Chapter 19

The last thing Spike wanted was to go to school, but knew that it would drive him crazy to stay home. He needed a distraction after Buffy’s disappearance. Spike didn’t care what anyone said, he knew that Buffy didn’t run away. Things were finally going well with them. She was happy with him, there was no way she would just take off and not tell anyone. No, it was something much worse. And if the police weren’t going to help, then he would just have to find her on his own.

“Um, Spike? Can I talk to you?”

He turned at the timid voice to see a freshman girl standing behind him, noticing her around school before. “It’s Dawn, right?”

Her eyes widened, seeming shocked that he knew her name. “Yeah, that’s me. I…I know what happened to Buffy,” she stuttered out, knowing that she was making the right decision by telling him.

Spike pulled her away from any onlookers, trying not to startle her. “What do you know?”

Dawn took a deep breath before responding. “I was outside the Bronze last night. Buffy was there, I saw two men grab her. It looked like they drugged her or something, then put her in a van and drove off. I don’t know where.”

Spike was more worried than ever now. He knew that Dawn would have no reason to lie. “Did you get a good look at them?”

“One guy had his back to me, so I couldn’t make out his face. The other one was sort of tall, with dark hair and a leather jacket. Oh, he had this scar above his eyebrow. It was pretty gross looking.”

Spike cursed to himself, remembering that the bloke in Faith’s photo had a nasty looking scar. The same bloke that murdered Buffy’s parents, he must have recognized her after all. This was not good. “Thanks, I have to go,” he said, then hurried out of the school. Now that he had a lead to go on, Spike wouldn’t rest until Buffy was safe again.


* * * * *


“I want to know why.”

Jake stopped his pacing to glare at her. “Why what?”

“I want to know why you killed my parents. What did they ever do to you?” Buffy wondered, hoping that she would finally get some answers out of him.

“I didn’t know your parents, and I sure as hell didn’t care about offing them. It was just a job. My boss wanted your pops dead, so I made it happen. Your mom was just there at the wrong time, I wasn’t about to leave any witnesses. I should have shot you when I had the chance, and I would have if it wasn’t for those damn sirens.”

Buffy shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. “How can someone be so heartless? How can you not even care that you murdered innocent people? You’re a father, for crying out loud. Would you have just shot Faith, too? You’re nothing but a miserable excuse for a human. If you ask me, she’s better off without you.”

Jake snapped and slammed his fist into a nearby crate, pointing a finger at her. “Shut up, you don’t get to talk about her! You don’t know anything! I left for her own fucking good!” he yelled, taking a deep breath to try and calm himself. “I never wanted any kids. I couldn’t be anything for her, so I took off. That bitch I was living with trapped me. She told me that she couldn’t get pregnant. It was all a plan to get me to marry her, but enough about that. I needed the money, and killing was the only thing that paid good enough. I never gave any thought to my victims. I figured if the boss wanted them dead so much, then they must have deserved it. I didn’t care about asking questions.”

Buffy raised her head. “And my dad? What did he do to deserve getting killed?

“Your perfect daddy wasn’t as perfect as you thought he was, princess. Turned out that he was a gambler, got a bit too carried away with it. He owed Mr. Rayne a shitload of money, but refused to pay. If there’s one thing my boss won’t stand for, it’s someone not paying their debt. So, he hired me to take care of the problem for him. I needed the money, it was a done deal.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “You’re telling me that my father died because he couldn’t pay his gambling debts? That’s fucking bullshit; maybe you just didn’t give him enough time. No one should die over that.”

Jake laughed. “You got a mouth on you, girl. I like it,” he said with a smirk. “If you were only ten years older, I might see what else your mouth is capable of. You’re just lucky I don’t take up with little girls, not my style.”

She scoffed. “Oh, you actually have morals? Color me surprised. I wouldn’t let you touch me, anyway. I would rather die.”

Jake moved closer, getting into her face. “That just might be arranged, sweetheart.”


* * * * *


“We have to do something. The wanker has Buffy somewhere, he’s probably hurting her.”

Giles tried to calm down his son, but it was no use. “The police are out searching for him, William. If they’re not having luck, then there’s no chance any of us would. Just sit tight and let them do their job, there’s nothing more you can do right now.”

Spike threw his hands up in the air. “The hell I can’t. I should be out there looking for her, instead of sitting around here and doing nothing. I need to do something.”

Faith pulled Spike down next to her on the couch, rubbing his back to try and ease some of the tension. Once Spike told her what happened to Buffy, Faith knew that she had to be there and left the school with him. She wanted to help out any way that she could. Faith watched as Anne and Giles headed into the kitchen, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Spike let out a long sigh once they were gone. “This is making me insane. I can’t just sit here. God, I wish I knew where he might have taken her.”

Faith’s eyes widened, a thought suddenly occurring to her. “I think I know where she might be.”

Spike turned to glance at her, with raised eyebrows.

Faith continued before he could say anything. “When I was younger, I overheard my mom talking to one of her friends. I remember it like it was yesterday, I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before. She was complaining about what a lowlife my dad was, and I remember that she mentioned he used to always go to this warehouse whenever they would fight. She only knew that because she followed him there once, never knowing what he did in there. When she confronted him about it, he just got all angry and wouldn’t tell her anything. That was the last fight they ever had, he never came back after that. I think I know which one it is; this warehouse has been abandoned for years. No one is likely to go there. That would seem like the perfect place for him to take her.”

Spike smiled, the first real one since Buffy went missing. “Lehane, I could kiss you.” He did just that, planting a hard smack on her mouth and jumping off of the couch. “It’s perfect; he probably figures that no one would find him there. Okay, you call the police and let them know. I’m going to look for Buffy.”

Faith stood up and followed after him, grabbing his arm before he could reach the stairs. “No way, I’m going with you.” It looked like he was about to argue, but she didn’t let him. “I’m going, Spike. My prick of a father is the one that has her; I wanna make sure I’m there when the cops finally bust his ass. You’re not leaving me out of it.”

Spike gave in after seeing the determined expression on her face. “Fine, we’ll call them on the way. Come on, it looks like we’re sneaking out of my window.”

Faith grinned as she followed him up the stairs. Buffy would definitely be proud.