CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Tangible

Interview 2004


I think one of the biggest things I have is that I’m expressive. And I’m tangible and I’m not afraid to connect with people.


August 1997
Los Angeles, California


Buffy and Spike were standing in front of the baggage claim, waiting patiently for their luggage to drop down the chute.

“Mom and Dad are supposed to be waiting for us,” Buffy said. “Mom was so excited when I told her we were coming home for a few days. It’s been so long since I’ve been home.”

Spike cleared his throat, “Sorry about that, pet. Never meant to keep you from your family.”

She gave him a small shove with her shoulder, “Now, none of that. Believe it or not, I love living in London. I don’t regret going there. Besides, if I didn’t, I’d probably never meet you.” She looked at him lovingly.

“And,” she continued with a giddy smile, “now I’m finally finished with my Master’s. So I’ve got time to travel.” She grimaced slightly, “Until I start my Ph.D., anyway.”

He grasped her hand and gave it a small squeeze, “I know, pet. It’s just, sometimes I forget how long it’s been for you since seeing your parents.”

She nodded understandingly, “Since our wedding. But I talk to them at least once a week. And they can’t wait to meet Spike the rock star.”

He gave a small wry smile, “That doesn’t sound like me.”

“But it is, kinda,” she said. “As far as everyone else is concerned.”

Finally their luggage arrived and Spike grabbed the two suitcases. “Lead the way, love.”

***********


The reunion between Buffy and her parents was filled with happy tears and Spike had stood back, awkward and unsure. He was nervous that they would resent him for taking their only daughter from them.

But, thankfully, he learned, that was not the case. Joyce and Hank welcomed him warmly into their home. And he was definitely glad to be there. It was nice not to stay in a hotel room for once. And to have Buffy there with him. After completing her Master’s and learning Acid Reign was due to perform at the famous Universal Citywalk in LA, she wasted no time making it possible for her to join them.

And now, Spike stood on the back porch, in the warm summer night. Contemplating. He wasn’t due at the location until early tomorrow afternoon and it was there that he would meet up with Willow and the band. Until then, he could relax. He wasn’t too concerned about the performance. They were well prepared for it. Of that, he had no doubt. He was confident they wouldn’t fuck it up.

Outside, he could hear the laughter of Buffy and her family inside the house. Moments ago, he had been in there, enjoying their company, contributing lively to the conversation, which was set around Buffy. A smile graced his lips as he recalled some of the numerous childhood stories he was now privy, too. Buffy had been bloody adorable, blushing bright red.

The laughter was slowly waning, a sign that the house was winding down for the evening. The back door opened and Spike glanced back to see who it was.

Hank came out and joined him on the porch. The two men stood silently for a few moments, before Hank spoke, “So, you’re, what do you musicians call it, getting in the zone for tomorrow or something like that?”

Spike smirked, “Something like that.”

“And you’re in a band, now,” Hank said.

“Yeah. Buffy’s the one who actually talk me into doing it. And, I’m glad she did.”

Hank smiled. “And I can tell she’s happy. And you’re happy. That’s good. You’re good for her.”

*********


It was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining brightly. Perfect weather for an outdoor performance. Buffy led her parents, who were curious to see her husband performance, through the crowd to the front of the audience that was gathered around the stage. She spotted Willow and gave a loud yell to get her attention.

Willow turned and smiled, seeing her.

“Hey, Buffy,” Willow said, giving her new friend a quick hug.

“Hey, I want you to meet my parents.” She turned to them, “Mom, Dad, this is Willow. She’s Will’s PA.”

“Nice to meet you, Willow,” Joyce said with a smile.

“You, too, Mrs. Summers. Mr. Summers.”

“So,” Buffy said, “when are they supposed to be up?”

“In a couple more minutes. Spike’s in a really good mood. Sound check went off without a hitch. Should be a good performance today.”

And, as Willow predicted, Acid Reign took to the stage a couple of minutes later, to a loud applause.

Spike, grinning like a mad man, took position in front of the microphone, and shouted, “Hello, LA!”

The audience dutifully cheered and hollered.

The band launched into their set, performing a couple of the hits from back home. When they got to their last song, Spike spoke into the microphone.

“I want to thank you all for your support. We have one more song before we have to leave. I hope we’ll be back soon.” As he spoke to the crowd, the band began to play the opening chords of their final song.

Desperate for changing
Starving for truth
Closer to where I started
Chasing after you

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
Forgetting all I'm lacking
Completely incomplete
I'll take your invitation
You take all of me now
I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you

I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go

And I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you


**********


After their set, another band took to the stage and Spike and Acid Reign went out backstage. Spike headed back around the front, after a quick goodbye to the others and a thank you for a wonderful performance. He quickly spotted his wife, her parents, and his PA. On his way to them, a young girl, who couldn’t be older than sixteen, if that, approached him.

“Y-you’re Spike, right?”

He gave her a smile, “That’s right.”

A huge smile appeared on her face when he spoke to her. “I was wondering…” She held out a CD - Acid Reign’s CD - “Could you sign this for me?”

“Of course, love.” He took the album from her and searched his pockets for a pen. He couldn’t find one, but it wasn’t a problem. The girl had a pen held out in front of him before he could say anything.

He took the pen, “What’s your name, pet?”

“Miranda.”

“Miranda.” He signed her CD and handed it back to her. “Did you like the performance?”

She gushed, “Oh, I loved it.”

Spike laughed, “I’m glad to hear that.”

“I know you probably have to go now, but…” Miranda looked at him nervously, “Can I have a hug?”

“Of course,” Spike replied, not hesitating in the least. He reached for her and gave her a friendly hug. He heard her sigh happily in his ear and noticed she couldn’t resist giving him a quick kiss on the cheek as they separated.

He noticed a group of girls standing not far from them. It was obvious they knew Miranda as she would glance back at them periodically, smiling hugely. Their shyness was painfully obvious. Spike could tell they wanted to approach, but were too nervous to do so. So, he took it upon himself.

Looking at Miranda, he asked, “Are you going to introduce me to your friends?”

A huge grin appeared. “Yeah.” Unconsciously, she grabbed his hand and led him over to her friends.

After the round of introductions, hugs, and autographs, all the while chatting with them, one of the girls was at ease enough to ask if he would take his picture with them.

“Sure, love.”

Interview 2004

Now, I think, as I get older…I realize that I have the ability…to make or break their day. And why not make someone’s day?

That’s kind of my-my philosophy on it now, and, uh, it’s bloody amazing. It’s so much harder to say ‘no’ to taking a photo with someone. Saying ‘no’ to a photograph request can take twenty bloody minutes and saying ‘yes’ is three seconds of your life.

And it makes their day.


August 1997
Los Angeles, California


The girl asked a random bystander if he wouldn’t mind taking their picture and the girls gathered around Spike. He draped his arms around the shoulders of two of them as they wrapped their arms around his waist.

Within seconds, the photo was taken and the girls were giggling as they said goodbye.

“Thank you for the autograph,” Miranda said as they began to go their separate ways.

“You’re very welcome.” He smiled as he watched them go, running to their group parents, squealing all the way, before continuing towards Buffy and the others. He was stopped a couple more times along the way, but he didn’t mind. He loved their fans.

After all, it was because of them, that he was where he was now.


When he approached Willow, Buffy and her parents, he wrapped his arms around his wife’s waist.

“Hey, Spike,” Willow said, grinning. “Awesome show.”

“Thanks, Red.” Dropping a brief kiss on Buffy’s lips, he asked her and her parents, “How was it?” He waited with bated breath for their response. It was their opinion he was most concerned with. Willow, bless her, could be too nice. Not that he didn’t value her opinion, but he didn’t think she would be able to tell him if the show sucked or not.

Hank smiled, nodding, “Willow’s right. You guys are pretty good.”


END OF CHAPTER SIXTEEN


Chapter End Notes:
Song is Lifehouse’s “Hanging by a Moment.”