Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Carol for betaing this for me!
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Spike tried his hardest not to mollycoddle Buffy but he wasn’t that successful. Surprisingly Buffy found she enjoyed it rather than resented it. After years of being a super powered slayer fighting demons, being a leader, and making extremely hard decisions, being pampered and fussed over like an ordinary girl made her feel great.

“I’m going away for a couple of days, pet,” said Spike one day.

Finally the Council had managed to get, through channels no one wanted to refer to, all the documents Spike needed for his now human life, especially a driver’s licence and a full passport, having travelled back from LA on an emergency one, all with the surname Summers.

“Where are you going? said Buffy, astonished at his announcement.

Since becoming human Spike was almost reclusive, spending time either at home or the Council but not venturing too far from these comfort zones.

“Giles just wants me to check something out for him. Nothing to worry your noggin about. Little Bit is going to stay with you, just in case.”

“Spike, I’m only five months pregnant I haven’t even started to waddle yet,” said Buffy, although she could see her shape was really starting to change now, “I don’t need Dawn to stay.”

“You might not need her to but I do. I couldn’t rest if you were alone, so humour me, all right?”

“Okay, I’ll humour you just this once,” she agreed, knowing that he wouldn’t be swayed.

The next day Spike packed a small bag, kissed Buffy, then told her to ring him on his cell phone at least three times a day and that he’d be back late the following evening.

Buffy and Dawn had a great time whist he was away. They stayed up late watching seriously uncool weepy films, eating lots of ice cream and sharing the latest gossip.

When Spike arrived home he was looking very pleased with himself but wouldn’t tell Buffy why, which annoyed her and made her sulky. For some reason he seemed to think that was funny.

“Patience, sweetheart, is a virtue I’m told,” he chuckled, ducking to avoid the cushion she threw at him.

Oooooooo

That weekend Buffy awoke to the sound of Spike doing something in the kitchen. She wandered through to see what was going on and found him packing a picnic hamper with sumptious food.

“Sod it! I wanted to have this finished before you got up,” he said when he saw her.

“Good morning to you too, lover,” smiled Buffy.

“Shit, sorry.” He went to her and kissed her, “Was supposed to be a surprise is all.”

“Well, I am surprised. What are you up to?”

“We’re going for a drive in the countryside, grab a bit of fresh air. Thought now I’ve got me a car, all legitimate-like, we ought to use it. Go get dressed and we’ll head off as soon as you’re ready.”

“A day in the country,” thought Buffy, “I haven’t had a day in the country in like……ever!” as she got ready to go.

They were soon on the way, heading west out of London. Once free of the city roads and on the M4 motorway the traffic thinned out a little. Buffy looked out of the window as the urban sprawl was replaced by rolling hills.

They stopped in the market town of Marlborough, nestling in the Wiltshire downlands. They did the tourist bit, having a look around the antique shops that were dotted about the town. At one point Buffy lost Spike, turning to speak to him and finding him gone. She wasn’t worried, though, as the shop was like a maze and sure enough he soon popped back up at her elbow.

They got back into the car grateful of its warmth as the day, although bright, still had the feel of winter.

“Couldn’t have gone for a picnic in the summer,” thought Buffy.

Spike stopped the car and looked at Buffy expectantly.

“What?” she asked

He didn’t say anything so she looked out to see where they were. He’d pulled up in front of a tiny cottage with red tiles on the roof, the bedroom windows sticking up out of it like a pair of eyes. The front door had a little porch round it and the garden was full of yellow daffodils pushing up through the soil.

“I bet the garden is amazing in the summer,” thought Buffy.

She turned to ask Spike what they were doing there, and who they were visiting, when she saw him angling a set of keys in her direction.

“Shall we go inside?” he said with a mischievous grin.

“Uh, Okay,” replied Buffy still not sure what was going on.

He leapt out of the car, ran round to her side to open the door for her, and held out his hand theatrically for her to take. She took it with a smile - his good mood was infectious.

Once inside Buffy looked round in delight. The room was beautiful - beams on the ceiling, white washed walls, and furnished with well used antiques and comfy looking sofas. An inglenook fireplace dominated one end with a log fire blazing away behind a guard.

Spike led her into the kitchen. It had an old fashioned aga range which provided central heating and hot water, and a kitchen table with four chairs. It was decorated gaily in lemons and blues making it bright and welcoming, the heart of the house.

“You go and look upstairs and I’ll get our gear from the car,” said Spike.

Buffy went up the stairs and found two bedrooms, one much larger than the other, with a big metal framed bed covered with a beautiful lilac patchwork quilt in the larger one. The smaller one was done out as a nursery, a lovely cot to one side of the window with a frieze of animals around the walls. In between the two was a tiny but functional bathroom.

She was stood in the nursery, hand absently stroking her stomach when Spike joined her.

“Do you like it?” he asked gently, watching her carefully.

“It’s gorgeous Spike, but why are we here? Are we staying here on holiday? I haven’t got any clothes or anything.”

“Yes, we’re having a little holiday but only for two days, and yes, you have clothes - I packed a bag when you were asleep. As to the reason why we’re here, this, as long as you want to, is where we’re going to live at least for the next year or so.”

“Oh, Spike!” said Buffy and she promptly burst into tears.

“Don’t cry love, it’s okay. We don’t have to come here. I just thought it’d be…….”

“I love it!” she interrupted, “I love you for finding it too.”

“Oh, thank God for that. I was so sure you’d like it I signed the lease already!”

“Is this?”

“Where I went for those couple of days? Yes, it is. I came up and got the bed linens and everything else we’ll need. Dawnie’s having the London flat. It’s not so far for people to come to stay but thought it’d be nice to be out of London when the baby is born. I asked the agents to pop in and put the heating on and light the log fire so it’d be cosy for us. Come on, let’s go down and eat.”

Spike led her down the stairs and back into the kitchen. She gasped at the sight of the table set with a blue and white checked cloth, the food all laid out ready for them to tuck into.

“You have hidden talents, my perfect partner,” laughed Buffy.

She never failed to be surprised at how domesticated he was; most of the time she’d known him he’d lived in a crypt.

Oooooooooooo

They moved to the cottage as Buffy entered the sixth month of her pregnancy, Giles readily agreeing to the move. Although he had had misgivings about the relationship it was obvious they thought the world of each other and Spike had thrown himself wholeheartedly into his work at the Council. Since the Council wasn’t exactly a conventional employer, they were able to stop work and go to the cottage much earlier in her pregnancy than was normal, the advantage of being the senior slayer and her partner.

Spike kept in touch via the internet with the Council, able to watch the slayers workouts via the web cam and video link, so although not actually there he still played an important part in the training. The rest of the time he spent with Buffy, walking on the downs and generally acting like any other normal young couple. They didn’t have any close neighbours but that suited them both fine.

As time went on and Buffy got larger and larger she contented herself with a waddle around the gardens which were now at their most beautiful, laughing at Spike’s concern if she started to do some weeding. He was really starting to wrap her in cotton wool now her time was near

Spike still went out for his twice daily runs keeping fit as ever. He was running along one warm sunny evening when he suddenly had a feeling he’d better get home as soon as possible, He upped his pace going across a couple of meadows as a short cut. He flung open the front door and saw Buffy, telephone in hand.

“Oh! I was just going to call you,” she said, “you’re back earlier than I thought.”

“Just had a feeling, what’s up?”

“Nothing to worry about, Spike, just think the baby’s ready to make an appearance.”

“Christ!” exclaimed Spike in a panic, “Where’s your bag? I’ll go get it!”

“It’s near your feet, you dope. Just calm down and bring the car around, will you?” she said, smiling at him.

She bent over groaning as another contraction took place.

“Buffy!” said Spike, still dithering at the doorway.

“Just…..get….the ….car!”

He turned and rushed out of the door only to reappear moments later muttering under his breath.

“Key, keys, where’s the bloody keys?”

He found them and rushed to get the car. He grabbed the bag and helped Buffy into the front seat and drove away. Spike was torn between driving like a maniac to get there as fast as possible and driving like a little old lady and being as careful as possible. Fortunately for Buffy he opted for somewhere in between.

He pulled up at the entrance to the hospital and helped Buffy inside, just leaving the car where it was. Once Buffy was safely in the hands of the midwives he dashed outside and moved the car into a proper parking space. Back inside he went to where he’d left Buffy and she’d gone!

“Sodding hell,” he said to himself, luckily a passing nurse gave him directions to where she was.

When he arrived the nurses joked that he was more out of breath than Buffy was. It was true! Having a slayer’s physiology was meaning that the labour was progressing quickly and easily.

Spike sat on the chair near Buffy’s bed and held her hand, looking at her with such devotion and love that the nurse who came to check Buffy’s progress felt a little stab of envy.

‘Wish my husband would look at me like that,’ she thought.

“Gosh, you’re coming along quickly. I’ll just get the team. Your baby’s in a rush to get out,” she told them.

As one particularly painful contraction seized Buffy, Spike found himself regretting holding her hand as it now felt like it was being crushed to dust.

Not very long afterwards Buffy gave a final push and their baby was born. Buffy laid back tired as the midwife cut the cord and checked the baby, who started to cry lustily.

“It’s a girl, a perfect baby girl,” said the midwife, giving Buffy her baby to hold.

Spike sat there transfixed, tears in his eyes at the sight of his beautiful girls. Buffy smiled at him. They hadn’t really discussed names, not wanting to tempt fate until its safe arrival. Now looking at Spike’s face Buffy knew there was only one name their daughter could have.

“Spike, I think I’d like to name her after my mom and the look on your face, too. I’d like to call her Joy.”

“That’s perfect,” said Spike. He’d always liked Joyce, Buffy’s mom. She’d always treated him well and as far as he was concerned the baby was a bundle of joy he never expected to have.

“Time to leave your ladies to get some rest. Come back to see them tomorrow,” said one of the nurses.

“But, I want to…….” started Spike.

“No, they need their sleep. It’ll be morning soon enough - it’s almost midnight,” said the nurse firmly.

Spike looked at Buffy and she nodded slightly to let him know it was okay to leave.

He wandered back to the car in a daze then suddenly remembered he needed to let the gang know. When he reached the car he sat in it, got out his cell phone and made the first of the calls.

Everyone was delighted at the news and demanded photos to be sent via e-mail as soon as possible. As far as anyone knew Buffy was only the second slayer in history to have a child, the first being Nicky Wood in the seventies in New York. She was not someone Spike liked to be reminded of these days as she was the second slayer he’d killed as a vampire.

Spike arrived back at the hospital the next morning to find Buffy in a heated debate with her doctor.

“But I feel fine, doctor. I’ll do much better at home and we’re only twenty minutes away from here anyway.” She noticed Spike’s arrival.

“Spike, tell him I’ll be okay at home.”

“Well, it’s up to the doc, love,” he said as she scowled at him for not taking her side.

In the end they reached a compromise, the doctor allowing her to leave that evening since she’d recovered so well. Spike spent an hour or so with Buffy and Joy, holding the baby awkwardly, afraid of hurting such a tiny thing.

“I’ll be back for you both later,” he said as he stood to leave, “Just want to get everything organised so we don’t need to go anywhere for at least a couple of days.”

As he left Buffy smiled down at her daughter.

“Joy, I know I shouldn’t but the thought of your daddy carrying a basket in a supermarket always makes me want to giggle! Hardly the image of ‘The Big Bad’ he used to cultivate for so long, is it? Think your dad may end up being ‘The Big Softie’!”

Spike stood back and admired his hard work, the cupboards and refrigerator groaning with the amount of groceries he’d bought. On the kitchen table was a little teddy bear for Joy and a bouquet of flowers for Buffy, along with some helium-filled balloons proudly proclaiming ‘It’s a girl’. Satisfied with what he saw he went out to the car to go to collect them.

They soon settled into a routine, their lives revolving around the needs of little Joy, who mercifully was a very happy and easygoing baby. Spike was such a doting dad that Buffy sometimes felt superfluous to requirements except when Joy needed feeding! She didn’t mind, though. She loved watching Spike with Joy.

The weather was perfect too. English summer weather at its best - sunny days and warm evenings. The couple became a regular sight walking together pushing Joy in her stroller, often sitting in the garden of the pub for a drink before walking the half mile or so home.

Spike still kept up his video link sessions with the slayers under the care of the Watchers Council but both he and Buffy felt removed from the life they’d had before moving to the cottage and having Joy. Buffy had been released from the pressure of being The Slayer when Willow used the power of the ancient scythe to make all potentials become slayers proper. She was grateful for it now as she now felt she had a future, something she’d never really believed in before.

to be continued...