Author's Chapter Notes:
Italics=internal monologue. Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I broke up with my fiance, so I've been waaay out of the writing mood. But I'm back and better than ever, so...here goes!
Spike sighed as he slammed the door of his Desoto, and then stared, dejectedly, at the billows of smoke rising from underneath the hood. He leaned on the Sunnydale sign he had driven into after swerving to avoid a deer, and shook his head.

“Bloody hell! Where’s the sodding helicopter when you need it?”

Glancing up at the setting sun, Spike rubbed the Gem of Amara necklace that still rested on his chest.

Probably need to hide this sodding thing before the Slayer tosses it over to the bloody Poofter. Again.

Shoulders slumped slightly forward; Spike began the long trek to Buffy’s side.

--

Buffy blinked in complete confusion.

“Wait…what now?”

Mr. Birmingham, the lawyer, nodded.

“Yes, Miss Summers, it’s all very true. For whatever reason, Mr. Gates decided to leave the bulk of his estate to someone pulled at random through a computer program he created. I’ve always said the richest people are the craziest. But…yes, well apparently you’ve won the biggest lottery ever…if you’d like to call it that.”

“So…wait…huh?”

“Miss Summers, you’re a billionaire. A multi-billionaire. A multi, multi….”

“I think she gets it, bud,” one of the suited guys said.

Buffy’s eyes teared up slightly and she sniffled.

“So…I’m not getting kicked out of my house then?”

Mr. Birmingham smiled slightly.

“Well, I’ll take care of that for you right away. Once we get your bank information we can deposit those funds…it might take a while to clear, for obvious reasons, but once I talk to them they should understand your little…situation. Honestly, Miss Summers, I am very good with money, and if you’ll let me, I can set up a financial portfolio for you so you never have to worry about this again, for a nominal fee of course.”

“Of course,” Buffy trailed off, too overwhelmed to really understand what he was telling her.

“If it’s alright with you, mate, I’ll be going over everything you set up for the Slay…for Miss Summers before she signs a thing,” Spike said as he sauntered into the room.

The suited men moved menacingly towards him until Buffy cleared her throat.

“No, fellas, please, this is my…my boyfriend…Spi…William.”

Spike grinned widely as he caught the jealous stares the suited guys shot him. After plastering a wet kiss on Buffy’s lips, he sat down next to her.

“Pet, do you mind if he goes over the paperwork with me? Want to make sure no one is trying to take advantage of you….”

Buffy nodded silently and a hint of a smile crept onto her lips. She felt relieved to finally have someone look out for her.

“Please.”

Flipping through the paperwork the lawyer handed him, Spike sucked on his teeth and sighed.

“’s a good thing that I came along, pet. Seems like your lawyer friend is trying to pull one over on you.”

A half an hour later, after many apologies from a shaking Mr. Birmingham, Buffy and Spike walked out of the office, hand in hand, content in the fact that the money she had come into was secure. A broad smile overtook Spike’s lips as he glanced at Buffy. She raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing, Slayer.”

“No…something….”

“Just a spec of odd to have you calling me your boyfriend and grabbing my hand not long after we were mortal enemies.”

Buffy scoffed, but held Spike’s hand tightly in her own.

“You were never my mortal enemy, Spike.”

“Course I was!”

“Nu-uh!”

“Yuh-huh!”

“You’re delusional.”

“And you love me.”

“Then I guess I’m delusional too,” she said with a laugh.

Spike stopped suddenly and pulled Buffy close to himself, and kissed her roughly, biting her lip as he drew back. Buffy’s eyes fluttered open and she stared at him.

“I must be dreaming.”

“And why’s that, pet? Amazed you can land a catch like me?”

Ignoring his comment and allowing the tears built up in her eyes to roll down her cheek, Buffy sighed.

“It’s just…everything…it’s weird. This whole Bill Gates thing…and…loving you…and finding Joy? It’s all…good.”

“Then why the tears, Buffy?”

She wiped the few drops off of her cheek and forced a smile.

“What am I going to do if…well, when, knowing my luck, everything falls apart?”

Spike shook his head and wrapped his arms around her.

“Pet, I promise you that as long as I’m alive…well…undead, or whatever, nothing will happen to you, the Nibblet, or Joy. Which reminds me, when am I going to meet the little one?”

“Well,” Buffy said as she walked up to her door, “You don’t quite have the pony she was expecting, but I guess now is as good a time as any.”

As soon as Buffy and Spike entered her home, they were assaulted by the high-pitched squeals of the two younger girls. Joy shrieked in delight when she head the door shut and bolted into Buffy’s arms.

“Buuffffffffffffffffffyy’s home, Miss Dawn!”

After enveloping the Slayer in as big of a hug as her tiny arms could muster, Joy stepped back and eyeballed Spike.

“Buffy? Why did you bring Billy with you? Miss Dawn said that he got hurted real bad earlier today and had to go up to heaven like my Mommy and Daddy did.”

Buffy raised her eyebrow at Joy and squatted down next to her.

“Joy, sweetie, what do you mean? This is Spike, not Bill Gates…but, since you mentioned him, Dawnie, I have some really weird news for you.”

“Oh great,” Dawn said off-handedly, “Some new demon or something is going to take over Microsoft and we have to stop him? Count me out. We’re playing Twister.”

“No, Dawn, seriously…this is big…bigger than big. You know how he, um, passed away earlier today?”

“Yeah….”

“Well, he was really eccentric and left a bunch of his estate set up to go to a random person through a sort of geek-lottery.”

Spike scoffed.

“Bill Gates was not that much of a geek, Slayer. He was a very smart man, so you shut your gob.”

“Wow. Someone’s testy,” Dawn laughed.

“Right,” Buffy continued, “Anyway, I guess we sort of…won...we’re rich, Dawn. Like, multi-billion rich.”

Dawn rolled her eyes and grabbed Joy’s hand.

“Yeah, sure, Buffy. And Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are setting up an IRA for you too.”

Joy bit her lip.

“Who’s Ira, Miss Dawn? Is that the lady who you’re buying my PJ from?”

“No, it’s no one, honey, now come on, it’s Twister time!”

Before Dawn could leave the room, Buffy held up her phone.

“You don’t believe me? Call the bank. Check my balance. The lawyer we talked to got about an eighth of the money put in there automatically and helped me pay off our house and the rest of the debt we had built up.”

Dawn raised her eyebrow, but dialed the phone number anyway.


--