Author's Chapter Notes:
Italics=internal monologue.

Last chapter, guys! Hope you enjoyed it!
Tears again filled Buffy’s eyes as she watched Giles’ hot air balloon fade out of sight.

“Oh, now I’ll never get home!”

A random Emerald City woman pointed at a pink bubble slowly descending onto the city.

“Look! It’s Glinda!”

Tara smiled benevolently as she walked toward Buffy and Spike.

“Dear, you’ve always had that power to go home.”

“Just click my heels together? Oh, and say ‘There’s no place like home,’ right?”

Tara shook her head

“Well, no dear, not quite. That would only take you home,” Tara said, pulling Buffy closer to her and whispering in her ear. “And I think that you might want to take your vampire home with you.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she whispered back to Tara.

“How did you know?”

“I’m a witch, dear. It didn’t take me long to figure it out. You and your vampire don’t belong here, and I can already see the ramifications of your visit. If you don’t get out now, I fear that there will be irreparable damage.”

“So how do we get home?”

“I was getting to that. You and ‘Toto’ have to claim each other as mates.”

“Claim?”

Spike’s sensitive hearing picked up on even the quietest of whispers between the two women, but he hadn’t acknowledged it until he heard those dreaded words.

“Buffy, it’s like a marriage…only…forever. It usually only happens between two vamps. It gives each partner a mental and eternal link to the other. No one really does it anymore because…well, it’s a very long commitment, pet. Romance is dead, anyway. I haven’t met two creatures who love one another enough to commit to that.”

“I love you enough,” Buffy said, her eyes sparkling.

“I know you do, pet, but we can find another way.”

Tara shook her head.

“Unless you wish to stay here, vampire, there is no other way.”

“Do you love me,” Buffy asked him, fear crossing her face.

“Of course I do, Buffy.”

“If this wasn’t an ultimatum, and I asked you on my own, would you want to claim me?”

Spike sighed, closed his eyes, and nodded.

“I want you forever, pet. And I wouldn’t dare turn you, so, yeah, this is the next best thing. I get you as an immortal, and you get to keep your sodding soul.”

“Good. I want this, Spike. Just tell me how to do it.”

“Easy, pet. We bite each other and claim one another as our own.”

“You do it first.”

Spike vamped out and drew Buffy closer to him, blocking out the screams of the Emerald City dwellers.

“Glad to, pet.”

Spike bit into Buffy’s neck gently, sucking in a mouthful of blood. Though only his fangs made contact with her flesh, Buffy felt an orgasm pulse through her very core. Spike’s strong arms held her up as her body weakened. He carefully pulled his fangs out of her neck, but remained in full game face.

“MINE!”

Following suit, Buffy bit into Spike’s neck with her blunt, human teeth, and lapped up the few drops of blood she drew.

“MINE!”

Images of their mate’s past bombarded Buffy and Spike’s minds. Buffy’s eyes moistened as she witnessed Spike’s pain as Cecily spurned his affections, his devotion to his sick mother, and his poet’s heart. His intense need to love and be loved was shown to Buffy as Drusilla exploited it for centuries. The decades of torture and pain caused to and by Spike race through Buffy’s mind, until a blonde haze slowed the bloodshed. Seeing the greatest of Spike’s pain and heartache come at her own hands caused Buffy the most horror. For the first time, she saw the summer after she died; Spike’s sorrow as her friends buried her, his desire to be accepted by someone close to her as he helped them in the fight for good, and his unappreciated care taking of Dawn. Buffy realized as she awoke from the vision that her love for Spike intensified with each flash of his lengthy life.

As his life flashed through Buffy’s mind, so did Buffy’s life flash through Spike. His vision was decidedly shorter, but no less pain-filled or affecting. Spike saw Buffy’s childhood; her heartbreak as her father left her family, and her confusion and anger when she was called to be the Slayer. His eyes blurred with tears as he saw her friends and loved ones, including himself, betray her in their own way.

After slowly regaining their senses, Buffy and Spike ran into each other’s arms. Spike stroked her hair as their tears flowed freely and mixed on the yellow brick road beneath them.

“God, I’m sorry…so sorry, love….”

“Spike…I…I’m sorry too…I think we have a lot to make up for.”

“I’ll do anything, pet, just name it.”

Buffy buried her tear-stained face in Spike’s shoulder.

“Just hold me.”

“That I can do, pet.”

Spike wiped Buffy’s face dry with his sleeve before drying his own. He held her close to himself before looking to Tara.

“Can we go home now, Glinda?”

“It’s all up to her,” Tara said as she nodded at Buffy.

Buffy’s eyes shone with resolve as she grabbed Spike’s hand and walked forward. She looked over her Oz-ian friends, smiling at each of them, beguilingly.

“Thank you all for helping me,” she said before turning to Spike. “Let’s go home, baby.”

Buffy clicked her sparkling red pumps together and closed her eyes.

“There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home….”

When she opened her eyes again, Spike’s hand was gone, and she lay in a small hospital bed.

Oh no…oh no…it didn’t work…oh God, oh God, oh God, it didn’t work!

Sitting up in terror, Buffy’s eyes darted around her, searching for her mate. Buffy and Spike sighed in unison when their eyes met. Spike pulled an IV out of his arm and moved over to Buffy, desperately searching her eyes for the love they found in Oz.

“Buffy, love, tell me you remember…God, please…I…if it was a dream, I couldn’t bear it, and you’d best to stake me right now.”

Buffy pushed her hair back from her neck, revealing his fresh bite mark. He smiled in triumph when he noticed that the other marks that had graced Buffy’s neck had vanished. Eyes sparkling, her trailed his finger across his mark.

“You still mine, love?”

“Always.”

Willow burst into the room, her hair disheveled. Her eye bulged out when she saw Buffy and Spike, fully conscious, and locked in a loving embrace.

“GUYS! You’re back! Oh, oh, thank Goddess!”

Xander, Dawn, and Giles, hearing Willow’s outcry, ran into the hospital room. Xander sighed in relief when he saw the two were finally revived, as Giles sunk to the floor against the wall. Dawn simply fainted.


--

After placing the unconscious Dawn on Spike’s bed, the conscious group exchanged smiles.

“Think the Niblet is glad we’re back, pet,” Spike said, placing a soft kiss on Buffy’s forehead.

“How’d you guys get back? You have to tell us everything,” Xander said, his smile brightening the room.

Buffy gave Spike a knowing wink and squeezed his hand.

“I’ll tell them this time…you have to retell it to Dawn when she wakes up, deal?”

Spike sighed, but stared in total adoration at his mate.

“Whatever you want, love.”

“Good. Well, it all started when I woke up in this little crashed farmhouse….”




~THE END~


--
This story was written in response to:

Challenge: 321

"This challenge is the result of an all night tag chat with Lady Yashka and Miss Onyx, forgive me if it has already been done :D

This can be set any season 4 or beyond.

Spuffy in Oz.

All of the BtVS characters in the land of Oz.
Buffy and Spike are somehow sucked into a portal (or a spell gone wrong) to the Land Of Oz.

Must have:
Buffy and Spike searching for a way home, but finding out that they are home as long as they are together.
Tara as Glinda.
Giles as the Wizard.

Can have:
Any characters questing for something they need, you don't need to keep to the courage, heart and brains thing unless you want to.
Maggie Walsh, Willow, or Dru as the wicked witch.
You can have Angel and Riley in here if they are not good guys, they have to be minions.

Can't have:
Spike torture
Spike/other unless very briefly
Buffy/other unless very briefly"