Chapter 4- The Truth

Stupid, stupid, stupid. God! It was official: Buffy Summers was the stupidest person alive. How could she just assume like that? And poor Will, God, she was so stupid; she felt sick to her stomach. As disgusted as she was with herself, she knew she couldn’t let Will leave like that. She got up and ran after him.

“Will!” she called as she saw him about to get into his limo. It was raining hard, but Buffy was too upset to care. “Wait, I’m...sorry” she said lamely.

He sighed and turned around. “S’not like you’re the first one to make the mistake, pet. Don’t let it keep you up at night” he turned to get into his car again.

“Please Will. Let me make this up to you somehow. I feel so terrible”. She was begging now, he couldn’t leave. She wouldn’t let him leave.

Will sighed. This chit wouldn’t give up anytime soon. She didn’t seem honestly sorry; and he knew she wasn’t gonna give up anytime soon. What’s the worst that could happen? You could fall for her and watch her break your heart. Even so, this bird seemed worth it.

“Get in” he said as he got in and moved over.

“What?”

“You’re drenched to the bone, get in before you catch a cold and I’ll give you a ride home”.

“Okay” she replied quietly and she slid in.
-------------------

In the limo

“You should tell the driver where you live”

“Huh?”

“So he can drop you off”.

“I should actually call my friends…”

“They’re fine. You left them with Oz and Xander. Got nothing to worry about”.

“Oh, okay” she moved to the window to tell the driver her address. When she came back she began to shiver as the dampness of her skin finally hit her.

“Don’t you have a coat or something?”

“I left it at the bar. I was kinda in a hurry”.

“You want a sweatshirt or something?”

“Wouldn’t exactly turn one down about now”.

Will dug threw a duffle bag by their feet and retrieved a black sweatshirt before handing it to her.

Buffy gratefully took it and pulled it over her head, trying not to inhale the masculine scent which overcame her senses. God he smells good.

“You didn’t have to run after me, you know”.

“No, I did. I can’t explain why, but I did”.

Silence

“You’re mates seemed to really hit it off with mine, eh?”

“Mates? Willow and Cordy are my friends but we’ve never mated. We aren’t mates, just good friends. I’m straight. Not that they’res anything wrong with being gay-“

He chuckled, “Mates are friends, pet”.

“Oh” she said quietly as she tried to hide her embarrassment.

Spike laughed again.

“Are you laughing at me? It’s not my fault I can’t understand what you’re saying”.

“I know. It’s just, kind of sweet”.

“Can I ask you something?” she pried.

“Does it have to do with what we talked about at the bar”

“Maybe”.

Will was quiet for a moment. The only people who knew the truth was him, Dru, Xander, Oz and his little sister Anya. He never wanted to take about it, but for some reason the words just fell out of his mouth:

“Yeah, sure”.

“How long…did she-“

“You aren’t some undercover National Enqirior reporter, are you?”

“No, I promise. It won’t leave the limo”.

“I don’t really remember when it started. I guess around three years ago”.

“Three? Years?” she was shocked.

“It was never that bad though. She had problems and she’d take them out on me”.

“Why didn’t you stop her?” she asked.

“What, you mean like hit her back?” he sounded shocked at the thought.

“Self-defense-“ Buffy tried to defend her suggestion.

Will: “I don’t hurt women” he said in such a stern voice that it almost brought tears to her eyes. She knew some men get beat up by their wives or girlfriends, but she always thought they were just the wimpy kind who liked to get thrown around. But this was different. Will just seemed so different from what she thought. He was different from anyone she’d ever met.

“I still don’t understand. You could have just left. Why didn’t you leave her?”

“Why does anyone stay in an abusive relationship? Because of that pesky thing called love”.

“Hurting someone isn’t love” Angel taught her that.

“Wasn’t talking about her, though I still like to believe she loved me. No, I was talking about me. I loved her more than anything. Still do. Don’t think I’ll ever stop”.

“I know what that’s like, I think” she tried really hard to think if she ever really loved Angel. Truth was she did, for a little while anyways. But after that night she found him with Faith, it killed her. And that was before she knew about the others. She paused to think about what to say next. It must hurt to talk about, but she loved his voice and never wanted him to stop speaking. “There was someone” she briefly looked at. “I loved him...I loved him so much. Even now that he’s not in my life anymore, I still feel like-“

“He owns your heart and soul?” he snuffed. “Tell me about it. Dru and I, our souls were practically bound together. Eternal love she called it, feels like so long ago”.

“How did the cat get out of the bag then? If you loved her that much”

“Xander and Oz figured it out. It took them a while, but they called me on it one day. I went home after practice and the next day I showed up with a black eye. They knew Dru had some physcological problems. They pieced in the puzzle”.

“But somehow the story changes and you’re the one being blamed”.

Spike: “Dru’s got money and she’s known as to the media as “The Dark Princess with a Bright Heart”, don’t think they would have bought it the other way around anyways. Rumor started out one way and by the time it got to the press, Will Giles is the Big-Bad.The charges against her were dropped. Basically because I couldn’t testify against her. I’m such a wimp”.

Buffy: “You loved her. That’s nothing to be ashamed of” she placed a hand on his thigh.
-----------




Please review!