Author's Chapter Notes:
many many thanks to
Cordy kitten, Jenn, Darkrivertempest, fyreburned, dusty, pyro63, midnight girl, sam kim and ariadne for the wonderful reviews, hope you all enjoy the next bit.
there won't be many updates over Christmas, the children get to the computer first most days:)
William woke with the rest of the household and reached out his hand but Buffy was gone. He was still glowing from the most amazing night of his life, but is mind started to have thoughts that worried him. If Buffy called vengeance on him, accused him of forcing her, he would have no defence. He could not deny what had happened the night before and he couldn’t see Buffy anywhere to judge her mood. He felt scared, he was surrounded by enemies of his people and he had bedded the lady of the hall.

William reached across for his trouse. He started to pull them on when Buffy arrived at his side. She had a cup of warmed beer in her hand and smiled him as she handed it over. There seemed to be no regret in her face. It was all smiles and shy looks. Their hands brushed as he took the cup from her and she smiled even more. His heart leapt at the sight of her. She looked amazing, golden and beautiful. Her gentle blushes as she raised her eyes to his warmed him more than the beer. His heart soared like a bird in the sky, he felt more alive than he had at any time in his life before and his worries melted like frost in the sun.

Willow and Tara looked at each other and smiled at all the soft looks their normally tough and hard working Lady was giving William.

Willow had been woken early by Buffy begging for a draught that prevented pregnancy. She had a brilliant smile on her face and seemed happier than she had for a long time. It hadn’t taken Willow long to mix the herbs and make the appropriate tea; it didn’t prevent conception completely but it definitely had an effect, and that was what Buffy needed. She didn’t need any more complications at the moment. Her feelings towards William were so mixed: as a woman she was strongly attracted to him, his body and his mind, but as a leader she could never forget that he was, technically at least, a prisoner in her home. As Lady of the Hall she had to remember her duty and her place. She just wished Connor would hurry up and find himself a wife, or two, she thought wryly, then she could leave this hall and go home to the lands given to her as her morning gift from her husband. He never believed she would make anything of the land, but in that as everything else he had underestimated his young wife. She had worked closely with her steward, Robin, and they had brought the estate up to scratch and it made a fair and good profit over the years. In fact her tablet weaving and wood from her forests had sold very well. She looked again at her stepson. Time to start dropping hints about his duties.

Connor walked past Buffy and William. He noticed how close they were sitting and smiled quietly to himself. That was one situation he was staying well out of: he had no intention of interfering where he wasn’t wanted. Connor looked at Willow and Tara, now that was a situation he wanted to interfere with. A situation he wanted to manage. He was fascinated by both women, but knew that Tara had to leave them in the autumn when her ransom was paid, and he would do nothing that would dishonour her later, no matter how much he wanted to. So he kept his distance in word and deed, so that she could truly swear nothing had happened when she returned to her blood family.

Willow was another matter: he might just chase there a little more this winter. He looked across at his beloved step-mother again. He’d never seen her so happy, she looked like she was glowing and he was pleased that something had put a smile on her face. He knew how hard she worked, maintaining his hall and lands. She gave her all to her duty and he really should show his appreciation more often. Perhaps he could bring her something really nice next trip, some fine linen from Dubh Llyn or some Lapis from Micklegard.
That would be nice for her. He smiled at his own thoughts. The list of spices that Buffy wrote out for him every trip cost him enough. Pepper was on it this time, and at a good weight of silver for a small bag she was trying to bankrupt him again. But it was wonderful when the Jarl came that they could put so much wealth on the table. Buffy had even managed to get glass drinking vessels for the last feast, as well as wines from France and barrels of nuts from the south of Spain. It had been magnificent.

Connor looked around his Hall, it was one of the richest in the area. Lord Leif of Lade looked upon them with favour, especially as his favourite niece was lady there, and it had done him no disservice in the Jarl’s eyes, caring for her since his father’s death. If he were to put another Lady in her place he would have to ensure Buffy’s comfort and status.

Maybe they should visit her own hall together before the Thing, to see how the Steward was doing and remind him there were menfolk who would protect Buffy’s rights should it be needed. He knew that Buffy kept a close eye on her own affairs and he wouldn’t want to be seen as interfering, but the reminder wouldn’t hurt.

He smiled again at the gentle interplay between William and Buffy. A bit of teasing about where she'd spent the night wouldn’t go amiss later.

He went to get himself another cup of small beer. It was too early for anything stronger. Xander was helping himself to his first cup, Anya was seeing to their child and not him. Xander looked a little cross, unused to the lack of attention. He was also looking at William and Buffy.

‘I’m glad I’ve grown up over the last few years. I had such a crush on her when I was younger,’ he started up the conversation, ‘and I would have been so jealous.’

‘You and half the male population of every hall within five days’ ride,’ laughed Connor, ‘but he’s so gentle a man that he is the antithesis of my father, and I think that might be part of the attraction. He adores her, you can see it in his eyes, he has truly been kissed by Freya, and I’m not going to speak against that sort of destiny.’

‘Me neither, a love like that can be a blessing and a curse. I hope she copes when he returns to his own kind,’ replied his friend as he headed back to his own wife and child.

William and Buffy talked quietly with one another, everyone giving their beloved lady all the time she needed.

The days of winter sped past, and the nights started to get shorter. The beat of the Hall stayed the same. William and Buffy spent much of the time together, talking, giggling, working side by side.

William spent his days getting better and better at fighting; with the skilled help of the men in the Hall, he was learning sword play and wrestling amongst other things. They played Hnaefetafl and Fox and Geese, sang songs, spoke poetry. That had been a surprise: whereas in his father’s hall his efforts at poetry had made him the butt of his brothers’ jokes, here he was listened to and respected because he could make up poetry. In fact they asked for him to speak in the evenings.

And his nights, his nights were spent in Buffy’s arms. They had spent the first month creeping around thinking their relationship a secret, but having been caught in the hayloft on more than one occasion and awoken later than the hall after a particularly active night they had accepted the laughter and jokes and William had taken to Buffy’s bed.

Connor had spoken quietly to William one day when they had been sent out to chase up the charcoal burner who was late with his delivery. Buffy preferred charcoal for the bread oven and the supplies were getting low.

Connor wasn't sure how to broach the subject. Ways were so different between Saxon and Northman, but he was Buffy's nearest male relative.

‘Are you promised to anyone at home?’ he started the conversation off.

William wasn't concentrating, he was having a hard time riding in the different saddle and the horses were faster and moved differently to the ones he was used to. They went at a fifth speed, a fast run. ‘Pardon?’

‘Are you promised at home, or are you free?’

‘I'm free, but why do you ask?’

‘I just want to make sure you're not going to hurt her.’

‘I have to go home, whatever we have is special and I'll not discuss it with you. But I cherish the Lady and I will always treasure her memory. I'll not hurt her deliberately if that's what you’re asking.’

‘It was, I wish you could stay but honour demands...’

‘Honour demands,’ replied William but he was happy that his closeness to Buffy was accepted by her family. He knew he would always love her, but their worlds were so different and so far apart. He’d even gotten used to bathing every week. He was beginning to love the feel of clean clothes and skin. He certainly loved the smell of Buffy when she was fresh out of the bath.

Part of his soul and all of his heart wished he could stay forever; the only thing he truly missed was his mother. But he knew that when his ransom was paid he would have to return to his own world. Honour demanded it. He would go back to Wessex and his brother’s Hall, he knew that he could never cope with the life in the monastery again. He would return home in the autumn, home to a family and a lifestyle that seemed more and more alien and unwelcome to him.

And he promised himself he would do all he could to ensure that Tara was cared for. She had blossomed so much since coming here. Strange to think that being kidnapped had done both them so much good and made them both so happy.