Author's Chapter Notes:
It's only been a little while since I last updated so those who read this I hope you're doing alright. I put out a new one-shot story as I wanted to get my Spuffy smut on. It's called "Cutting Loose" and those who haven't read it, read it please and tell me what you think. Also tell me what you think of this chapter. It only has one memory in it but it's a longer one. There should only be a chapter or two left before we leave the memories and continue on with the current story so be patient.
When they arrived in the next memory, they were following Buffy walking down a street in Sunnydale. It was close to the main street. She didn’t seem nervous but anyone who knew her could tell she felt something was up. They followed for a bit until she suddenly turned into an alley and leaned against the wall.

Of all the confused onlookers Spike was the first to speak, trying to read the Buffy in the memory, “You look like you’re waiting for something…”

“I am,” was her reply knowing what was about to happen.

They waited another minute before Faith asked, “Seriously, what the hell is this? Nothing is going on.”

“You just can’t see what’s going on,” it was Angel’s turn to cut in. He could tell by her hair before that it was around when he was evil, but he remembered this now. He cringed at the thought.

Just then Angelus casually jumped off the roof of the building Buffy was leaning on. Not fazed she took two steps forward and turned around as she did so.

“You know following you is no fun if you don’t go anywhere,” Angelus told her as he took a lazy step toward her.

Buffy stood her ground by not moving and simply stating, “funny how being followed is no fun if it’s by someone who wants to kill you.”

“Oh now Buffy come on,” Angelus looked at her with mock sincerity, “I was going to have a little fun with you first.”

Buffy looked back at him with resolve, forcing the fear away, “You and I, we don’t have fun.” She pushed past him now and went into her battle stance.

“Oh you and I have plenty of fun Buffy! You get all…helpless…I get all…of you.” He was leering at her now, “Come on, tell me you haven’t thought about our little night together every night since. Lying awake at night, wishing you could go there again. I’ve heard you, panting…screaming my name –“

“Enough!” Buffy yelled pushing tears back. “You disgust me and YOU went nowhere with me.”

“Must kill you that I remember every pathetic moment of it, doesn’t it?”

“Actually I think it kills you more than it does her mate.” Spike was in his wheelchair coming up around the corner.

Angelus looked more than annoyed. “When did this become your business roller skate?”

“It’s not I suppose, but I always did like the theatre.”

Buffy was able to recompose herself during their little spat and was now chuckling at Angelus. “How is it you expect to kill me when you have to worry about your fangless friend over there?”

Angelus shoved her against the wall without warning, “Don’t really worry about him.”

“Oi!” Spike interrupted outraged, “Not fangless here, just injured! It’s very different.”

Buffy shoved Angelus back, he hadn’t been expecting it and he fell to the ground. Turning to Spike she whipped out a stake and asked, “Would you like to be permanently injured?”

Angel shot up from the ground seething. “Get the fuck out of here Spike, you’re getting in the way.”
“Well mate, not only do I love getting in your way, but you’re useless anyway,” He continued with his best Angel impression, “Oh, I’m going to kill Buffy, I’m going to rip out her entrails, I’m going to put her head on a platter” he stopped for a moment and glared at him, “let me know the day you actually do something, I’ll stay out of the way.”

“I’m doing something now Spike.” Angel seethed walking up to his wheelchair. “So get the fuck out of my way.”

“Actually, you’re not doing anything,” Spike smiled up at him with great amusement.

“I’m warming her up first, you never did know a delicious kill when you saw it.”

“Yeah? Well. I don’t see one.” He pointed back to where Buffy had been, and she was gone. Everyone had been so engrossed in the display they hadn’t even noticed her split. Except of course for those who had already been there.

The Angel in the memory began kicking things and yelling while Spike laughed. The Angel watching however had a question.

“Did you do that on purpose?” he asked looking at Spike

“Do what?”

“Let her go.”

“Umm, would that be a problem?” Buffy asked a little hurt, “You have sore loser problems even now?”

“Oh Buffy no, it’s just,” he paused trying to figure out exactly how to word it.

When he seemed to decide he was between a rock and a hard place, Conner moved in for him. “He just seemed like he was buying her time, keeping Angel’s attention on him and not on Buffy. I mean he looked Buffy right in the eye when she jumped away. He was either trying to help her get away or really liked seeing Angel lose.”

“Can’t it be both?” Spike asked.

“I suppose if your motive was to hurt Angel it makes sense.” Faith supplied.

“It was…” Spike’s statement didn’t sound as much like a statement as he’d planned.

“Did you know he was letting you go?” It was Dawn’s turn to ask Buffy.

“Not entirely, but I got the impression that he wasn’t going to say anything if I split. He wanted to piss Angel off, and on top of it, I figured he didn’t want Angel to succeed where he failed.”

“Where he failed?” Willow asked.

“You know in killing me.”

“Hey, anybody notice we’re still here watching Spike sit in the alley alone having a cigarette.” Conner asked looking around to make sure he hadn’t missed anything. “Were we supposed to follow Angelus?”

“No.” Both Buffy and Spike stated together.

“Why?” Angel asked honestly confused.

“It’s about to get interesting.” They spoke in unison again. This time they looked at each other when they finished. Buffy didn’t know what she was feeling, she was confused and hurt and occasionally angry, but looking right in his eyes, she found it hard to stop. Spike wasn’t as conflicted. He loved Buffy and he was sorry, the conflict he needed resolved was how to make her believe that.

Their eyes tore apart when Spike in the wheelchair started talking, “Unless you plan on being here ‘till sunrise you may as well come out. I thought you weren’t afraid of me anyway?”

At that they heard a movement from behind a dumpster and Buffy walked out. “You knew I was there?” Buffy asked masking her fear. She hadn’t been sure if it was a game between the two and if Spike would really let her get away with it.

“Of course I knew you were there. I’m not quite as stupid as your ex, pet.”

“So what?” Buffy started, standing up straight and dusting herself off, realizing she was dealing with a handicapped demon, “You wanna fight then?” Buffy shot at him amused.

“Yeah, because I could do a lot of good right now?”

“So what do you want? Why don’t you get the hell out of here? With Angel gone there no stopping me from killing you.”

“Just wondering what you plan on doing about him luv. If you hadn’t noticed, he had quite the upper hand before I showed up.”

“What does it matter to you? I’d have thought you would like that.”

“What? You actually being afraid of the magnificent poof? It’s wonderfully pathetic, but other than that –“

Buffy cut him off by slamming his wheelchair back against the alley wall. Keeping her hands on both armrests she told him anger laced in every word, “I am not pathetic, and I gotta say, you’re really one to talk.”

She didn’t budge, even when he responded, “Who saved who here?”

At this Buffy stood up, but didn’t move back, “You stopped him on purpose?”

“Well no, it wasn’t the plan, but I let you hide.”

“Why?”

“Because there is nothing better than that look on his face.” Spike told her with a smile.

Buffy let out the smallest of smiles before composing herself and beginning to walk out of the alley.

“Aren’t you going to even pretend you plan on kill me?” Spike asked looked at her a little confused.

“Well yeah, it was originally the plan, but I’ll let you go this time.” Buffy told him not looking back.

“Why?” At this Buffy paused but didn’t turn around.

“Because you let me go,” she told him frankly, now turning around, “And because maybe next time when we fight, you can tell me about how miserable his face was when you come home still alive.” She gave him a small smile and continued out of the alley.

Everyone watching looked a little surprised at the exchange, except for those involved. However most seemed to understand why they both acted the way they did. Only they had begun questioning if there were any more reasons why they had spared each other so willingly.

Before they had too much time to ponder, they found themselves on the move again.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review! I would also like to announce that I will soon start writing a supplemental story for this one. A memory that will resurface in the next chapter will reveal something that almost no one knew and it will require another multi-chapter story to give you the full picture.