Chapter 3- Ice Breakers

After the game, the girls made there way to the bar across the street. Once they realized it would take some time for the players to arrive, Buffy, Willow and Cordelia decided to order diner. Just as they were finishing, a group of well-dressed men entered the bar.

Cordelia: “Okay, you guys ready?”

Buffy: “Ready? What are we getting ready for?”

Willow: “To pick up some hotties” she sung-song.

Before Buffy knew what happened, her friends began dragging her from table to table, introducing each other to the various players. She had to admit, there were some really cute guys there. She probably could have gotten one of them to go home with her, considering the amounts of phone numbers and date offers she got. But she didn’t accept anyone person’s offer in particular. She just wasn’t sure she could jump into the dating scene again. She was about to excuse herself from the table they were at, until Cordy spotted Xander and Oz.

Cordelia: “Oh, Willow! Now’s our chance, they’re alone”.

Willow: “Are you coming Buffy?”

Just as Buffy was about to reply, Willow grabbed her arm and dragged her to the table where Ox and Xander were sitting.

The two of them seemed like nice enough guys for her friends, Buffy thought it was adorable the way Xander blushed everytime Cordy mentioned how well he played. They seemed so cute together, although it took forever for Xander to ask her out. He was very insecure at first, but had a great sense of humor after the ice was broken.

Oz was rather passive. He was genuinely a nice guy, but he lacked in a wide range of emotions. Buffy wasn’t sure if Oz and Willow would be able to have a real relationship. He was very quiet and Willow, well, wasn’t. She was boisterous and very outgoing. Buffy loved her for it, but she didn’t know if Oz would be able to handle her personality.

But after a little while, it became obvious that Buffy was wrong. Oz and Willow seemed to have more in common that she thought. Starting to feel like an outside, she slipped away and headed to the bar. She hated that her friends met people while her love life was still in the dumps. She plopped down on a stool and ordered a glass of water. She may have been 21, but she still didn’t like to drink. Especially after remembering how he used to get…

OS: “I sure hope you don’t plan on driving home tonight” a British voice came from behind her before settling on the stool next to her.

Buffy smiled at the joke and turned to see who had said it. When she saw who it was, her smile faded. Those damn blue eyes she had seen before greeted her along with too smug a smirk.

“I’m William, or just Will”.

“Buffy” she said coolly.

“Cute. Is that your real name?”

“Isn’t William yours?”

“Yeah, but "Buffy" sounded like a stupid nick-name you get growing up”.

“Well, what kinda nick-names do you have, William?” she said in an defensive manner.

“Well, my old friends used to know me as Spike, but not even my chums now know that”.

Buffy turned to look at him, before having a flashback:

[...She was in the kitchen of their run-down apartment cooking him diner. Angel, or Liam, was sitting on the recliner, beer bottle in hand, with many empty bottles scattered by his chair. The only light on was the light coming from the TV. It was during the time after he had gotten injured during a game and spent the next three weeks on that damn chair getting piss drunk. She hated it when he was drunk. He was always so…. “He shoots He scores!” the announcer shouted.

“Damnit Spike!” he yelled, throwing an empty beer bottle at the television, smashing it into a thousand pieces, making Buffy jump out of her skin.]

“Spike” she said more to herself than him “My real name is Elizabeth. My friends call me Buffy” she snipped.

“I don’t want to jump the gun luv, but I can’t help but feel like I’ve offended you and all I’ve said is my name. Was it my imagination, or where you the chit giving me the eye not a few hours ago?”

“I don’t know what a chit is, but I don’t think I am one. Two, maybe I was”.

“Why are you being so shirty then?”

“I don’t know what that means either”.

“It means, why are you giving me the cold shoulder?”

“I admit, when I first saw you, I thought you were cute and everything, but…”

“But…”

“I heard some things and changed my mind about you” she finished quickly.

“Lots of rumors floating around lately. What sort of things did you hear?”

“That domestic violence was a very prominent aspect in your home”.

Spike paused as if to think. “Well, that is actually true, in more ways that one” he said calmly.

“Then why in God’s name would I want to be in a pub talking to a man who hit his girlfriend?”

“That’s a fair point, pet” he tossed a small rolled amount of money “Only there’s one problem” he got up and headed to the door.

“Oh, and what’s that?” she questioned.

“I wasn’t the one throwing the punches.” he said quietly with his back to her before leaving.



TBC Please review!