Chapter 4

Spike was seething as he watched her across the cafeteria. Smiling and laughing at whatever the big oaf was saying to her. Liam O’Connell, also known as Angel to his friends, was nothing but trouble. He had been a bloody thorn in Spike’s side since the beginning of high school, and now he was flirting with Buffy.

“What do you suppose the git is saying to her?”

Xander Harris shrugged; he had been a friend of Spike’s for years. They went back as far as elementary school. “It’s hard to tell sitting all the way over here. It looks like he’s asking her out.”

Spike wasn’t about to let that happen. “No bloody way am I letting that ponce take out my…Buffy.” He caught himself from saying ‘my girl’ and hoped that Xander didn’t notice, but there was no such luck.

“Your what? If I didn’t know any better, I would say that you were in love with her,” Xander commented, laughing at the thought of that. His laughter quickly died down when Spike didn’t join in, instead remaining quiet. “Whoa, you’re in love with Buffy? When did that happen?”

Spike avoided his gaze, suddenly finding the floor to be very interesting. “I don’t know. It just did.” He met Xander’s eyes once again. “You can’t say anything, Harris. I don’t want her to find out.”

Xander nodded. “Sure, it’s not my place to say anything. I just don’t know how you can keep something like that a secret.”

Spike gave a sad smile. “I’ve been keeping it a secret since sophomore year. A little longer won’t hurt.”


* * * * *


“I can’t believe Angel actually invited me to his party this weekend. Me? He’s like the most popular guy in school. I didn’t even think he knew that I existed. His parties are always so huge; I never thought I would ever get an invite to one.”

Faith grinned. “You see what happens when you hang with me, B? You get noticed a lot more. I can’t wait until Spike finds out; you know he can’t stand Angel.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Well, that’s not my problem. Spike’s not my keeper; I can go out with whoever I want. He’s just gonna have to deal.”

Faith threw her arm around Buffy as they exited the school. “Let’s go to my house, I have a few outfits that would look great on you. Angel will never know what hit him.”


* * * * *


Buffy looked herself over in the mirror, feeling pleased by her appearance. She was wearing a red halter top and short, black skirt that she borrowed from Faith. Her hair fell down her shoulders in waves, the make up on her face a little lighter than usual. She decided that Spike was right about the fact that she wore too much of it. Faith would be arriving shortly to drive them over to Angel’s house. She was grateful that Giles and Anne would be out late tonight, having a feeling they wouldn’t approve of her leaving the house dressed the way she was.

“Where the hell do you think you’re going in that?”

Buffy groaned in annoyance, apparently they weren’t the only ones that wouldn’t approve of her choice in clothes. She turned to Spike. “I’m going out with Faith. What’s it to you?”

He wasn’t convinced. “Somehow I doubt that’s all you have planned. Why don’t you try again?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and just decided to tell him the truth. “Not that it’s any of your business, but I’m going to Angel’s party. He invited me personally,” she said with a smile.

“Are you out of your bloody mind? Do you know what his parties are like? The cops were called to break up the last one. You must be daft if you think I’m letting you go.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “I didn’t ask for your permission, Spike. You can’t tell me what to do.”

He grinned and stepped closer to her. “Now, that’s where you’re wrong. I’m in charge while my mum and dad are out, so you have to do as I say. You’re not going to that party. I mean it, Buffy. You’ll thank me later, that bloke is bad news. You don’t wanna get mixed up with a guy like him, okay?”

Buffy decided to give in, for now. “Fine, I won’t go. I hope you’re happy.”

His grin grew wider. “Ecstatic, I’ll be downstairs watching the telly for a bit. You can sulk up here if you want, or you can come down and join me.”

She wouldn’t budge. “I would rather sulk.”

Spike nodded. “Suit yourself,” he said, then left her room.

The second he was gone, Buffy grabbed her cell phone. “Faith, don’t knock on the front door. I’m coming out the window, I’ll meet you outside.” She clicked her phone shut and lifted the windowpane, climbing down the tree that was outside. It wasn’t the first time Buffy snuck out of the house; she was practically an expert by now. She jumped to the ground and noticed her friend drive up, making her way over to the car and getting in on the passenger side. “Let’s get out of here.”

Faith raised her eyebrows. “Sneaking out again? Let me guess, Spike didn’t exactly approve?”

“What else is new? He’s such a pain sometimes. I hate how they always treat me like a little kid.”

Faith nodded in understanding and pulled away from the house, heading to their destination. “Don’t worry, girl. We’re gonna have one hell of a time tonight.”

Buffy let a smile form on her face. She could hardly wait.


* * * * *


Spike knocked on her bedroom door, feeling guilty for how he reacted earlier. He just wanted to keep her safe, but she refused to see it.

“Buffy, are you asleep?” He got no response and turned the knob to find it unlocked, pushing her door open to see an empty room. Spike moved over to the window to find it slightly ajar. “Fuck, I’m going to kill her.” He left her room and headed downstairs, grabbing his leather coat before leaving the house. Spike would have to drag her back before his parents got home. He should have known that Buffy would pull a stunt like this; she would never back down that easily. He was kicking himself for not realizing it sooner, but he wanted to trust her. A lot of good that did, it looked like they would have to put bars on her window now. “I hope you’re having the time of your life, love. You won’t be leaving the house again for a long time.”