Author's Chapter Notes:
hope you like it
Buffy walked down the stairs and Spike’s eyes popped.

“Jesus Buffy, you look better every time I see you.” he said with honesty. A red shimmering dress clung to her curves, the back of it almost reaching her ankles, the front stopping just under the knee. It was backless too he noted when she spun for him, laughing. Her hair hung down in gentle waves and her makeup was flawless. Smoky eyes and lip-gloss. It was perfect and she looked like an angel.

“Glad you think so.”

“Where are you heading?”, ‘can I come’ was the silent question in the air.

“Out for my birthday with Willow and Xan.”

Spike’s eyes popped again, this time with anger. “What the fuck Buffy? You couldn’t give a bloke a heads up as to what day this was? If I had done this to you…”

“September 10th.” She cut off with a small smile.

“You remember my birthday?”

“Yes.”

He shook his head and offered a small wry smile, “give a ponce the chance to make this right?”

Buffy looked at him, REALLY looked at him. Ever since the talk they’d had last week things had been a little strained, admittedly she was to blame. The whole is this a relationship or isn’t thing had kept her up most nights and kept her cranky in the day from lack of sleep…the crankiness had inevitably led to her bickering with him everyday and keeping her distance.

She nodded and jotted down the address of the restaurant and with a wink was out the door into the waiting car of Xander.

The second the door closed Spike’s grin broke through and he let loose the chuckle he’d been holding in as he peeled the baggy sweat pants and sweater off that had been concealing his tux.

He’d been the one to organize Buffy’s night out and had made sure that while Willow and Xander let her know she was going out and to wear her spiffiest, she had no idea they were going to Apocalypse, one of the most exclusive clubs just outside of town. It was a restaurant until 9 pm, at which point the dance halls opened up and the party started.

He grabbed his car keys and the carefully wrapped package he’d hidden in the closet and left in a hurry. Willow would only be able to stall them for so long before Buffy suspected something and he wanted to be waiting at the door of the club when they got there, wanted to see her eyes when she realized she’d been set up.



“Willow you look fine, come on already” Buffy giggled watching her friend arrange and rearrange her dress straps. Willow giggled, “Alright, let’s go Miss Ants in the Pants.”

“Ants in the pants? Willow, you changed 3 times and did your make up twice.”

The red head smiled, “Ya well, perfection takes time.”

Buffy nodded her head, her mind flashing back to seeing Spike drenched in sweat and doing push ups in the backyard. “Yes, perfection does take time.”

Willow rolled her eyes at her friends almost drooling state.



“Are we there yet?” Buffy whined for the 6th time.

Xander laughed, “Don’t make me turn this car around ladies cuz’ so help me God I will.”

Everyone laughed but none the less sighed in relief as the car pulled into a parking lot.

“Oh thank god” Buffy moaned, “I’m starving.”

“Me too” Willow agreed as the girls flanked Xander, looping their arms through his as he led them up to…
“OH MY GOD NO WAY” Buffy shrieked excitedly when she saw their destination.

“How did you get us reservations at Apocalypse?” she asked.

Xander smiled at her, “Not me.”

Buffy’s head swung to Willow who shook her head no.

“Then who?” she asked confused.

“That’d be me pet” came the sexy voice as it stepped into her view and its owner lit a smoke.

Her mouth dropped before words came out, “You…you…YOU”RE FANTASTIC” she squealed and threw herself into his arms and he spun her around happily.

“Did I tell you that you look fantastic?”

“Yes but if you need to tell me again, please, go ahead” she joked.

“You’re the prettiest bird here, any one who even looks at you is the luckiest bloke in the world.”

“Thank you Spike…you look so handsome right now. Who’d have thought you cleaned up so nice?” she added jokingly but Spike didn’t miss her appraising eye.


They all headed inside to the table, the sound of the live band playing a soft number permeating the room. When the waiter came they all ordered drinks and Willow and Xander headed to the dance floor, wanting to leave Buffy and Spike to themselves for a few moments.

“I don’t even know where to begin to thank you for this Spike, I’ve wanted to come here for years, since it opened but I never had the money” she explained with a smile.

“Ya well, I’m living with this crazy chit who won’t let me pay any rent so money’s not so much an issue anymore.”

Buffy smiled and slid her hand across the table into his, “So how do I thank you?”

“Seeing you this happy is more than enough for me kitten, just sit back and have a hell of a night, that’s all I want.”

“Nothing else?” she asked, eyebrow raised.

Spike smiled, “Nothing I can think of that would be appropriate in public princess…”
Buffy blushed and looked down. God the way he looked at her was unlike anyone else ever had, he was so intense. There was nothing that he felt that could stay out of his eyes when she looked into them and what she saw there tonight was earth shattering. Awe, respect, adoration and love…so much love. There was something magical about the night though and instead of running scared like she normally would have she found herself embracing the warmth he gave her.

He placed a finger under her chin and raised her head, “Well…maybe one thing.”

She leaned in, preparing herself to be thoroughly kissed but was pulled onto her feet instead.

“May I have this dance?”

She knew he was referring to the conversation they’d had on the porch the other day and smiled.

“God yes!”