Chapter 8

It had been weeks since they talked. Buffy avoided him every chance she could, and he gave her the space that she wanted. No matter how much it killed him. He had to suffer with watching her from afar again, witnessing the flirting that she would do with boys that weren’t even worthy of her. Every day he saw her with a new bloke. It took a lot of self-control not to march over to Buffy and rip her away from the ponce that she was with. He turned away when she started to play tonsil hockey with Owen Thurman, just another brainless jock. He wondered if she was secretly trying to torture him. Spike had to see that for over a week now and wasn’t about to take much more of it. He finally had enough and grabbed his books, making his way out of the cafeteria and not looking back.


* * * * *


Spike was exhausted when he finally entered his house later that night. He spent a couple of hours at the Bronze, Sunnydale’s only real club, before heading for home. He just needed time to himself and away from Buffy. His parents were out once again and probably wouldn’t be back until really late. Spike was ready to sleep for about a year and made his way up the stairs, suddenly stopping at the sight of Buffy’s bedroom door partly open. He peered inside, pure rage taking over his features at the form of Buffy lying on her bed, with Owen Thurman on top of her. He had to witness their disgusting displays at school, but he would be damned to deal with it at home. With that thought in mind, he burst through her door and caused them to jump at the interruption.

“What the fuck is going on?”

Owen instantly pulled away from her.

Spike saw red when he noticed that Buffy was in nothing but her knickers, another second and he would have been too late.

Buffy glared at him as she stood up. “God, do you know how to knock?”

Spike was surprised that was all she had to say. He turned and focused on the jock. “Why are you still here?”

Owen held his hands up and grabbed his shirt off of the floor, putting it on and glancing at Buffy. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, then left her room.

Buffy placed her hands on her hips. “What the hell is your problem, Spike?”

He was too distracted to hear what she said, too busy staring at her jiggling breasts. Sure, he fantasized about seeing her topless before, but never thought he would get the chance to experience it. She didn’t look all that embarrassed to be standing in front of him half naked.

Buffy noticed what had his attention and rolled her eyes. “Jeez, you’re such a guy. Take a picture, it’ll last longer.”

That snapped him out of it as he stared at her, shaking his head. “Put something on, I can’t talk to you like this.”

Buffy grinned and moved closer to him. “Is this making you uncomfortable? I bet you’ve had a lot of naughty dreams about this very moment, haven’t you? Admit it, Spike. I know you want me.” She didn’t really know that, but wanted to see how far he would go.

“You’re off your bird. I’m trying to yell at you here, and this is very distracting.”

Buffy stepped even closer to him, until her chest was almost pressed against his. “You wanna touch them? Come on, they don’t bite.”

Spike shut his eyes as she grabbed one of his hands and placed it over her left breast, forcing him to squeeze. Her nipple hardened under his touch as she let out a moan. It was then that he opened his eyes, ripping his hand away from her as if burned. “Get dressed; I’ll be in my room if you want to talk.”

Buffy laughed as he hurried to get out of there. “He is so easy.”


* * * * *


Spike was pacing his bedroom back and forth after what just happened with Buffy. He never in a million years thought that he would ever get to touch her there, but that wasn’t how he wanted it to happen. It was all just a joke to her. Buffy didn’t know of his feelings and would truly make fun of him if she ever found out. A throat being cleared in his doorway caused him to look up at her, relieved to see her wearing sweats now. Spike remained silent as she entered his room. He was stunned when she unexpectedly walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head against his chest. He heard a sniffle and wondered if she was crying, but noticed that her eyes were dry once she gazed up at him.

“I’m sorry, Spike. I don’t know what came over me.”

He rubbed her back and took in a deep breath. “It’s okay; you’ve been through a lot.”

She shook her head. “That’s no excuse for the way I’ve been treating you. The things I said a few weeks ago, you didn’t deserve that. I know you were only trying to help. I just hate feeling like this. It’s like one moment I’m perfectly fine. I’m happy and laughing with my friends at school, then the next moment I’m completely miserable. It comes out of nowhere and I hate it.”

Spike didn’t know what to say to that. He just held her for a while longer, until it was time for bed. Spike tucked her in later that night, planting a quick kiss to her forehead and watching as she drifted off to sleep. He then made his way back into his room and just lay there for what felt like forever, knowing that sleep would not come easy for him. This was the last time he was going to keep everything to himself. If Buffy had one more nightmare, he was going to come clean to his parents. She might be pissed at him, but he knew that she would eventually understand it was the right thing to do. He couldn’t deal with Buffy all by himself anymore, being the only one that knew what was really going on with her. It was too much to handle. He was only one person and she needed real help, more than he could ever give her. Spike heard the scream coming from her room about an hour later and got out of bed. Yes, it was time that his parents finally knew the truth. Spike just hoped that she would be able to forgive him.