Chapter 6

“Stop being such a baby and let me see.”

Buffy glared at him, but let him finish putting some ointment on her face.

“There, that wasn’t so bad. This should help with the swelling,” he told her.

She avoided his gaze, feeling guilty once again. “Spike, I’m sorry that I didn’t listen to you. I wasn’t thinking.”

He nodded. “I’m just glad you’re all right. I know you’re sixteen and life is all a big party to you right now, but you need to be more careful. Blokes like Liam are nothing but trouble; you shouldn’t be getting involved with the likes of him. Did you learn nothing from the whole Parker fiasco?”

Buffy wished he wouldn’t bring that up; it was something she was still trying to forget.

“You’ve had a rough night, so I won’t tell my mum and dad about this. I’ll just mention that you fell down or something. Just don’t let it happen again, okay?”

Buffy sighed in relief that he wouldn’t tell on her. “Thanks, I promise to be better. Well, I’ll try really hard.”

Spike figured that was the best he would get out of her. “Now, get to bed. They should be home soon.”

Buffy smiled and gave him a quick hug, planting a kiss on his cheek. “Love you,” she replied, then headed into her room.

Spike let out a sigh, knowing that she only loved him as a friend. God, he really hoped she didn’t see him as a brother.


* * * * *


Buffy was tossing and turning later that night. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn’t get to sleep. She was about to give up, when she felt another presence join her on the bed. Buffy felt safe once he wrapped his strong arms around her.

“What took you so long?”

He chuckled. “Sorry, I was just coming back from the loo when I heard your struggles. The words that come out of your mouth when you can’t sleep are very amusing.”

Buffy turned around to face Spike. This was sometimes a habit with them. She would have problems sleeping or wake up from a bad dream, and he would show up to lend her some comfort. “Stay with me tonight? Chase all the demons away?”

Spike brushed a strand of hair out of her face. She sounded like a scared little girl, and he would do whatever he could to protect her. “I won’t let those demons hurt you,” he whispered.

She smiled, finally feeling herself doze off. “I know you won’t.”

Spike watched her for a while longer, then followed her in slumber.


* * * * *


“Your brother really knows how to take the fun out of everything.”

Buffy cringed at that. “He’s not my brother. You’re just lucky Spike got you out of there before you were almost raped. If that college guy is a friend of Angel’s, there’s no telling what he would have done.”

Faith shrugged. “I could have handled him. I’m not a fucking kid; I don’t need Spike to treat me like one. Now I know what it must be like to live with him. I can’t believe I seriously dated that guy. He used to be such a geek. I guess at the time that was a turn on, but now he can just kiss my ass.”

Buffy had enough. “Don’t talk about him like that. Spike cares about you, even though you don’t deserve it. He could have left you at that party, but he did the right thing by getting you out of there. I know I was very grateful to him for showing up when he did. I can’t believe I let you talk me into going in the first place.”

Faith glared at the blonde. “That was all you, B. I didn’t twist your arm; you could have easily said you didn’t wanna go.”

“It doesn’t matter, it’s done now. Just lay off of Spike, okay? He’s always been there for me.”

Faith grinned. “That’s because he’s pussy whipped when it comes to you.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows in confusion. “What the hell are you talking about?”

Faith rolled her eyes. “God, how oblivious can one person be? Spike’s got it bad for you, Blondie. Anyone with half a brain can see it.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, you’re wrong. Spike doesn’t think of me like that.”

“Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. I gotta hit the head, catch you later.”

Buffy watched her friend walk away; wondering if there could be any truth to her words.


* * * * *


“Are you okay? You’ve been pretty quiet.”

Buffy nodded as she headed to her locker after school, opening it up to throw her books inside. “I’m fine, why wouldn’t I be?”

Spike shrugged. “I don’t know. You just seem to be distracted.”

Buffy closed her locker door and turned to him. “I’m just tired, not sleeping well and all.”

Spike nodded in understanding. “I wish I could make that better for you.”

She smiled. “You did, Spike. It was a big help having you there last night.”

He blushed and glanced away from her.

Buffy wondered about that, but noticed Angel laughing with his friends in the distance.

Spike turned as well, pure hatred now taking over his features at the sight of the dark haired man. He had a feeling about what the ponce was telling his mates.

Buffy placed her hand on his arm, knowing what he was thinking. “Don’t, just let it go. You’ll only make things worse.”

“I can’t let that bastard get away with what he did to you. He’s acting like nothing even happened.”

Buffy agreed. “Angel will get his sooner or later, Spike. I wouldn’t want you to do anything that you might regret later. Come on, let’s go home.”

Spike focused back on Buffy, never able to deny her anything. “Yeah, let’s get out of here.” He took her hand in his and led her out of the school.

Buffy noticed that his hand was still clutching hers once they got outside, but realized that it felt really good.


* * * * *


Spike was lying in bed later that night, staring up at the ceiling. Everything was starting to be too much, knowing that Buffy was in the room across from him and not being able to have her the way he wanted. He started to have dreams of his own, but where Buffy’s were terrifying; his were a bit more erotic. Spike would have given anything for his dreams to become reality, but it wasn’t likely to happen. He would just have to admire her from afar and have that be enough. He had been doing it for years now, anyway. Spike was suddenly brought out of his thoughts by a bloodcurdling scream.