TOUCHED

Andrew put on his smartest suit and picked out a colourful tie. Tonight he was going out to the West End to see a play he’d wanted to see for ages. He’d bought the tickets so long beforehand that he couldn’t believe the day had finally arrived. It had some seriously top flight actors in it and he couldn’t wait.

He was going alone as the first available day he’d been able to get coincided with the scheduled night for field manoeuvres for the slayers. He hadn’t realised this when he’d booked them. Giles was supposed to be going with him but since all hands were usually called to be on patrol for the night he’d had to cancel but he generously allowed Andrew to go as he knew how much it meant to him. Let’s face it, the guy wasn’t much use in the field. Andrew had sold the other ticket on ebay for an exorbitant amount.

“See you later.” he called as he left, passing the assembled slayers in the hallway.

Oooooooooooo

The ten girls stood there apprehensive and excited at the same time, each holding a wooden stake. Buffy, Spike, Willow and Giles stood in front of them. Dawn was with Carole on the top floor looking after Joy. She was on vacation from university and tended to spend her evenings with the others once her friends had packed up and gone to their homes for the holidays. Buffy, trying to ensure her sister led as normal a life as possible, had refused to let her come on patrol.

“Right, girls,” said Spike, “You’ll need your wits about you. So don’t want you yammering away as we go along.”

He glared, with little effect, at the two girls whispering at the back. They just giggled and, after a brief pause, carried on. He turned and looked at Buffy who just smiled at his frustration, knowing at times like these he missed being able to ‘vamp’ up to make them take notice. He was a total contradiction in terms - hating his old powers or missing them a bit depending on the situation. The trouble with Spike was that he was so content these days that his once legendary temper now rarely showed itself.

Suddenly with a roar he flung the axe he was holding over the girls’ heads and it embedded itself in the wall.

Silence.

“Sorry about the panelling, Giles.” said Spike as he went to retrieve it, the girls parting like the Red Sea as he walked through. He wrenched it out and stomped back.

“This exercise is not a game, people,” he said, the words having all the more effect for being spoken softly. “This is real. It’ll be the first time any of you have encountered a vampire and no matter how many times we emphasise its strength, determination, ruthlessness and aggressiveness, you won’t be able to imagine how truly terrifying a vampire can be.”

A hand went up at the back.

“Yes?”

“If they’re so bad how come we only get stakes? Why not axes or swords? Surely it’s as easy to cut off its head as to find its heart with a stake?”

“Good point,” Spike nodded. “Thing is the stake is easier to conceal. You can have one on you at all times. It must be your weapon of choice. An axe can be used to chop you into little bitty pieces as easily as it can be used to chop of a vampire’s head. A stake, unless it gets really lucky, will probably only wound you.”

He looked at the serious faces of the girls and was glad his message had gotten through.

“All a vampire wants to do is hunt, kill, feed and survive. So let’s make sure none of you are eaten tonight, okay?”

“Is that what you were like?” a short, slightly dumpy girl standing near the front spoke out.

Spike’s face clouded over. After a pause he said quietly, “I was one of the worst.” He turned abruptly and went towards the door.

“Come on then, let’s go,” said Buffy, stroking her hand on Spike’s arm as he passed.

All of them went out of the building and headed off to find the unsavoury back streets that were the usual haunts of vampires.

Ooooooooooo

Andrew was so excited he fidgeted from foot to foot as he queued to get into the theatre. The seats he’d purchased were the best in the house, offering the perfect view of the stage. The evening was effectively costing him nothing as the profit he’d made on the ebay sale had more than paid for his ticket too. He wondered what the person he’d be sitting next to would be like.

At last he was inside. He had a drink in the bar and then went to find his seat. The seat he’d sold was empty then, just as the final call for people to take to their seats was being given, a tall dark haired man appeared. He was impeccably dressed. He made his way to the seat and as he settled in it he turned to Andrew.

“You must be Andrew. Can I once again thank you for selling the ticket? It’s sold out for weeks and despite having lots of contacts I really thought I was going to miss it.”

He offered Andrew a hand to shake. Andrew took it and thought how cold it felt until he realised that the man was wearing leather gloves still cold from the December night.

“Johnny Ravenscroft,” he said.

Andrew already knew it from posting the ticket. What he didn’t know was that Johnny had been trying to find a way to get to know Andrew for several weeks, hacking into his personal computer and finding the ticket for sale, which gave him the perfect opportunity. He’d put a massive maximum bid in to make sure the ticket came to him. The lights dimmed and the play began.

Ooooooooooooo

After the play Andrew and Johnny chatted about it amiably and headed to the bar where they had a drink and discussed plays they’d both like to see. When Andrew mentioned a particular play Johnny said,

“I don’t know whether you’d be interested or not but I’ve got a couple of tickets to see that next week. My girlfriend was supposed to be coming with me but she can’t make it now. Would you like it? We could perhaps meet for a meal first? I hate going to the theatre alone. It’s much more fun if you can talk to someone about it. Just give me face value. What do you think?”

“Well….er…wouldn’t you get more selling it on ebay?” said Andrew, feeling guilty that he’d made so much out of his new friend yet he was still being offered something like that.

“Probably,” agreed Johnny with a smile, “But to be honest, Andrew, money’s not an issue and I wouldn’t be bothered to sell it. Come on - say you will, it’ll be fun.”

“Okay then,” agreed Andrew, “Thanks.” He thought about how nice it was to meet someone new, someone normal, who was not included in his life with the Watchers Council.

“That’s great.” said Johnny and he told Andrew the name of the restaurant to meet him at and what time. “See you then.”

Ooooooooooo

Andrew arrived home just as everybody else was too. The girls all seemed to be talking at once.

“Did you see the way I dusted that vamp?”

“Yeah cool!”

“Their faces when they realised we weren’t helpless girls.”

“Spike was amazing! Did you see how he caught that one when it was going for Julie?”

The members of the ‘Scooby Gang’ smiled at their excitement; it had been a good exercise. All the girls had managed to dust at least one vamp each without too much assistance from the others and, apart from a few bruises, none had been hurt.

The slayers headed for their rooms and the others went up to the top floor flat to join Dawn, Carole and Joy. Carole got up to leave as they arrived.

“I’d better get down there and make sure they settle down okay. They’re always totally hyper after their first slay.”

None of the others envied her the task.

Buffy walked over to the little travel cot that held her daughter. Joy was fast asleep. Buffy dropped a kiss on her baby’s cheek.

They all had a nightcap, chatting about the evening they’d had. Andrew told them how well he’d gotten on with Johnny and that he’d be going to see another play with him next week. Spike raised an eyebrow at Willow as Andrew told them this and she had to stifle a giggle. It looked like Andrew had found someone other than Spike to hero worship!

Ooooooooooooo

Johnny arrived back at his house to be greeted by Miss Edith flying through the air and hitting him on his arm. Snarling, his face taking on its demonic features, he turned around to find Drusilla standing halfway up the stairs.

“You’ve been so long! I wanted to come!” she cried.

Johnny leapt up the stairs to her.

“I told you, Drusilla, that I had to go alone – that it was important.” He took her into his arms, gently nipping her with his teeth.

“Aren’t I important too? I want to go out! I want to see the stars!”

“And go out we shall!” replied Johnny with a grin, “Come on!” he grabbed her hand and pulled her down the stairs.

She screamed with laughter and together they went out of the house and into the park opposite. They walked along, Drusilla giggling and spinning round like a little girl, rejoicing at being outside. The only thing Drusilla disliked about her relationship with Johnny was that he preferred her to keep indoors as much as possible. He brought her lots of presents including several young men for her to feast on so she wasn’t neglected at all but she did love to be outside. Their attention was caught by a young couple walking slowly along, not far in front of them. Dru looked at Johnny.

“Can I, Johnny? I want to slash and bash!”

“Go and have your fun,” said Johnny.

He’d been delighted at how easy it had been to cultivate his relationship with Andrew and was happy to let Drusilla have some fun. It had been a long time in the planning and keeping Dru under wraps hadn’t been easy but soon the time would be ripe for her to really have some fun. Dru hurried over to the couple.

“Can you help me?” she asked.

“Are you lost?” asked the girl as they turned towards her.

“I’m a lost soul,” giggled Drusilla as she vamped her features.

They recoiled from her and went to run but she was too fast. She broke the girl’s neck without breaking stride and caught the boy before his girlfriend’s body had hit the ground. She pulled him towards her and sank her teeth into his neck.

Johnny caught up with her and helped himself to the girl. Afterwards he contacted his two flunkies to make sure the bodies, if they were ever found, would be far away from his area.

Later she and Johnny were going to bed just as dawn was breaking. Drusilla was helping him undress when she suddenly put her hand to her head and started to weave backwards and forwards, a keening noise coming from her lips.

“What’s wrong?” asked Johnny.

“Ooh ooh, the pixies are singing. They’re saying my William is near! But he’s dead! Why are they lying to me?” she wailed.

Johnny wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight and comforting her.

“The pixies are bad, Princess. Don’t listen to them.”

He kissed her sensuously but his mind was racing, how could she know about Spike? He’d only been near to Andrew yet Dru had picked up on it. He’d always thought she was just a bit ‘touched’ with no real powers, but now he realised he’d have to be very careful over the next few weeks.

His distraction worked. Dru melted into his arms and they fell on the four poster with glee.

To be continued…………..