Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Carol for her beta work on this fic! :)
DANGEROUS

By Mabel Marsters

Disclaimer: Joss Whedon owes the Buffyverse, I own a mental Jack Russell terrier!!

Chapter 12

IT HAS TO BE BLOOD

Merl teleported back to the house, putting himself outside of Spike and Dru’s room and he listened for a moment before teleporting inside. He was startled to see Spike was half sitting up on the bed, groggily pulling at the covers. God, he was strong! Merl quickly lifted the veil of sleep and had teleported out of there and back into his own room before it had disappeared completely.

Spike sat up and shook his head.

“Must have had more to drink than I thought I had,” he said to himself as he climbed off the bed, wobbling a little as he did so. He found his jeans and pulled them on. Dru’s hand reached for him.

“Where are you going? Stay with me.” she said seductively, writhing on the bed.

Spike looked down at her. For a moment he was tempted then he shrugged off her hand.

“Quit it, Dru,” he said sharply. “Got things to do.”

She started to wail softly. The ‘old’ vampire Spike would have immediately gone to soothe her, hating to see her distress, but he didn’t even glance back as he strode out of the door, slamming it shut.

Spike stalked about downstairs. He had to take out the slayer. He’d never be free of his past while she still breathed, and the kid? If he could get his hands on it it’d be the best bait to get hold of Buffy with and he was pretty sure a slayer’s baby would be worth something to someone. Perhaps he’d raise her and turn her when she got to sixteen.

“Mm,” he thought, “That might be sweet.”

“Merl!” he yelled up the stairs, “Get your arse down here.”

The sorcerer flinched as he heard Spike’s voice.

“I hope this works,” he thought, “Otherwise I’m dead.”

As Merl opened his door he saw Drusilla coming along the hall. He could see she’d been crying - the bruises Spike had left on her from the night’s passion showing dark on the creamy skin of her arms.

“Are you alright?” he asked when she got near.

“Daddy’s in a mood,” she said, “He didn’t want me. Would you have wanted me?” She looked up at Merl, dark eyes peering through her long lashes.

“I’d always want you, Drusilla,” said Merl, voice hoarse with desire.

She giggled and kissed his cheek. It took all of Merl’s resolve not to just grab her and teleport the pair of them out of there, but he’d given his word to the slayer and he knew Spike would be ruthless in hunting them down.

“Merl! Are you bleeding coming?” Spike’s voice travelled up the stairs to them.

Merl girded his loins and went down to see what Spike wanted, as if he couldn’t guess. Spike was pacing about in the sitting room when Merl arrived, Dru walking in behind him.

“Dru, what are you doing here? I need to talk to Merl alone.”

Without waiting for a reply he marched over, grabbed her by her hair and literally threw her out of the door.

“Get back up to the sodding bedroom and stay there. I’m busy.” He slammed the door, leaving her sprawling on the floor crying.

“Pixies don’t like this daddy at all,” she whispered, crying, as she went back up to their room, feeling for the first time, afraid of Spike.

“Why did I have to give my word to them?” thought Merl. Once a sorcerer has given his word to a human he can’t take it back, he must see it through. “I should have just killed him.”

“Where’s the hat?” demanded Spike.

“I burnt it,” said Merl.

“You did what?” shouted Spike.

“For the spell,” said Merl quickly, “I needed its ashes for the spell. It’s more potent that way.”

“Oh? Okay then.” Spike had never been very good at the whole magic thing.

“So what do you want me to do for you, Spike?” asked Merl.

“I want that kid and I want the slayer to come after it so I can kill her,” said Spike bluntly. “So I need you to get me into a position to do that.”

“Mm,” pondered Merl, “That witch of hers has got some powerful protection around the house. It’ll take me a day to prepare for it, so I can work out how to get you in and then you both out.”

“You’ve got half a day or else.” Spike showed his vampire features, not needing to vocalise what he meant. “Oh yeah, one other thing you can do for me. Do something to keep Dru in the bedroom. I can’t have her following me about and putting a spanner in the works.”

“No problem,” said Merl, relieved as it meant he could keep her safe.

Spike picked up his coat and went outside, too restless to stay in, enjoying the fact that he was no longer bound to the shadows as a vampire. Yeah, life was pretty good, and would be even better when he killed the slayer. He’d enjoy seeing the look on her face. It had to be said that slayer blood was the sweetest he’d ever tasted. His mouth practically watered at the thought.

Ooooooooooooo

Merlin teleported to the safe house as soon as Spike left.

“It’ll be late this afternoon. Make sure you have everything ready. You can’t afford any slip ups and he’s stronger than any vampire I’ve ever seen, so be careful! If he gets his hands on the baby……..”He didn’t need to finish his sentence, and with that he left.

The gang all congregated in the kitchen. Willow and Dawn looked at each other nervously. It was their research that would be put to the test in the efforts to make Spike human again, complete with soul.

Buffy didn’t miss the look that passed between them.

“What gives?” she asked.

“Nothing, it’s just we still haven’t got one of the ingredients. Well we kinda have and kinda haven’t,” stuttered Willow.

“Meaning?” said Buffy, raising her eyebrows.

Willow took a deep breath and said in a rush.

“SpikehastodrinkJoy’sblood.”

“What? Say again a bit slower.”

“Spike has to drink Joy’s blood.”

“He has to what?” said Buffy, horrified, “And what do I do, just let him bite on her and hope he stops in time?”

“Obviously not,” said Willow, “but he has to drink some to give his soul a beacon to latch onto, to find its way back to him. The rest of the stuff is banishing the demon but unless his soul, his very essence, returns…” she stopped.

“He’s just a living breathing empty shell,” finished Dawn, “Not vampire, Spike, not human Spike, not Spike at all.”

“Hang on,” said Xander, “Let me get this right. If Spike doesn’t drink Joy’s blood he ends up what? A vegetable?”

“Basically…..yes. The body would be able to eat, drink and walk about but no one would be home. Spike’s soul would still be wherever it is now. The blood is the key.”

“It always has to be blood,” said Xander, “Wouldn’t it just be easier to stake the guy and have done with it.”

“We decided we’d give it a try,” said Helen softly. She turned to Buffy and said, “Willow’s told me Spike doesn’t need to have much blood from Joy and certainly it doesn’t need to be taken from her by him. I can draw a little blood, Buffy. It won’t harm Joy at all.”

“I’ll do a spell so she’s asleep and won’t know a thing,” added Willow.

Buffy just nodded, tears in her eyes. Was nothing ever going to be easy in her life?

“Now,” said Willow, gently, “we need to do it now.”

“Okay.”

The three women went into the sitting room where Andrew was playing with Joy and some wooden building blocks. Joy ran over to Buffy as soon as she saw her. Buffy scooped her daughter up into her arms and kissed her, once more noticing that the blue of her eyes was an exact match for the father’s.

She nodded to Willow, who put her hand on Joy’s head, muttered a few words and with a sigh, Joy fell asleep. Helen got out the syringe, needle and two small vials and went to draw the blood, inserting the needle into the vein expertly. She drew back on the syringe and withdrew 10mls of blood, double the amount needed of the spell, just in case. She put half the blood into each of the vials that contained a substance to prevent it from clotting. It was a tiny amount - just two teaspoonfuls. Another few words from Willow and it was all over, Joy wriggling to get down and play with Andrew.

Now they just had to hope Spike would fall for their subterfuge.

Ooooooooooo

Spike wandered the streets. He’d had a few drinks in a very rough back street bar and had managed to provoke a nice bar room brawl that had spilled out into the alley. It’d been great until the cops showed up on the scene. He’d given them the slip easily. He put his hand up to his left eye, a bruise starting to form, and chuckled as he thought of the face of the guy who’d hit him when he’d vamped up and hit him clean across the alley. Nothing like a good bit of violence to put you in the mood for…..well…..another good bit of violence.

He made his way back to the house, feeling horny as hell and went straight up to the bedroom. A foot from the door he hit an invisible barrier, knocking him backwards a couple of steps.

“What the……?” Then he remembered he’d told Merl to shut Dru in. “Merl!” he yelled.

Merl looked out of his room to see Spike standing at the door to the bedroom, no mistaking his intent.

“Glad you’re back. It’s time to go,” he said.

“Oh?” said Spike. He looked at the bedroom door for a moment. “Great. Let’s get going,” he added. Dru could wait.

“Thank God,” thought Merl. He really couldn’t bear to hear another of their marathon sex sessions.

He followed Spike downstairs.

“So what do you know?” asked Spike.

“I heard them talking. Some of them are going to the Watcher’s council building. They’re going to stay there, not wanting everyone in one place. They’re afraid of you.”

“Damn right they’re afraid,” said Spike. The thought that he’d gotten them all worried cheered him immensely. “Who’s going there?”

“The slayer, the child, Dawn, and Andrew are moving to the Council.”

“What about the witch. Isn’t she going with them?” asked Spike. It seemed odd for Buffy not to want her near her.

Merl gulped a bit. This was the bit he had to convince Spike about.

“She’s staying at the house as she keeps having to renew the protective barrier around it and can’t do it remotely.” He held his breath. Would Spike fall for it?

“Oh, right,” said Spike, “Be easier without her around.”

“Phew,” sighed Merl, "he fell for it". Aloud he said “ We’d better get into position - they’ll be arriving there soon.”

Spike grabbed his coat and the pair headed out to their car.

To be continued……….