smiled at Buffy and turned to leave her bedroom. “Oh and I need help with the groceries.”

“Uh-huh, bribe me with ice cream and freedom before bringing on the chores. Slave driver.” Buffy stuck her tongue out at her mother and followed along her downstairs; all the while thinking to herself, ‘Four whole days without parental control. Hmm…whatever will I do?