BAD, BIG BAD

Spike returned home to find Dru cross at being left behind. He’d stolen a doll from a shop on the way past and Dru soon forgave him. She’d been missing Miss Edith, who’d been left behind in London.

Spike suddenly had an idea.

“Fancy a trip to London, love?” he asked.

“But we’ve only just got here,” said Drusilla.

“Well, I’m going. You can stay here if you like, I won’t be gone long. I’ll hire a private jet and I’ll be back as soon as I can. Least I’ll have a comfy seat this time”

“No, don’t leave me behind. I’ll come,” said Dru quickly.

“Okay then, go tell Merl to get ready. He’s coming too in case I need his skills.”

Money talks and the three of them were soon jetting back to London.

They landed in the small hours of the morning local time. The three of them then went to the Watchers Council’s offices. It was time to see if they needed Merl or not. Spike didn’t have a key but a good bang with his shoulder and the door swung open. He went to walk inside, and stepped easily into the building. He laughed out loud - the idiots hadn’t remembered that since it was technically still his home he could enter at will. He invited Drusilla in and with Merl following they made their way up to the first floor. Spike knew there were no slayers here, being between courses, and he’d seen the entire ‘Scooby gang’ arrive in LA. That left just one person - Carole.

He made his way to her bedroom next to the big dorm used by the slayers. He opened the door and there she was, as he knew she would be - he could smell her. He went over to the bed.

“Carole,” he said softly.

She moved on the bed but didn’t wake.

“Carole, pet,” he repeated, giving her a gentle shake.

“Spike?” she said groggily. She woke up properly when she realised what she’d said.

She sat up, reaching for the bedside lamp.

“You’re back? The others are all in LA.”

“Yes, I’m back.”

Something in his voice made her blood run cold. Her fingers trembled on the light switch. As the light flooded the room, she saw Spike standing next to her. He was smiling a smile that was anything but reassuring, his hair bleached white, and his black leather jacket giving him a menacing air.

“But………” her voice trailed off as she saw Dru and Merl standing in the doorway. “How did you get in?”

“I live here, pet. Seems everyone forgot that. Bit careless, eh?”

As he spoke his features changed. Dru at the doorway also put on her game face. Spike grabbed hold of Carole, but although she didn’t practice as a slayer she’d still been endowed with slayer strength. She pulled free and punched Spike hard enough to knock him off balance. Staggering backwards he laughed and put his hand to his mouth. He saw blood - she’d split his lip. He licked it off his fingers and Dru snarled from the doorway.

“No Dru, don’t need help. Just gonna dance a while, are we Carole?” sneered Spike.

Despite Carole fighting like a wildcat she was soon overpowered by Spike. He dragged her out of the bedroom and tied her hands with the belt from her bathrobe that had been hanging on the back of her door. He threw her down when he got to the telephone in the hall. She sat there dazed.

He picked up the phone and dialled Buffy’s cell phone number, amazing really that he could remember it so clearly, he thought. She picked it up after two rings - it was breakfast time over there.

“Carole? What’s up?” she asked, recognising the number.

“Hello, slayer,” drawled Spike.

“Spike? But you’re here.”

“Well, obviously right now I’m not. Always was a bit slow, pet. Things called aeroplanes, remember? Pretty fast they are.”

“What do you want? How did you get in? Where’s Carole.”

“Steady, sweetheart, one question at a time. What I want is for you to get my message. How did I get in? I live here, you silly bint. You forgot to disinvite me. Mind you, I suppose Xander’s told you that I don’t always need an invite. How’s Helen, by the way? Tasty piece, she is.” He chuckled and it was a horrible mirthless sound, “And as for Carole, she’s right here.”

“What’s the message, Spike? If you hurt her - for God’s sake, she looks after your child.”

“Mm, not sure how that works. Is she still my child? Dunno. Rest assured I’m not going to hurt her.”

He nodded to Dru who got hold of Carole’s arm and snapped her wrist as if it were a twig. Carole screamed.

“No!” Buffy yelled down the phone.

“I’m not going to hurt her. I’m going to kill her.”

Spike put the phone on the table, making sure he didn’t sever the connection, and nodded once more to Dru, who broke Carole’s other arm. The girl’s screams travelled over the line to Buffy. Spike got hold of the girl’s head and with one good twist she was dead, her cries cut off in mid flow.

“See you soon, pet,” said Spike into the handset and he hung up.

Buffy flung her phone at the wall where it smashed and fell to the floor.

“Christ, poor Carole. How could they have left her so vulnerable?” thought Buffy as she ran to find the others.

Spike went down into the room his human self had shared with Buffy. There was something he needed to get. He opened a drawer, rummaged a bit then pulled out the little fleecy hat with ears on it that Joy had worn not long ago.

“Perfect,” he thought, stuffing it into the pocket of his duster.

Ooooooooooooo

They sat stunned, the girls crying for Carole and the men trying their hardest not to.

“What’s his game?” asked Xander.

“I think that’s exactly what it is, a game,” replied Giles, “He’s doing these things to rattle us.”

“Well consider me rattled,” said Willow, “God, Giles, he killed Carole. He loved Carole.”

“Spike’s gone. The demon has him all,” said Buffy, “If even a bit of Spike was left in him he couldn’t have done that.”

“So what do we do now?” asked Dawn.

“I kill him,” said Buffy coldly.

“But we’ve got everything we need for the spell to restore him,” said Willow, “We can’t leave Spike’s soul just in limbo, ripped out by the demon. He’s a good man, Buffy.”

Buffy turned and looked at all her friends gathered before her. Her heart ached with the loss of Spike but she was terrified he’d hurt someone else if she should selfishly say she wanted him back.

“I think we need to vote. What ever the majority decides, we do - no question. Okay?”

A chorus of okays followed.

She looked at Willow, “So what do we do? Save him or kill him?”

“I vote save, I know we can do it.”

“Xander?”

“Sorry, Buff, I say kill.”

“Helen?”

“Save.”

Xander looked at her, “How can you say that after what he did to you?”

“That’s my point though, Xander. It wasn’t Spike, was it?”

“Giles?” asked Buffy.

“Kill him. It’s too risky to try to save him.”

“Andrew?”

“Save. I know he said for us to kill him if he got turned but that just proves he should be saved.”

“Dawn?”

“Save,” she said quietly.

Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. She didn’t have to cast a vote, the majority decision already made to save him.

“I vote save,” she said “but if things go wrong I’ll kill him.

They all nodded. Now they just had to figure out exactly what they needed to do.

To be continued…………..