RELEASE THE DEVIL

Willow sat at the table, her eyes aching from all the reading she’d done over the past twenty four hours. She glanced at Dawn, who was at the computer. Buffy had fallen asleep, head on the pile of books in front of her. Willow thought about trying to move her to get her to go to bed, but she knew that once she woke she’d refuse to go so she just left her where she was.

“Hey Willow,” said Dawn softly, mindful of her sleeping sister. “Come and have a look at this.”

“Got something?”

“I don’t know, maybe?” said Dawn.

Willow went over to the computer and read what Dawn had found in the archives. As she read it her pulse quickened.

“Well done, Dawnie! I think you’ve found what we needed. I’ve just got to get some ingredients together. Some will be hard to get but not impossible.”

“Only one problem then,” said Dawn.

“Yes,” agreed Willow, “We still need to find Spike first.”

Ooooooooooo

The drug took three days before its effects finally wore off. Spike was left barely able to stand, wrists and ankles rubbed raw by his struggles.

Johnny came down into the basement. He looked at Spike, seeing his eyes focus on his own. But Spike was too exhausted to bring forth his vampire features. He just stood there, head hung low.

Johnny was carrying a mug of blood which he then held at Spike’s lips, watching as he drank it all. He said something Johnny didn’t catch.

“What was that?”

“More,” repeated Spike. He hadn’t eaten for three days - a mugful would be barely enough to sustain him.

“I’ll think about it” laughed Johnny. This was much better.

Ooooooooooooo

Later Drusilla sneaked down to see Spike, standing on the bottom step.

“Spike?”

He looked up.

“Dru.”

“Have the monsters gone?” she asked.

“The monsters?” asked Spike, then realised she must have seen him tripping, “Yeah love, they’re all gone.”

She went over and kissed him.

“I came with the keys yesterday, but I couldn’t get near you for the monsters,” she said.

Spike knew in his weakened state he couldn’t take Johnny on. He needed to get his strength back.

“Can you get me some blood, pet? But don’t let Johnny know you’re getting it. I need to get strong then we’ll get out of here.”

“Very well, I’ll get my pretty Spike some.” She kissed him again and left.

She didn’t return for a long time and when she did she had several bags of human blood, obviously stolen from a hospital. She held them for Spike to drink from, his fangs neatly piercing a hole for him to suck it out of. He emptied three before he was sated. She hid the others behind an old set of drawers in the far corner. Spike felt stronger already.

“Tomorrow,” he said, “Bring the keys tomorrow.”

Drusilla nodded then went back upstairs, leaving Spike alone once more.

Ooooooooooooo

The next morning Johnny appeared again with one small mug of blood. Spike made sure Johnny thought he was still half out of it with the after effects of the drug and the lack of blood. He drank the blood, artistically allowing some to dribble down his chin as if too weak to swallow properly. Johnny chuckled and slapped Spike lightly across his face as he left. Behind him Spike vamped up but made sure no growl escaped from his lips. God, he’d have fun getting hold of him.

That night Dru crept down to him and unlocked his wrists and ankles. Spike held her to him for a moment before going behind the drawers to finish off the rest of the blood.

“Ready, petal?” he asked.

“Ooh yes,” said Dru, excited at the thought of Spike taking on Johnny.

They sneaked up the steps and out of the basement.

Where’s Mick?” asked Spike, needing Dru’s knowledge of the house.

She took him by the hand and led him upstairs, stopping outside of a door. Spike looked around, needing a weapon. On the landing near them there was a small table with an ornament of a cavalryman on it. Spike quietly took it off and placed it on the floor then broke off one of the table’s legs, pausing after the sharp snap it made sounded loud in the night. Nothing in the house stirred. He opened the door and, doubled over, he went noiselessly over to the bed.

Mick was asleep, laid on his stomach - an easy target. Spike vamped up his features, summoning the extra strength that came with it and rammed the wooden table leg into the vampire’s back with all his might. Mick didn’t even wake up before he exploded into dust. Spike left the room, closing the door behind him. Drusilla was waiting just outside.

“Johnny?” he said. She pointed to the door at the end of the landing.

Spike once more sneaked up and opened the door. Johnny moved slightly in his sleep, turning onto his side. Spike reached the bed and in one fluid movement he punched Johnny at the side of his head rendering him unconscious. He lifted him up and carried him over his shoulder, out of the door, along the landing and down the stairs, then into the basement. He took great delight in chaining him up where not long before he’d been fastened himself.

Back up the stairs for the tricky one, the sorcerer Merl. Again Dru indicated where he slept. Spike had taken some rope with him that he’d found in the cellar. He had to keep Merl’s hands apart - his power lay in him joining them to cast his spells.

Luckily the sorcerer slept like the dead and Spike had leapt on him and bound his hands to his sides almost before he realised what was happening.

“You’re coming with me,” said Spike.

He pulled Merl off the bed and pushed him along in front of Dru and himself until they were all in the basement. There was a sink in the corner and Spike filled a beaker with water and threw it into Johnny’s face. He spluttered a bit and woke up.

“What?” Johnny struggled as he realised he was tied up.

Spike went up to him and bared his fangs at him.

“Thought you might like a bit of your own medicine.” He stepped slightly to the side so Johnny could see Merl was there. He started to tremble, remembering Spike’s ear splitting screams. Spike grinned. He turned to Merl.

“Right mate, here’s the deal. Either you start to work for me, in which I’ll pay you whatever he does and then some, or else I’ll kill you. Your choice.”

“I’ll work for you.”

“Good decision,” said Spike with a smile that made Merl think he was about to go for his throat since he still had his vampire face on.

“Good, that’s sorted.” He knew Merl wouldn’t try to trick him. Sorcerers are notoriously inconstant. The only thing that motivates them is cash. Whoever held the purse strings held their loyalty and that now would be Spike.

“Give him what you gave me but a bit stronger, eh?”

“No!” shouted Johnny.

Dru giggled. “Your turn for the monsters.”

Spike untied Merl’s hands and the sorcerer then joined them together. The light flew from them to Johnny. His eyes lost their focus and he started screaming.

“No ‘shinys’ for him just yet,” laughed Spike as he, Dru and Merl left the basement and left Johnny to his monsters.

Spike took Dru up to the master bedroom, picked her up and carried her onto the bed. He kissed her as he undressed her, covering seemingly all of her body. She lay back in ecstasy. He pulled off his own filthy clothing, the same ones he’d been wearing when Johnny captured him, and fell upon her. It was hours before they resurfaced.

To be continued………..