Author's Chapter Notes:
Again, the chapter is not beta'd.

I put the warning up for Violence but hopefully it's not realy thaaaat bad! I hope you'll enjoy this chapter too! :)
“Xander, you can not be serious!”

“Sorry, Riley. The boat won’t start and I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I’ll have to get someone to look at it.”

“Yeah? So?”

“It’s Friday night. Not too many workshops are open right now. The closest I could find opens Monday.”

“Monday?! I have to work, I can’t be away without telling anyone!”

“If it takes that long I promise to tell the boss what happened. I’ll try to come and get you as soon as possible, okay?”

The four of them sat around the phone listening to Xander on Riley’s cellphone, unable to understand that this was actually happening. They’d felt relieved at first when Xander called. It had been nearly five hours ago since Xander and Faith left the island and it was pitch black out on the water. The only light they had right now was the fire and the small display of Riley's cell.

“What about Faith? Doesn’t she know anyone?”

“Uh, no. She, uh, she left when I couldn’t get the boat running. Said something about a ladies’ special at The Bronze.”

“Isn’t there any way to fix this sooner?”

“Not that I know of. But I promise I’ll get you home as soon as possible.”

“So we are stuck here until Monday?”

“Seems like. But look on the bright side.”

“What’s that?”

“At least you’ve got enough food and water with you.”

“Right. Yay for us.” Riley rubbed his tired eyes and sighed.

“Look, you should save some of that battery on your phone in case of an emergency.”

“I agree.”

“And hey, there’s a deck of cards in my backpack if you get bored.”

“Wow. A whole deck of cards, just for us.”

“Have fun guys. Bye everyone!” Xander said and hung up when everyone had said goodbye to him.

Buffy sighed and took another sip of her wine. It was the last glass she had and she felt a little tipsy. She almost giggled when she heard Angel curse in some strange accent she hadn’t heard him use before. Spike lit a cigarette and Buffy waved smoke out of her eyes and coughed.

“Didn’t you just say you quit smoking?”

“I smoke when I’m stressed.”

“Uh huh. So why are you stressed now?”

Spike glared at her like she was stupid. She didn’t like it. In fact it annoyed her.

“Didn’t you hear a word that was just said?”

“Yes I did. What’s the big deal? We’re only going to stay here one extra day than planned.”

“Excuse me? One day?”

“Yeah. You heard Xander.” Buffy was getting more worked up at Spike’s change in personality. This was the guy she knew of and loathed.

“That’s right, I did. I also listened to what he was saying between the lines.”

“What do you mean? “

“The workshop opens Monday. That means it will probably take another couple of days to get the boat fixed, doesn’t it?”

The rest of them frowned. Spike was right. Riley scratched his neck.

“I didn’t think of that. Damn.”

“Yeah. So excuse me for smoking when my life can get royally screwed up!”

Buffy giggled.

“Your life? What life? Dating Drusilla?”

Spike stood, throwing his cigarette into the fire.

“You better be careful of what you’re saying.” He narrowed his eyes at her.

Buffy also got to her feet and squared her shoulders and looked into the blue eyes.

“Or what?” She challenged. Her head was spinning but the wine also made her feel like she was six feet tall. Spike opened his mouth to say something when Riley and Angel interfered.

“Calm down Spike. Remember we’re all gonna be stuck here on this island now for several days.” Angel tried to calm his friend.

“I know that. But I didn’t think the little princess would be so snotty!”

“Princess?!” Buffy came around the brunette and pushed Spike hard in the chest. He tumbled and fell backwards, landing on the wet sand on the tiny beach.

“Hey!” Angel grabbed her arm and kept her from going after Spike. “That’s enough, both of you!” Buffy stopped moving. Angel had his big hand on her arm. Unfortunately he let go too soon. He offered a hand to Spike and helped him get back on his feet.

“Now... Can we act like civilized...”

“She started it!” Spike yelled and pointed at Buffy. She felt insulted.

“I did not!” She yelled back and rushed at him again. Just as she was about to push him in the chest again, Spike quickly stepped aside and held a leg out. Buffy tripped over it and landed face down in the sand. Spike laughed but he was twirled around and was faced with a pissed off Riley.

“Knock it off, Blondie.”

“Blondie?!” Spike’s eyebrows narrowed and he clenched his jaw along with his fists. Before he had the chance to hit the man, someone pushed Riley away.

“Don’t call him that.”

“Oh, are you gonna start something now?”

“Not unless I have to.” Angel warned.

“I wasn’t just gonna stand back when you friend here was...”

“Not to sound like a kid, but your friend did start it!”

“It doesn’t matter who started it!”

Riley and Angel started arguing louder and then Riley made the mistake of poking a finger in Angel’s chest. Angel hit the hand away and pushed Riley backwards. Suddenly they were rolling around in the wet sand, grunting as fists connected with flesh.

They both missed when Spike went over to Buffy and helped her up. Buffy was going to argue some more but Spike hushed her, pointing towards their wrestling friends.

In silent agreement, Buffy and Spike buried the hatchet for a moment and sat down side by side to watch the show.

Angel and Riley were out in thigh- deep water now. Suddenly Angel’s head was pushed under the surface and Riley huffed out some air. He faced away from them, stretched his arms in the air and howled his victory. Then Angel shouted something and threw himself on Riley’s back, making them both go under water. When they came back up they were greeted with applause. They blushed a little and slowly made their way up on land.

“Now, be good boys and shake hands.” Spike mocked them. Angel gave him the finger and stripped off his shirt. Buffy felt her face heat up. She had seen men naked before, Riley for example, but not someone she barely knew and had the hots for. She smiled a little and felt her face blush. Angel was beautiful and the fire cast entrancing flickers of light on his muscles. But Buffy’s face fell when he turned his back at them. He had long scars across his back. Buffy wanted to ask but was afraid to. She glanced at Spike and he watched her with interest.

“Buffy, are you ready to go to bed?” Riley said and drew her attention to him.

“Riley, you are big, wet and cold. No way am I sharing the tent with you tonight!” She said, slightly amused.

Riley and Angel looked at each other. Suddenly they smiled and Angel went into his and Spike’s tent. Riley shrugged and smiled at Buffy.

“Okay, have it your way.” He said, went into their tent and got a dry pair of underwear and his pillow. Then he followed Angel into their tent. Before Buffy realized what was happening, Spike’s pillow came flying along with Riley’s wet jeans and socks.

Buffy felt dread creep up her spine.

“Riley!” she yelled.

“Suit yourself! You said there was no way you’re sharing tent with me tonight. Did you think I was going to sleep outside?”

“I was joking!” Buffy panicked. She was so not gonna share the tent with Spike!

“Too laaate.” Riley almost sang.

“Riley no, you can’t do this!”

“I just did. Good night.” She heard Riley and Angel laugh inside the tent. Buffy looked at Spike but he was just staring into the fire, smoking a cigarette.

“Spike, what are we gonna do?” She asked, upset that Riley would do this to her.

“What can we do? Seems like they made up their minds.”

“But...”

“I’m not a molester, rapist or a murderer. And no one has ever complained about me snoring. I think you can sleep well assured with me.”

“No, I didn’t mean it like that. I just don’t know you that well...”

“Right.” Spike said and flicked his cigarette butt into the fire. He got to his feet and picked up his pillow. Buffy felt bad, she really didn’t mean it to sound like that.

“Uh, Spike? Is it okay if I go in first and change?”

“Sure. Just hurry up. It’s getting a bit nippy.”
*****

Buffy called him in when she was brushing her hair. He came in and sat down and started pulling his clothes off. Again, Buffy blushed at a naked man’s chest. Spike’s was a bit different than Angel’s. He was thinner but his muscles were more defined. And the skin seemed to be smooth like velvet or something. She averted her eyes before Spike would notice. She put her brush away and pulled her sleepingbag closer to her chest. She wore a T-shirt but it was pretty snug. And now when it was getting a bit chilly... Well, she didn’t want Spike to notice her stiff nipples.

“So. Is Spike your real name?”

“Yeah right.”

“What’s your real name then?”

“What’s it to you?”

“Just trying to get to know you better. I thought that knowing your real name was a good start.”

“It’s William. What’s yours?”

“Buffy.”

“I know that. What’s your real name?”

“Sorry to disappoint you but that’s it.”

“It is? Wow. Who came up with that?”

“My mom I think.”

“You should ask her what the hell she was thinking.”

“Can’t. She passed away last year.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. Dare I ask?”

“Brain tumour.”

“Fuck. That had to be painful to watch.”

“Yeah. She was a great person and people loved her wherever she went. Her co-workers at the museum sent so many flowers when she died.”

“Museum? I knew someone there but... wait. Your mom, she didn’t happen to be Joyce Summers, would she?” Spike slid inside Riley’s sleepingbag and laid on his back, putting his arms under his head.

“Yes, that’s my mom.” Buffy smiled, happy that someone knew her. She also slid inside her sleepingbag and was glad to feel warmth surround her.

“She was a great lady. She always had a smile on her lips when she greeted customers and visitors. She was the best thing about that museum.”

“Thank you. That means a lot.”

“You’re welcome. I’m sorry I dragged it up. It wasn’t that long since she passed away. I understand if it makes you sad.”

“It’s okay. Really. I like to talk about her.”

“Okay. I understand what you’re going through though.”

“You do?”

“Yeah. My mom died several years ago. But it still aches when I think about her.”

Buffy was impressed by the openness Spike showed her. And it was strangely comforting.

“Anyway, I think it’s time to sleep. Tomorrow we can think of some kind of revenge plan to get back at our friends. What do you say?” Spike smiled and Buffy found she coudn’t look away. The smile was sincere and Spike was... well, she couldn’t think of any other word to describe him but beautiful.

Spike turned off the flashlights and moved around a little before he sighed contentedly.

“Good night, miss Summers.”

“Good night, William.” She replied and smiled wider when Spike groaned at the use of his name.

She closed her eyes and thought about her mom. Soon, she fell asleep.


TBC