Chapter 2

Ten years later…

“Come on, what takes you so bloody long?”

Buffy rolled her eyes from inside the bathroom. “Keep your pants on; I’ll be out in a second.”

William, also known as Spike now, threw his hands up in the air and started to pace in front of the door.

Buffy finished putting on the last of her make up and once she was satisfied with her appearance, finally left the bathroom.

Spike pushed her out of the way and hurried inside, slamming the door behind him.

“I guess he really had to go,” Buffy said to herself, then shrugged and headed downstairs. She flashed her adoptive parents a bright smile when she found them in the kitchen. “Morning, Giles.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek, then did the same with Anne. They may have been her parents for the last ten years, but she still had yet to call them Mom and Dad. For some reason, it didn’t seem right.

Anne let out a sigh. “Honestly, Buffy, I don’t understand why you continue to wear so much make up. You have such a lovely face.”

She rolled her eyes again, getting annoyed of always hearing the same lecture.

Spike bounded into the kitchen. “I would have to agree. If you didn’t paint your face so bloody much, maybe I would actually get the bathroom more.”

Buffy stuck her tongue out at him.

“Oh, that’s real mature.”

Giles groaned, having to go through the same thing every morning. “Sit down and eat your breakfast, you wouldn’t want to be late for school.”

“No, wouldn’t want that,” Buffy mumbled, but did as he said.

Spike sat down across from her, a grin lighting up his features as he kicked her leg under the table.

“Ow, you big jerk. And you talk about me being immature?”

Spike shrugged and glanced down at his plate, not able to keep the smile off of his face. It was always fun to irritate her. She had been in his family for about ten years, but it was hard to think of Buffy as a sister. They were always really close since childhood, but he mostly considered her to be one of his best friends. Even though they sometimes tended to hang out with different groups at school, he still didn’t know what he would do without her. Spike hoped to never find out.


* * * * *


“Hey, B, you’re just the person I was looking for.”

Spike rolled his eyes when Faith Lehane made her way over to them. She was the resident bad girl at Sunnydale High and he didn’t care for her influence on Buffy, but never said anything about it.

Buffy addressed Spike before leaving with her friend. “I’ll see you after school.”

He nodded and watched them walk away, Faith turning around to blow him a kiss. “And to think I actually dated her, I must have lost my bloody mind.”


* * * * *


“God, the guys in this school are so dull. I think we need to get us some college men.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head, taking a drag off her cigarette. “I doubt they would be any better.”

Faith agreed. “I wonder if I can get Spike to loosen up a bit and give us another chance, we had some good times.”

“If I recall exactly what he said about your so-called relationship, it was something like ‘that bloody crazy bitch will be the death of me.’ His words, not mine.”

Faith placed her hand over her heart. “You know, I think that actually hurt. Nah, I’m over it now. He wasn’t that good, anyway. I’ve had a better fuck in my sleep.”

“Hey, that’s not cool. Spike’s a good guy; he’s just not into everything you are. He actually does well in school and has a love of poetry. I would be surprised if you could even name a poet,” Buffy commented.

Faith gave it some consideration, then flicked her cigarette to the ground. “Okay, all of this thinking hurts my head. I’ll see you later, B.”

Buffy threw her cigarette to the ground as well and stepped on it, deciding that it was time to head to class.


* * * * *


“Blondie Bear, I was hoping that was you. Have you been avoiding me?”

Spike groaned. “Why would I do that? I don’t care about you enough to avoid you, Harmony.”

She pouted. “That’s not very nice.”

He shrugged. “I never said I was a nice bloke. What do you want?”

“I know you’re not with that freak anymore, so I figured maybe you were ready to move on. We should go out sometime.”

Spike had to laugh. “Yeah, there’s no chance of that happening. You’re not exactly my type.”

Harmony crossed her arms over her chest. “Oh, I suppose your type is crazy Goth chicks then? Come on, Spikey. You can do so much better than that.”

“Your mouth is open, Harmony. Sound is coming out, this is never good.”

She glared at the intrusion. “I didn’t realize I was talking to you, Betty.”

Spike smiled at the angry expression that took over Buffy’s features. It was no secret that the two blonde’s couldn’t stand each other.

“You’re not even worth my time. Can’t you take a hint, Barbie? He’s not interested in you. You’re just being really pathetic right now.”

Harmony moved closer to Buffy, shoving the other girl into a nearby locker. “It’s better than being a freak.”

Spike growled and stepped in front of Buffy, causing some of the students to stop and stare at them. “You don’t ever touch her, you got that?” he stated loudly, not even caring about making a scene.

Buffy placed a calming hand on his arm. “Spike, it’s okay. It’s not like she really hurt me.”

He wouldn’t budge, giving Harmony a look that could kill. “She had no right to touch you.” His tone softened when he focused back on Buffy, noticing that Harmony ran off and everyone returned to what they were doing.

“It’s okay, let’s just get to class.”

Spike calmed down enough to nod and followed after her.

Buffy worried about him when he got like that. He was a very sweet and caring guy, but had one of the worst tempers. It would usually come out when anyone hurt or threatened her. A guy called her a whore once and got a black eye for it, courtesy of Spike. She loved how protective he could be, but sometimes it was just a bit much. Buffy was perfectly capable of taking care of herself. Ever since he found out what happened to her parents, he had been extra protective of her.

Spike pulled her arm to stop her before they entered the classroom. “I’m sorry about that. I just get a bit crazed sometimes; I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

Buffy shook her head. “You didn’t, I just worry when you get like that. I’m a big girl, William. I definitely don’t need your help against, Harmony. She’s a total flake.”

Spike couldn’t argue with that. Buffy was the only one that ever got away with calling him by his real name, except for his parents. “I know, but I’m still sorry.” He tapped her nose with his finger. “You really don’t need a lot of make up, love. You would be just as beautiful without it,” he claimed, then walked into class.

Buffy stared after him in confusion, wondering what that was about.