Chapter 15

“I don’t wanna go. Can’t I just stay in junior high?”

William laughed. “You might like high school. It’s not so bad.”

Buffy shook her head. “Didn’t you say the bullies shoved you in your locker? I don’t want that to happen to me.”

“Trust me; you won’t have to worry about that.”

Buffy wasn’t easily convinced. “What if no one likes me?”

He put his arm around her. “How can anyone not like you? I’ll be right there with you, Buffy. You won’t have to deal with it alone.”

Buffy smiled and ruffled his hair, which she knew he hated, but wasn’t likely to tell her that. “Thanks, Spike, you always look out for me.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Spike?”

She nodded. “Yeah, your hair is all sticking up now. It looks like a bunch of spikes.”

A grin formed on his lips. “I think I like that.”



* * * * *


“Spike, where the hell are you? This isn’t funny anymore.” She let out a squeal when he attacked her from behind, grabbing her around the waist and wrestling her onto the couch. “You so don’t play fair,” she said through her laughter.

He grinned from on top of her. “I never said I did.”

“I don’t think playing hide and seek is the same as when we were little. Besides, I didn’t even get a chance to find you.”

Spike shrugged and moved off of her. “It’s not my fault you suck at this game.”

She slugged him on the arm. “You’ll get it later.”

He waggled his eyebrows. “Is that a promise?”

Buffy’s response was to grab him by the shirt and smash her lips to his, slipping her tongue into his mouth.

Spike returned the kiss just as eagerly, never wanting to stop. They had only been together for about two weeks now, but he never felt closer to her. He quickly removed her blouse, then spread kisses down her neck and chest, sucking on her nipple through the material of her bra.

Buffy moaned and tried to divest of his shirt, pulling it out of his pants. She only managed to lift it halfway up, when someone cleared a throat from the entryway and caused them to instantly pull away from each other. Buffy gasped at the sight of Giles and Anne standing there in shock, quickly grabbing her shirt and putting it back on.

Giles cleaned his glasses. “Well, I would say this is a good way to break the news,” he said sarcastically.

Spike looked embarrassed, running his fingers through his hair. “Mum, we can explain.”

Anne finally broke out of her stupor at the sound of her son’s voice. “William, what is the meaning of this?” She turned to her husband. “And why do I think you knew something about it?”

Giles looked away from his wife’s gaze.

Spike stood up and moved over to her. “Dad knew about us, but I told him not to tell you. I wasn’t ready for you to know yet, but I guess now is a good enough time.” He reached his hand out to Buffy, pulling her off of the couch. “We’re together now, Mum. We have been for a couple of weeks.”

Anne placed her hand over her heart. She had some idea about the two of them, but never would have expected to be right. “When did this happen?”

Spike took a deep breath. “I’ve been in love with Buffy for years. She decided to give me a chance and I wasn’t about to turn that down. I know this is a lot to take in, but we hope you can accept it. I’m sorry for what you saw when you walked in, that wasn’t supposed to happen.”

Giles decided to speak up. “Yes, nothing was supposed to be happening inside this house, especially not while we were out. I will be speaking to you about that later, William, but it’s late right now. I think we all just need a good night’s rest.”

Spike agreed and grasped Buffy’s hand tighter, leading her out of the living room and up the stairs.

Giles put his arm around his stunned wife. “Come along, darling.”

“I just can’t believe this. They’re only babies.”

Giles graced her with a soft smile. “They’re not children any longer, love. William has always been very mature for his age. I believe Buffy would be good for him. He cares for her very deeply, we’ve witnessed that enough times by now. I’ll speak to both of them tomorrow and make sure that what we witnessed is not to happen again, but I’m afraid we won’t be able to stop them from being together if that is what they wish. We have to let them grow up and make their own mistakes. How else would they learn?”

Anne nodded. “I know. We’ll discuss this in the morning.”

Giles nodded as well and followed his wife to their room, but knowing that sleep would not come easily that night.


* * * * *


“God, I can’t believe they walked in on that. It’s just a good thing nothing more was going on, but this is so embarrassing. What if they hate me now? What if they want to kick me out?”

Spike grabbed her shoulders to stop her pacing. “Sweetheart, you’re making me dizzy. My parents love you, there’s no way they would ever throw you out. You don’t have to worry about that.”

She let out a long breath. “Do you think they would stop us from seeing each other? That might be kinda hard since your room is right across from mine.”

He smiled. “I already talked with my dad; he wasn’t against us seeing each other. Everything will work out, I believe that. My parents can be old fashioned, but they’re very understanding people. All they care about is our happiness. Let’s just get to bed, all right? To be on the safe side, we should probably sleep in our own rooms tonight. Are you going to be okay with that?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, the dreams haven’t been so bad lately. I’ll be fine.”

Spike kissed her forehead, then gave her a quick peck on the lips. “Goodnight, love. If you need me for anything, you know where I’ll be.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, but I’ll be okay. I’m a big girl, right?”

He tapped the tip of her nose. “That you are. Sweet dreams, baby.”

She smiled as well. “Same to you.”

Spike gave her one more kiss before leaving her room, closing the door behind him.

Buffy undressed and changed into her pajamas, getting under the covers and gazing up at the ceiling. She felt safe at the thought of Spike so close to her, but really got used to him being in her bed. Buffy knew that she had to sleep by herself for a change. She had to prove to herself that she could do it, and that the nightmares didn’t control her. With that thought in mind, she drifted off into a dreamless sleep.