CHANGING SIDES

Spike, Dru and Merl arrived back at the house in LA. They all went to bed not caring what time it was. Spike had given Merl Joy’s cap and asked him if he could put it to good use.

Merl sat on his bed holding the cap. He could use it numerous ways and all but one of them would have terrible consequences. The one that wouldn’t have was the easiest – return it to its owner quickly.

Merl wasn’t an evil man and perhaps wasn’t a good one, but he had his rules and one of those was not hurting humans. When he’d agreed to Johnny’s scheme involving Spike he hadn’t realised he wasn’t already a vampire. Johnny had told him he’d discovered that Spike’s blood could be enchanted at the solstice to great effect. He’d neglected to tell him that they’d be turning him at the same time. He’d been unable to back out without fearing for his life and so had gone along with it.

He had no problem with vampires taking each other or demons on but had been badly shaken by the death of the girl in London. Okay, so she may have had slayer blood coursing through her veins, but that didn’t make any difference to Merl. Her death didn’t benefit the world like one less vampire did - her death had left a hole.

He’d never come across evil like Spike before, the way he rejoiced in it. He’d heard the argument Spike and Dru had had after Dru had been hit by the crossbow’s bolt. He knew then that Spike was purely out for himself and nothing else. Although he lusted for Drusilla, Merl knew Spike wouldn’t hesitate to sacrifice her to save himself.

There was another reason Merl wasn’t a happy man - he’d fallen in love with Drusilla at first sight. In many ways she was vulnerable because of her strange mentality and Merl longed to keep her safe. He hated the way Spike was encouraging her to become ever more violent.

He stood up, closed his eyes and thought of where he wanted to be. When he opened his eyes a second later he stood just inside the door of Spike and Drusilla’s bedroom. His ability to teleport was something he made sure none of the demons he’d worked for knew he could do as it was his ultimate ‘get out’ clause.

He peered at the two vampires who were lying naked on the bed. The covers were in disarray and their clothes discarded all over the room, ripped off in their haste. Mel’s jaw clenched at the sight. She should be in his arms, not Spike’s. The pair had drunk just about every drop of alcohol the aircraft had on board but he wanted to make sure they wouldn’t wake up before he returned and realise he was missing. Muttering a phrase he put his hands together and a soft light left them and floated over the couple. It settled on them gossamer light, only Spike moved slightly at its touch. Merl frowned a bit at that, remembering how quickly Spike had recovered from the spell he’d cast when he’d first been released from the metal casket. He made a mental note to make sure he was as quick as possible. The spell should last four hours but he’d better be back well before that just in case.

This time he opened the door and left the room in a conventional fashion, not needing to worry about them hearing the door opening. He walked back to his room and picked up Joy’s hat. He held it in his hands, closed his eyes and thought about it needing to be reunited with its owner. He found himself landing heavily on his butt on a damp lawn outside a fairly large house, which was not exactly the entrance he had intended to make. He’d had no problem surpassing the protection spells at Xander’s house but these were a different kettle of fish altogether. The hairs on the back of his neck were standing on end in response to the power that the shield was emitting.

Okay, Plan B. He’d have to knock. He raised his hands together and did the sorcerer’s version of knocking, basically throwing a ball of blue light at the shield. It bounced off with a loud bang. Merl stood patiently on the lawn.

“What the hell was that?” shouted Xander.

“Something just hit the barrier, but don’t worry, it didn’t get through,” replied Willow.

“There’s some one standing on the lawn,” observed Helen.

Buffy ran to the window to see a very tall man cloak, flapping around him, standing calmly on the lawn.

“This must be that descendant of Merlin that Spike was bragging about,” said Xander.

“Yes, but what’s he doing here?” said Giles, “He doesn’t look like he’s trying very hard to get in.”

“He’s not trying at all,” said Willow, “I think the noise was him knocking. With the power he must have he’s just done the equivalent of rap on the door.”

“Oay, so what does he want?” said Buffy.

“Well, since he’s not coming at us guns blazing, as it were,” said Giles, “Do you think he wants to talk?”

“Willow, open a doorway. I’ll go see what he wants,” said Buffy.

“I’m coming with,” replied Willow, “just in case he starts with the magicks.”

Buffy opened her mouth to protest but stopped. Willow had her ‘resolve’ face on. Buffy knew that look and knew she wouldn’t be swayed.

The girls walked to the front door of the house and stepped out of it. The barrier Willow had raised started about ten feet away from the house. She opened a door in it, they stepped through, and she closed it tightly behind them. They walked across the lawn towards where Merl was standing. Buffy held an axe in her hand just in case.

“Well?” she said, stopping about six feet away from him.

Merl smiled and looked at Willow.

“May I congratulate you on your barrier. There are very few that I can’t bypass when I teleport.

“You tried to get into my house? You son of a bitch,” said Buffy, taking a step closer.

Willow put a hand on her friend, restraining her and calming her down at the same time.

“Don’t be alarmed,” said Merl as evenly as possible, “I mean you no harm.”

“Tell that to Xander and Helen,” snapped Buffy, “Disarming their protection spells sure didn’t do them any good”

Merl winced. Spike hadn’t told him of his intentions in the house but knew it couldn’t have been pretty when he saw Spike’s blood-stained clothes on his return.

“I know,” he said, “That’s why I’m here. Spike must be stopped.”

“Oh yeah, and we just believe you’re telling the truth? It’s the oldest trick in the book, pretending to change sides then taking us all from within,” said Buffy bluntly.

“I’ve brought something that I hope will convince you I’m telling the truth,” said Merl. He started to reach into his pocket.

“Slowly,” cautioned Buffy, raising the axe. Willow tensed beside her, spell at the ready just in case.

He moved his hand cautiously and pulled out Joy’s cap by one of its ears. Buffy gave a gasp when she saw it.

“Spike took this when he was in London. He wants me to use it to connect with the child. I’m not sure what he intends me to do but I’m certain it won’t be good. I have done many things that are deemed bad but never, until I had the misfortune to be near Spike, have I ever harmed a human with my powers. What he did to the girl in London sickened me. I will not harm an innocent child.”

Willow and Buffy stared at him. He seemed sincere. Buffy stepped forward and took the hat from his grasp. She gave it to Willow.

“Could it be used like he says?” she asked.

“Oh yes,” said Willow, “A person’s possessions can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.”

“So what do you want? You’re doing this, what? From the goodness of your heart?” said Buffy.

“I just want out,” said Merl, “and I want Drusilla to come with me.”

“Why should I let her do that? I know she hurt Carole before Spike killed her.”

“You’ll do it because you have no intention of killing Spike so why would you kill Drusilla?”

“Because……because……it’s different,” said Buffy, astonished that the sorcerer apparently knew of her plans.

“It’s not different at all,” said Merl, “Is it because Spike was once human? So was Drusilla. Is it because you love him? I love Drusilla. I can help you but I won’t if you don’t give me your word that Dru will be unharmed.”

Willow looked at Buffy.

“The spell will be tricky. It has to be done in stages. It may take a week before it’s complete and getting him where we want him in the first place will be difficult. We could use all the help we can get.”

Buffy looked at Merl.

“Okay, agreed. You have my word.”

“So may I come inside to discuss our plans or must we stand on the grass all day?”

Buffy hesitated.

“You can come in if you agree to have your hands tied down,” said Willow, adding to Buffy, “The way he works his magic is by joining his hands together.”

Merl nodded.

Willow said a few words and a coil of rope appeared in her hands. She went to Merl and tied him tightly, hands by his sides. The three of them walked back towards the house.

“You double cross me and I’ll chop off one of your hands,” said Buffy, giving the axe she was holding a little waggle.

Merl visibly paled and she knew her threat had been taken seriously.

They all gathered in the kitchen, apart from Dawn and Joy. Buffy didn’t want the sorcerer to lay eyes on her child.

“Are you really descended from Merlin?” blurted Andrew as they walked into the room.

“I am,” said Merl, in his wisest tone. “I’m also Merlin but I prefer Merl.”

“Shut up, Andrew,” said Buffy, “So what’s the plan?”

To be continued…….