Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Carol for her beta work! she's a total star!
The next day Spike told the gang including, ironically, Buffy, that he and Helen had split but that he was okay.

It was the young slayers who noticed the relationship between Buffy and Spike had changed. The constant sniping from Buffy was replaced with effusive praise, and Spike’s flirting with the girls was replaced by keeping his hands on Buffy for a fraction longer than necessary when going through fight moves.

Dawn overheard the slayers talking about it and went to find Buffy.

“Is it true?” she demanded.

“Is what true, Dawnie?” Buffy replied.

“You, Spike, the whole love thing? And don’t tell me it’s none of my business. It’s all the slayers are talking about.”

“Yes, Dawn, it is true.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? I’m your sister. I should’ve been the first to know!” She stood there, arms folded across her chest in such a typical ‘Dawnie in a snit mode’ that Buffy almost laughed.

“We were just waiting ‘til the right time. We still can’t believe it’s happening ourselves. I’ve loved him for such a long time, Dawnie. Please be happy for me.”

“Of course I’m happy for you,” she replied, giving her sister a hug, “I’m just cross I didn’t hear it from you first. Did the Immortal know you loved Spike even after you knew he was dead? Is that why he took it so bad?”

“Yes, he knew I’d never love him like I do Spike and confronted me about it, so that’s when I ended it,” answered Buffy, remembering how difficult it had been to extract the Immortal from her life, his fury at coming second to someone who was dead knowing no bounds.

“You’ve got to tell everyone, Buffy. Don’t have them all hearing it like I did, it’s not fair,” said Dawn sensibly.

Ooooooooooooo

They told the others that evening after their work was finished and the young slayers gone to their quarters for the night. Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Andrew and Giles had gotten into the habit of having a drink together before going home. Spike usually went straight off for his run but this time joined them in the kitchen, leaning on the door frame, with the others seated at the table.

They’d agreed that Buffy would be doing the telling - she’d always been better at speeches than he had.

“I’ve got some news for you,” Buffy started, “Well, it’s more we’ve got some news.”

She stood up and went to stand with Spike, taking his hand in hers. Everyone was staring at them.

“Spike and me…..we’re an item,” she finished.

Willow leapt up and went over to the couple, hugging them both in turn.

“That’s fantastic, I’m so pleased. You’re finally properly together.”

The others joined in adding their congratulations to Willow’s. Only Giles seemed a little reticent. After an hour or so Spike said he’d best be off and the others all started to move, too. Buffy went upstairs to her room in Giles’ apartment to throw a few things into a bag so she could stay over at Spike’s. As everyone left the kitchen Spike said to Giles,

“Rupert, can I have a word?”

“Yes, Spike. What is it?” said Giles, sounding a little defensive as well he might.

“Look, I know you’ve never been my biggest fan, even after all the help you’ve given me lately. There’s still pretty well too much history between us for us to be buddies, but I want you to know that I do deeply love Buffy. I have for years. I sought my soul for her.”

“To atone for trying to rape her,” stated Giles baldly.

Spike shot him a look.

“Thing is I had a demon in me then, but I fought to be better Rupert. Okay so even now I’m human I’m not the best match for her, I know it. Least now I can give her a proper future. Just one thing I want to ask is why did you tell me she was with the Immortal? It made things so much harder. I ended up hurting Helen ‘cause I tried to put Buffy behind me. Thought you were over doing those sorts of tricks, Rupe, after how things had gone in the past?”

“Honestly, Spike, I don’t know why I said it. I just did. I just don’t want to see Buffy hurt again,” he replied.

“That makes two of us then,” Spike said glibly.

Buffy arrived back at the kitchen and Spike turned to her and gave her a kiss, then winked at Giles, took her hand and led her away, leaving Giles shaking his head ruefully.

Ooooooooooooo

Buffy moved into Spike’s flat permanently a week or so later, Dawn deciding to share with Willow. They soon settled into a routine, Spike as ever trying to keep as fit as possible. He still ran twice per day but now Buffy joined him. She’d even gotten him to jog home in the dark, albeit on the brightly lit main streets. It was getting towards Christmas time and it was dark by around 4.30pm.

The intake of slayers came and went. They studied and trained at the Council for ten weeks before returning to their Watchers. The schedule ran like clockwork, Spike and Buffy imparting all their knowledge to the girls. Spike got more confident, able to accept his human limitations without frustration.

He still missed his superior vampire strength, though, especially if Buffy got a bit carried away in their love-making. He grinned as he rubbed a bruise on his ribs from the night before.

Despite all of this, Spike was a worried man. Everything was a little too perfect. Life had a habit of slapping you down at times like these. He should know - he’d endured more than enough of life’s foibles during his existence.

Oooooooooooooo

Christmas came and went, Xander coming to London for the holidays. The whole crew spent Christmas together eating and drinking way too much. Everyone was surprised at Spike’s culinary skills, which soon achieved cult status. He pretty well single-handedly provided all the cooking. When commented on Spike just gave his usual grin, head tilting on one side and wondered why it was a surprise to them that he’d picked up some good skills over his hundred odd years. Plus, it got him out of the washing up.

Oooooooooooo

Just the other side of New Year’s Day Spike heard Buffy throwing up in the bathroom. Not for the first time lately she emerged looking pale and wan.

“You okay love?” he asked, “I’m going to phone the doctors. This is happening too often, you need checking out.”

“But I’ll be alright,” protested Buffy.

Spike gave her a look that brooked no argument and went to the phone.

An hour later they were sitting in the waiting room of the doctor’s office. Spike had insisted on coming with her, neither feeling very comfortable in the surroundings.

“Buffy Summers to room two.” Came the announcement over the speakers.

Spike went to get up with her.

“You stay here,” she said firmly and she went off to the doctor’s room.

Spike sat there worriedly flicking through the months old magazine.

“God, if there’s anything seriously wrong I don’t know what I’ll do,” he thought in panic.

“Mr. Summers?” said a nurse.

“Mr. Summers?” she repeated, nudging Spike’s arm.

“What? Huh? Oh, sorry, was miles away,” stuttered Spike, not bothering to correct the nurse on the name thing.

“The doctor would like you to come through.” She led the way.

“Christ! There is something terribly wrong!” he thought.

He got to the door and put his hand, which was shaking, out to open it.

“Get a grip, Spike. Got to be there for her, not fall apart.”

“Ah, Mr. Summers,” said the doctor, “Please take a seat.”

Spike walked over and took the chair next to Buffy. Buffy was avoiding his gaze. His heart was hammering in his chest.

The doctor looked at the man opposite, taking in how anxious he looked. The patient was a lucky girl as he obviously thought the world of her, and so he decided to put him out of his misery. He smiled at Spike.

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to look after Mrs. Summers most carefully,” he said.

Spike, on the edge of his chair, leaned forward earnestly and said,

“Always, I’ll look after her forever.”

“Well, I’m not too worried about forever although that sounds very nice. I was thinking more of for the next seven months.”

“What……?” he looked at Buffy who was beaming at him, eyes dancing.

“I’m pregnant, Spike! We’re having a baby!”

“Oh my God!” exclaimed Spike, his face lighting up. He grabbed her and hugged her tight, then stopped and looked at her.

“Christ, was that too hard?”

“Spike, calm down! I’m pregnant, not made of glass,” Buffy laughed, “I’m still huggable.”

The doctor enjoyed scenes like this. It made him remember why he became a doctor in the first place and this handsome couple must have had some tough times in the past, judging by the man’s limp and scarred face. It was nice to impart glad tidings for a change.

Spike looked at the doctor.

“Do we know when?” he asked, still unable to believe it.

“We’ll know more when we’ve done the scans but going on what Buffy has told me. I’d expect the little one’s arrival to be in July. A summer baby for the Summers,” he joked.

After arranging appointments for scans and such, Buffy and Spike left the doctor’s and went home. By the time she got home she knew Spike would end up driving her mad throughout the pregnancy if he carried on as he did - rushing to open doors, holding her arm as she went up some steps. Once in the flat he guided her to the sofa and rushed to the kitchen to make her some tea.

“Spike, honey?”

“Yes?” he replied, popping his head round the kitchen door.

“Stop.”

“Stop what?” he queried.

“The fussing over me like I’m an invalid! Just come and sit with me!” she said in exasperation.

Obediently he came over and sat down. As soon as he had she thumped him hard on his arm.

“Ow! What the hell was that for?” he yelled.

“Just making sure the no fussing thing sinks in.”

“Sorry, love,” said Spike, holding her hand, “it’s just…..well…….I never…..” he stopped, overcome by emotion. He looked at Buffy with tears in his eyes.

Suddenly she knew what he meant. Vampires can’t have children and even though he’d returned to human form he’d not dared believe that he’d be fertile again. The subject of children had never been mentioned.

“Oh, Spike,” she said, crying openly herself as she kissed away his tears.

“It’s just another of the things I used to think I could never give you,” he said, “and I want to give you everything.”

“You have given me everything. We’re going to be a family”

They sat on the sofa holding each other tightly.

to be continued...