Author's Chapter Notes:
The same Author's Notes from last chapter concerning my changes to the BRIT Awards still applies to this chapter.
CHAPTER NINETEEN - Unprecedented

Late September 1997


Buffy and Spike were seated a few rows back near the aisle, with Angel and his date, Cordelia. They chatted for a few minutes until the ceremony began. And then Spike found himself somewhat bored. He was never really one to watch the awards ceremonies on television, finding them a little dull and pretentious. Now, as he sat here, a member of the audience and a nominee himself, he found that he really couldn’t amend his opinion.

Spike watched the host of the event spout out an introductory monologue that, he guessed, was supposed to be funny - and certainly, most members of the audience laughed along - and the first performance of the evening, and he mulled over this conundrum. He was certainly thankful and humbled by the band’s numerous nominations, no doubt about that. And while he didn’t much care for the showy spectacle currently being played out on stage before him, Spike couldn’t deny that he appreciated the recognition bestowed upon Angel and him. It was sort of an odd thing. But it was something that would have to wait for further reflection as the first category in which Acid Reign was nominated was presented.

Spike tuned in as the host announced the presenter to be Beck, who Buffy was ecstatic to see on the red carpet earlier. The musician approached the podium in the middle of the stage and smiled as the audience applauded. Then he launched into his spiel, reading off the teleprompter, with the occasional forced humor. Eventually, he read off the list of nominees.

“And the winner of the British single shortlist is,” Beck opened the envelope and looked at it. He smiled and said, “Acid Reign, ‘Hanging by a Moment.’”

And it was at that moment, that precise moment when Spike heard the band’s name read off, he knew and understood what the appeal of these award shows was. It wasn’t the overdrawn and overblown ceremony or the physical award itself, because really, that was just a hunk of metal.

No. It was that sudden onslaught of emotions. Disbelief. Amazement. Nervousness. All this was topped with overwhelming gratitude.

It was a rush.

He reached over, grabbed Buffy, who was applauding ecstatically, and kissed her hard but briefly before he and Angel got up and made their way to the stage.

Then it was somewhat of a blur. Later, Spike knew when he would try to recount the event, he wouldn’t remember the details as he stood on the stage, shaking hands with Beck and accepting the award from the young lady who accompanied Beck on the stage. Before he knew it, he was standing in front of the microphone, next to Angel, who motioned for him to go first.

“Um,” Spike began nervously as the applause died down. “Wow. This is amazing. Bloody amazing it what this is. We’d, uh, like to thank firstly, the British Phonographic Industry for acknowledging our work. Wesley Windham-Pryce for believing in us when no one would. Our manager, Lorne, and our publicist, Anya. Um, all of those at Rough Trade Records. My parents, for letting me do this even though they were concerned. My beautiful wife, Buffy, for talking me into it. I love you. And, uh-” He looked at Angel, gesturing to the microphone.

Angel gave a brief nod and moved forward, “Uh, I’d just like to add thanks to my parents. And Cordelia. And everyone else who has supported us - whose names we may have forgotten throughout the years but have never truly forgotten. Thank you.” He stepped back.

Spike moved forward again and gave one last “Thank you” into the microphone before he and Angel moved to the exit on the side of the stage, amid wild applause.


Later

Spike and Angel returned to their seats once more. Needless to say, Spike had no idea that they’d be on that stage as often has they had been. They had just come back from their seventh time. They watched the producer of their album go to the stage twice.

Out of the thirteen nominations they or their album had received, they and their producer already won nine of them. It was enough to make anyone’s head spin. Spike knew his was.

The evening was finally winding down. Most of the awards had been given out and the bands slated for the night’s entertainment had already performed. There was only one more category left. And, of course, it was another one Acid Reign had been nominated for.

The crowd settled as the host, Ben Elton, took the microphone. “Please, welcome Oasis‘ Liam Gallagher, ladies and gentlemen,” he said. The audience dutifully cheered as the band members entered the stage. In Liam Gallagher‘s hand, he held one of the envelopes containing the name of the winner.

Everyone watched as the singer read his lines off the teleprompter, introducing the nominees for the category: Best British Album.

When he was finished reading off the nominees, Spike felt Buffy’s hand slip in his, squeezing tightly. He glanced at her and gave her a smile, bringing her hand to his lips, giving it a gentle kiss.

Gallagher opened the envelope, leaning into the microphone, “And the Brit goes to-” He unfolded the paper. “Acid Reign.”

The audience erupted as Spike and Angel glanced at each other once more, still surprised. Spike gave his wife another kiss and made his way to the stage for the tenth time that evening.

He met Angel’s gaze and they both shared a laugh as they scaled the stairs to the stage, both still feeling the rush despite the numerous times they had already done this.

Gallagher smiled at them and held his hand out. “Congratulations,” he said as he shook their hands.

“Thanks, mate,” Spike said, grinning as he held the tenth award in his hands. He approached the microphone again with Angel. They both turned to each other and shook each other’s hands excitedly.

Spike laughed into the microphone, “Wow. This is, well, unexpected. All of this, really. We don’t -” He looked at Angel, smirking, “-We don’t know what else to say, who else to thank that we haven’t…But again, thank you so much. This has been absolutely incredible. Again, thank you!”

He and Angel waved to the audience then moved to the exit on the left, following Liam Gallagher.


Later
Backstage


After they entered the backstage, the award was taken away from them, as it was only a prop used for onstage, and not the actual one they would receive with the band’s name engraved on it. Spike learned this the first time they went backstage and the award was snatched from them then, as well. He remembered reaching out, not believing they were going to take it away from him right after giving it to them. But his concern and worry had been quickly assuaged when they shoved the real thing in his hand.

Just like they did again tonight.

It was another thing Spike quickly learned about tonight. In no way was the ceremony actually glamorous. At least backstage. The men and women running around behind the scenes making sure that the evening ran smoothly didn’t care if you won. They didn’t care if you were in shock. They didn’t care if you were the next big thing or the thing. You had better not delay them.

And, in keeping with the motto of ‘no delays,’ Angel and Spike were immediately shuffled to the conference room, where hundreds of journalists and photographers were waiting. Before them, on the conference table, in a line were all ten awards they were given.

They stood for their photo, as the photogs instantly began flashing away. Then, they were told to take a seat at the table. Spike wasn’t too concerned about Buffy; he knew Lorne would find her until he was done with this. He gave a quick nod of acknowledgement as he saw Anya standing near the back of the room, smiling widely.

Immediately, journalists began shooting out questions one at a time, as though it was perfectly synched, and he and Angel were drawn into the somewhat lengthy exposition of answering.

“How does it feel to come away with ten wins tonight, more than any other act in a single night?”

Spike looked at Angel, smirking, letting him answer this question.

“It’s certainly a surprise. We weren’t expecting it. But, really, we’re quite honored. And humbled,” Angel said eloquently. Spike nodded in agreement.

There were several more questions in regard to the night and the wins. A few about the album itself and the inspiration behind it.

Finally, they got to the last question of the evening: “What are your plans next? Anything big?”

“I think we’re going to take a month off. Relax. Then, we’re off to the States,” Spike said, smiling.

END CHAPTER NINETEEN


Chapter End Notes:
Sorry about the delay in updating. RL temporarily got in the way.