Chapter 10

Giles heard a soft knock on his office door, looking up to see Buffy standing there.

She waved shyly. “Could I talk to you?”

He nodded. “Of course, please come in.”

Buffy stepped inside and sat down across from his desk. She took a deep breath and thought about how to start the conversation, but Giles beat her to it.

“I heard that you and William had a bit of an argument. I hope everything is all right between you two now.”

She nodded as well. “Yeah, we’re fine. I just felt that it would be better if I talked to you. I know that I can be a major pain and I’ve gotten into all kinds of trouble since I’ve been here, but I’m really grateful for everything that you and Anne have done for me. I don’t know where I would be if you guys didn’t take me in. I know it might seem like I don’t care, but I really am glad to be here. I never really got to know my real dad. Sure, I had at least six years with him, but even then he was hardly ever around. From what I can remember, anyway. I just want you to know that you’ve been a really great father to me. You always put your family before anything else. It means a lot that I get to be a part of that.”

Giles was touched at her words. “Well, you are a part of this family. We weren’t capable of having any more children after William, so you being here has always been a blessing. We don’t regret taking you in, Buffy. You’ve made quite the impression on all of us, especially William. You being here is probably the best thing to ever happen to him. I’ve seen a complete change in my son the last few years, and I’m sure it’s mostly to do with you.”

Buffy was shocked by that. “I always just figured that I caused so many problems for him, that maybe he would have been better off if I never came here.”

Giles shook his head. “Nonsense, I’m positive he doesn’t think that. I know you may feel that he betrayed you, but he only came to us because he cares for you. William would never do anything to hurt you, Buffy. He couldn’t bear it.”

Buffy agreed and rubbed her eyes, not even realizing that she was crying. “I know he wouldn’t.” She took another deep breath before saying the rest. “I’ve been having a lot of bad dreams lately. I think I’m ready to tell you about them. I’ve been keeping everything inside for too long now.”

Giles smiled. “I have all the time in the world.”


* * * * *


Spike found himself pacing his room again. Buffy was downstairs talking with his father and it seemed to be taking a long time. He wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. A part of Spike felt hurt that she wouldn’t talk to him, but she needed another person’s perspective on what she was going through. Rupert Giles was just the man for the job, but he was surely about to go crazy if he had to stay in his room for one more second. With that thought in mind, Spike grabbed his coat and headed downstairs. He peeked into the living room to see his mother watching the telly.

“I’m going out for a bit, Mum.”

She waved her hand in the air, not bothering to glance away from the television set. “All right, do take a sweater.”

Spike rolled his eyes, never had he ever worn a sweater. He just shook his head and left the house, getting into his car and driving to his destination.


* * * * *


The Bronze was packed that night. Spike glanced around at all of the dancing bodies on the floor, some a little too close for comfort. He headed to the bar and took a seat, figuring that it wouldn’t hurt to have one drink. Luckily he looked older than he was and the bartender never asked for identification. Spike ordered a glass of Bourbon and turned to watch the dancing couples, the ones that weren’t dancing were busy making out. He finished his drink quickly and headed over to the restrooms. Spike heard voices coming from the back, but didn’t think much about it, until it was a voice that he recognized.

“I don’t feel so hot,” the female said.

“Come on, baby. I’ll give it to you good. It’s just the two of us. You’ll feel better when I’m done with you.”

Spike stepped behind the man, getting a little too friendly with the girl he was with.

“Now, it’s just the three of us.”

He pulled away from her, holding his hands up. “Hey, I was just having some fun. She was totally into it.”

Spike glared at him, noticing the almost unconscious body of Faith next to him. “Somehow I doubt that. She’s drunk off her arse, you wanker. Get the fuck out of my sight.”

The man didn’t have to be told twice and took off.

Spike moved over to Faith. “What have you gotten yourself into now, Lehane?” He gently picked her up. “Come on, it’s time to get you home.”

Once they were outside, Faith started to struggle in his arms.

Spike put her down on the ground, but kept one arm around her.

“Why are you helping me?” she wondered softly.

Spike shrugged. “You’re Buffy’s friend, so I guess that would make you mine. I couldn’t just let that bloke take advantage of you.” He placed her in the backseat of his car, then got in on his side and drove away from the club.


* * * * *


The lights were off when they arrived at Faith’s house.

Spike figured that her mother was out and managed to get her to give him the key. He opened the door and helped her inside, sitting her down on the couch. “You could probably use some water.”

Faith shook her head. “I’m fine, just come sit with me for a second.”

Spike didn’t know if it would be a good idea for him to stay there, but did as she said.

Faith rested her head against his shoulder. “You were always so good to me. Why did I let you go again?”

“I was the one that ended things, love.”

She glanced up at him. “Oh, right, guess I forgot. I’m not really used to guys rejecting me. It wasn’t because the sex was bad, right? If that was the case, then I really have a problem.”

He chuckled. “No, I can safely say that had nothing to do with it.”

“So, was it good? Did I rock your safe little world?”

Spike rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on his face. “You did at that, pet. Look, it just didn’t work out because I wanted more than you did. The sex was bloody amazing. I won’t lie to you, but I needed more. I want a real relationship and I just didn’t see that happening with you.”

Faith nodded. “I guess that makes sense. Buffy’s the one you want, isn’t she?”

Spike was surprised that she knew that, but wasn’t about to deny it. “You could say that, but I doubt anything would come of it.”

Faith sat up and tried to ignore the pounding in her skull. “If you have a thing for her, I say go for it. She won’t be single forever. To be honest, I think you guys would be good together. I know I tease her a lot, but she’s my girl. You’re one of the good ones, Spike. I didn’t appreciate it as much as I should have, but Buffy’s really lucky to have a guy like you in her life. You should tell her how you feel. She might end up surprising you.”

Spike thought about it and realized that for once, Faith made a lot of sense. “You’re not so bad, Lehane. You know, once you get over being a complete bitch,” he said teasingly. “I should get going, you need your rest. That’s going to be one hell of a hangover.”

Faith groaned and laid her head on the back of the couch.

Spike stood up and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead. “I’ll see you later, thanks for the chat.” He had a smile on his face as he left her house, feeling hope for the first real time in a while.