FIRST CATCH YOUR VAMPIRE

“Are you sure this is working?” asked Buffy. She looked down at the doll in her arms and it looked like, well, a doll in her arms. She looked at Willow and Willow looked just like Willow.

“No, it definitely is,” said Dawn, “It’s creepy.”

“Well, how come she still looks like Willow to me and the doll looks like a doll?” asked Buffy.

“It’s because you’re involved in the glamour. It’s only people not within it that can see its effect,” said Willow.

“Trust me, Buffy, Willow looks exactly like me and the doll you’re holding really does seem to be Joy,” said Dawn.

Helen stood there amazed. She’d never witnessed anything like it. Her life had gotten very odd these past couple of years.

Willow had borrowed some of Dawn’s clothes, not that she needed them for the spell, just to add Dawn’s scent into the mix to fool Spike’s vampire sense of smell. She did the same with the doll, which was dressed in Joy’s clothes.

“Ready then?” asked Buffy. She got nods in reply and they went out to the car.

They drove round to the Council building, Andrew parking the car a few yards from the door as arranged. He and Dawn, well, Willow, got out and cautiously made their way to the door, looking around as they did so. They gestured to Buffy and she got out of the car, holding baby ‘Joy’ tightly. Even though she was expecting it she was still startled when Spike suddenly appeared in front of her.

“Hello, love.” He grinned at her. “How’ve you been?”

Andrew leapt at Spike from the doorway. Spike adjusted his stance, lashed out with his left fist and sent him sprawling to the floor. He lay still.

Spike turned back to Buffy and their eyes met. Buffy realised exactly what Helen had meant when she’d said she’d seen nothing of Spike in them - his gaze was icy cold.

He sniffed the air.

“Hang on a minute, something’s not right. Merl?” he said.

To his amazement Buffy suddenly swung the baby around by her legs and hit him across the side of his face with her, making him stagger backwards. Buffy followed it with a vicious kick to his stomach, all her anger and frustration of the past days put in to it. He doubled over.

“Now,” cried Buffy.

Willow put her spell into action. Sparks flew from her fingers and Spike collapsed on to the sidewalk unconscious.

“Quickly! Get him where you want him. He’ll come around before you know it. He shakes off magic quicker than most,” said Merl as he stepped in to help.

Buffy glanced at Andrew, who was just starting to rise.

“Come on then,” she said.

They half carried, half dragged Spike down into the cavernous depths of the Council, putting him into one of the cells there. On Merl’s advice they chose one that was completely empty, with padded walls and floor. The front wall of the cell was made of magically reinforced glass. It bent slightly if you leant on against it but was impossible to break. It meant whoever was in the cell was in plain sight all the time and could do themselves no harm. There was a very basic toilet - a hole in the floor covered by a padded hinged lid, to be precise - and nothing else.

They put Spike in the cell, quickly stripping him of his clothes and putting him in a pair of sweatpants and t-shirt. It was important that nothing metallic was in the cell so his jeans, boots, etc had to go. They’d barely finished as he started groaning and trying to stand up. They hurried out and locked the cell both mechanically and magically.

“Here.” Merl handed Willow a small box which was so light it felt empty. “If things don’t go as planned, use this.”

“What is it?” she asked.

“You don’t need to know. You might not need it, but you will know when to use it if you have to,” he answered cryptically.

He turned to Buffy.

“Good luck. I hope it works out. He must have been a good man to generate such devotion to restoring him. It won’t be easy for him or for you watching but stay strong and no matter what do not go into the cell until it is completely over.”

“Thank you, Merl,” said Buffy.

He teleported away just as Andrew appeared rubbing his face.

“What did you do that for?” asked Buffy, “It wasn’t part of the plan.”

“Just thought it’d look more convincing if I did,” he replied.

A roar from inside the cell made them all jump and turn quickly around. Spike was on his feet in full vampire mode, fangs bared. He charged at the glass with such ferocity and speed they all took an involuntary step back. They needn’t have worried - the glass just bounced him back. He saw Willow standing there, the glamour having worn off.

“You! I knew I could smell something wrong.”

He charged at the glass again with the same result, bellowing in frustration and rage. They decided to leave him to it for a little while. The first part of the restoration spell couldn’t be cast until the moon had risen.

Oooooooooo

Merl teleported back to the house and disarmed the barrier holding Drusilla in the bedroom.

“Has naughty daddy gone away?” she asked.

“He has,” said Merl, “but I’ll look after you.”

He went over and took her hand.

“I want to leave here. Will you come with me?”

Drusilla looked at him. She might be quite mad but she wasn’t stupid. She could see the devotion in his eyes, something that had been lacking in Spike’s, and happily agreed to go with him. She always had been pretty fickle.

To be continued………