Chapter 16

“This is nice. Being out in public and not having to hide, I could get used to it.”

Spike squeezed her hand that was resting in his. “See, I told you everything would work out.”

Buffy agreed. “I guess we didn’t have anything to worry about.” She was too busy looking at Spike to pay attention to where she was going, but regretted it when she collided with a hard body.

“Hey, watch where you’re going.”

Spike glanced at the man they crashed into. “Sorry about that.”

He rolled his eyes. “Whatever, you kids just need to pay more attention.”

Spike turned to Buffy to see that she was white as a sheet, almost as if she saw a ghost. “Are you okay, love?”

Buffy broke out of her reverie at the sound of his voice. “Yeah, we have to go now.” She pulled him away, without bothering to wait for a response.

The man stared after them in confusion, but something seemed oddly familiar about that girl. He shrugged it off and headed into the Espresso Pump, where he was meeting a friend. “The kids in this town really seem to be in their own little world,” he said, taking a seat across from a dark haired man.

Dan Saunders agreed. “I could have told you that, Jake.”

“That girl didn’t even bother to apologize; I’d hate to be the one raising her.”

Dan took in a deep breath. “You know who that kid is? That’s Buffy Summers; I’ve been in this town long enough by now to know that. She’s been living with the Giles family. In fact, that was the Giles boy she was out with. I caught everything through the window.”

Jake paled at that realization. “Summers? As in Hank Summers?”

Dan nodded. “Yeah, the girl whose parents you whacked. I’m sure you remember that.”

He glared at his friend. “Not exactly something I can forget. Fuck, did you see the way she looked at me? She definitely recognized me. I knew coming back to this hellhole would be a mistake.”

“Now, don’t go jumping to conclusions. It was ten years ago. If she hasn’t said anything yet, I doubt she’s going to. The kid is probably too chicken.”

Jake shook his head. “I can’t risk it. I’ve come too far to get locked up now. No, I have to make sure she never talks.”


* * * * *


“Buffy, what’s wrong?”

She ignored him, running into the house and all the way upstairs.

Giles came out of the kitchen. “Son, what happened?”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t know. She wouldn’t talk to me the whole way home. Something doesn’t feel right.” He took off after her, finding that her door was slightly open. He found Buffy lying on her bed, her head buried in her pillow. Spike moved closer and sat down on the edge of her bed. “You’re not going back to shutting me out, are you? We’ve been making so much progress.”

Buffy turned her head in his direction, wiping her wet eyes.

Spike felt concerned at the sight of her tears. “You’re really starting to scare me now, Buffy. What’s wrong? Whatever it is, you can tell me.”

“You’ll think I’m crazy,” she finally spoke.

“Hey, I never thought you were crazy. I’m not about to start thinking that now.”

She sat up and clutched her pillow to her chest. “That man we saw today. He…He was the one that killed my parents. I know how it sounds, but I will never forget that face. It was him, I know it was. That’s why I had to get away.”

Spike ran his fingers soothingly down her arms, not sure what to think about this turn of events. “I believe you, but you have to tell someone. This has gone on long enough, Buffy. You have to tell the police what you know. I’m sure they would love to get their hands on him after all these years. Your parents were very loved in this town; I know catching that bloke would make everyone happy. You can’t keep quiet about this anymore.”

Buffy knew that he was right, even though she still dreaded going to the police. “Do you think he recognized me?”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t think so. I mean, it didn’t seem like he did. You were only six then, I think it’s safe to say that he had no clue who you were.”

Buffy sighed in relief. “So, what do we do?”

“First, we’re going to tell my parents. They have a right to know, then we’ll go to the police station. It’s going to be okay, pet. Soon, this will all be over.”


* * * * *


“What the fuck are you doing?”

Jake sighed in annoyance. “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m making sure my gun is loaded.”

Dan grabbed him by the shoulders. “What? You’re just gonna shoot her? That’s your big plan?”

Jake pulled away from him. “You got any better ideas? All I care about is shutting her up. This seems to be the best way to do it.”

“She’s just a little girl, Jake.”

He rolled his eyes. “Is that supposed to mean something to me? I was willing to kill her after I took out the parents. If it wasn’t for the damn cops, I would have done it. Killing some brat is no problem for me; I gotta do whatever I have to.”

Dan let out the breath he was holding. “Just think about this first, okay? We could kidnap her or something; maybe convince her not to go squealing. Threaten her with the gun; it’ll scare the pants off her that she’s bound to not say anything.”

“And you really think that’ll be enough?” Jake wondered.

“You never know. I just think we need to find a less messy way to do things for a change. You’re getting too careless, Jake. You broke into the Summers house and offed the parents without even taking into consideration that they might have a kid.”

Jake shrugged. “It’s what I do. I wasn’t about to ask them first. I get hired to do a job and I do it, no questions asked. The boss wanted Hank dead, so I made it happen. At least I didn’t leave the wife alive. And now, I’ll make sure that little brat joins her parents.”

Dan had to make his friend listen somehow; this wasn’t the way to go about it. “Let’s just try it my way. If that doesn’t work, then you can shoot her. I won’t stop you.”

Jake nodded after a moment, patting the other man on the back. “Fine, I’ll let you call the shots. One way or another, this kid won’t be breathing a word to anyone. I’ll see to that.”