Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this was a few days late due to the holidays.
CHAPTER ELEVEN - Hang on

Interview 2000


…and in that same meeting, uh…in that same trip, it was the President of Columbia Records, Donnie Ienner, who also requested us to, uh, meet with him and they kinda duked it out…



1996
London, England


Buffy stared at the computer screen. Her eyes were bleary and her hands came up to rub them. She let her hands drop heavily to her sides and she gave a big sigh. She was really getting tired of this damned thesis. It was slowly kicking her ass. The further she got in her studies, the more she began to question her motives for continuing on, for striving to get that ever elusive Ph.D. But, damn it, she was going to get it no matter what happens.

She leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes, in the hopes of clearing them. After a few moments, she opened them, squinting.

Nope, still blurry.

She glared at the computer monitor as though it had personally done something to offend her, then gave a huff and jumped to her feet.

That’s it. She needed a break. The damned paper could wait. It wasn’t going anywhere.

Nope…it really wasn’t going anywhere. Really not.

She paced the room, trying to work off the restlessness. She was getting so frustrated with the paper. But she really only had herself to blame, she supposed. She was the one who chose to focus on a more elusive topic of Egyptian art. Images relating to Heka. No, she couldn’t focus her thesis on something like the Temple of Amun-Ra at Karnak or the Book of the Dead. She had to become interested in the parts of Egyptian life and culture that were considerable not mainstream for major inclusion in textbooks and the like.

She gave a sigh.

She didn’t want to be writing her paper.

She wanted to be in New York with William.

This was the farthest they had been apart since the one time she went home for Christmas break her first year in England. Their apartment was quiet. Too quiet. She hadn’t realized how quiet everything was without him here. Without him here to bring life into the room.

He’s only been gone almost two days and she was already missing him terribly.

She reached for the phone. She dialed Dawn’s number and waited for her sister-in-law to pick up.

“Hey, Dawn.”

“What’s up?” Dawn’s voice filtered through the handset.

“Just wondering if you’d like to go out or something?” Buffy hoped she didn’t sound to hopeful. She needed to get out of the apartment.

“Missing him, aren’t you? Too quiet there?” Dawn asked, knowingly.

“You know, it’s really creepy when you do that.”

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes,’” Dawn said. Buffy could tell from the inflections in her voice that she was smiling. “But, yes,” Dawn continued, “I wouldn’t mind getting out, too. My room mate is driving me nuts.”

“Okay. The usual place?”

“Yeah. Wouldn’t mind dancing.”

“Okay. See you in a few.”

The two hung up and Buffy went to the bedroom to get dressed for a night on the town.

*********


Surprisingly, despite it being a week night, the club they frequented was crowded. Buffy stood at the entrance, looking around, trying to locate Dawn. She spotted her quickly, already seated at what has come to be known as ‘their’ table and made her way to her.

“Hey,” she greeted Dawn as she took a seat at the table. It was also at this time that Buffy noticed the young man sitting next to William’s sister.

“Oh, hey, Buffy, I wanted you to introduce Connor. Buffy, Connor; Connor, Buffy.”

Buffy gave him a small wave and a smile, “Hello. Nice to meet you.” She looked pointedly at Dawn, “Dawnie didn’t tell me she was bringing anyone.”

“Oh, no,” Connor said, politely, “I just happened to see her. Thought I’d say ‘hi.’” He looked between the two women, “If you want, I can go.”

Buffy shook her head, “No, you don’t have to do that. I was just-”

Dawn spoke up, smiling, “She’s just upset cuz she’s missing her honey.”

Buffy glared at her for a brief second, then shrugged, “Yeah…”

Dawn looked at her sympathetically, “Does he know how long he’s going to be in New York?”

Buffy shook her head, “He wasn’t quite sure. Something like a couple of days.”

“He told me that too, but I was hoping he told you more.”

Buffy sighed, “Nope…”

And so the conversation drifted to other topics, mainly, Dawn’s newfound relationship with the rather laconic Connor. They drank and they danced and a couple of hours later, Buffy received a call on her relatively new mobile phone.

“Hello?” She promptly smiled as she heard the operator come on the line asking her if she would accept the charges. She, of course, promptly said ‘yes’ and William came on the line.

“Will?”

“Hey, love,” his voice filtered through the noise of the club.

Dawn, who had been watching, mouthed, “William?”

Buffy nodded, fervently, and speaking to Spike said, “So, how did it go?”

“Pretty well. Got some news.”

Meanwhile, Dawn was explaining who was on the phone to Connor, who said, “Oh, the guy from Acid Reign? Your brother’s the guy from that band?”

Spike, having been able to hear Connor’s voice asked, “Who’s that?”

“Oh, Connor. Dawn’s boyfriend.”

“Dawn has a boyfriend? Since when?” She heard him give a sigh, “Never mind, I promised her I wouldn’t pull the overprotective brother act on her. Anyway, guess what?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “I don’t know, William. Mr. Davis didn’t throw you guys out on your asses?”

William laughed, “Nope. Something better.”

“What?” Buffy asked, her excitement growing. Was he about to tell her what she had hoped he would?

“You are talking to one of the newest artists for Columbia Records,” he said, happiness ringing in his voice.

“Really? You’re not joking, are you? Because if you are, you know I’ll have to kick your ass when you get home.”

“I’m serious.”

She pulled the phone away from her mouth slightly, and spoke to Dawn who was looking at her expectedly.

“They got the deal.”

Buffy laughed when Dawn’s eyes grew and she let out an excited screech. Several people around them stared at her but she ignored them.

“I hear Dawn’s happy,” Spike spoke, laughing.

“How’d you guess? But seriously, I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks, pet. We’ll be staying tonight and then catch the earliest flight back.”

“Yay!” Buffy exclaimed, giggling. “Been missing you.” Suddenly, something clicked, “Hang on, I thought you were meeting with Arista?”


Interview 2000

…and we loved him and the people there and we loved the label and they signed us pretty much on the spot.


END CHAPTER