Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews. my muse is feeding off of 'em like you wouldn't believe.
Thanks to Ariadne for the banner...next update should be sunday
William watched as the coastline grew more and more distinct. They had been at sea for nearly a month now and he had tried to become a useful member of the crew, learning as much as he could. Olaf’s skill in navigating across the ocean had brought back all the old tales about the Norsemen being wizards. They had reached the first islands, of which Hrossey was the biggest, in only five days, the ships sounding their horns as the dusk approached. The answering horns had let the crew know there was a welcome for them and they had beached the ships, running them straight onto the sand and stones at a place called Birsay.

There was a fine hall on a small tidal island, with a village building up around it on the main island. The weather was warmer than he’d expected, as was the welcome. The hall had put them up for a couple of days whilst a storm blew itself out around them. The talk had been of markets opening up in Mercia and Wessex, where the best trade goods could be collected and of the lands that this lord, Turf-Einar Rognvaldsson, had taken. The islands were wonderful: with few trees - the islanders had bought some of Connor’s cargo of timber and agreed to buy more later that year - but good farm land and wonderful fishing. It was a rich land and a man could carve out a fine jarldom for himself here.
They had served fresh deepwater fish as well as shellfish for many of the meals; the bread was dark and rich, the butter fresh and there were huge hard cheeses on the table. William had been treated with respect: it seemed that the Lord knew Buffy and had a fondness for her. They also knew Ingimund and Connor was charged with messages to take down to him for them. Turf-Einar wanted trade.

They then headed away, west for Connor’s ship and east for Eirik’s. Eirik was going for the market at Jorvik. The goodbyes had been quick and painless. For Connor it was away to the Lord of the Isles, again trading and dealing in his hall. The Norse were seamen through and through, their ships fast and sleek, cutting the waters like a knife, twisting and turning with its uncertain moods. They showed skills that William was eager and willing to learn. He watched the birds as they flew inland showing the quickest way, the tides as they changed their course, the clouds, the currents. All were as good as signposts for Olaf and Connor.

Then to Mann. William was worried about seeing Harmony, but she was no longer living in the main hall. A farmer had bought her to work for him and his wife, her waist-line had been expanding fast and they had three sons who were seeking entertainment. William knew that the child would not be permitted to live, but at least Harmony had a roof over her head and food in her belly.

Again William was treated no differently to Xander, another member of the crew, given a place to sleep and food to eat. He was even rewarded with silver when he sang and told his tales, repeating the one about Thor’s hammer that Linden had told at the Jarl’s table at the Thing.

The green coast of Wirhal was big now; they followed the river upstream toward a copse of birch trees behind which stood a Norse longhall, navigating sandbanks and eddies in the wide fast river. The horn sounded to let the strangers know they approached and William’s heart sank further. Every day took him away from Buffy. This was it, the worst, back on his native soil. Horses would complete the journey home. He fingered the lock of hair Buffy had given him and felt the tears well up in his eyes again. He was crying like a woman. Xander and Connor pretended not to notice but left him in peace.


Ingimund’s hall was as fine as any William had been in and the welcome was as warm as all the others had been. When they entered the lady had seated William with Connor and Olaf at the head table. There was something about his bearing that said Noble. That, and the way he was dressed.

Ingimund sat with Connor as the night meal was prepared around them. ‘How is the Valkyrie?’

‘My Mother is well, thank you.’

William felt his spine stiffen at the perceived insult on the lady Buffy and Ingimund noticed his change in expression. ‘What’s up with yonder lad then?’

‘He and Buffy have become close over the winter,’ Connor started to explain.

‘And she let him? He’s not undead is he? We all know what happened to the last man to chance his luck with The Lady Elizabeth, he still carries the scars!’ Ingimund started to joke.

Connor joined in the hilarity, ‘he thought she was a servant and grabbed her!’

‘And ended up in the midden for his trouble and when he complained she back-handed him half way across the yard. If it weren’t for the fact that she scares me I would have offered for her myself,’ Ingimund continued. ‘We would have protected her, but she seemed to be doing fine by herself.’

‘Well this is the man that tamed her,’ Connor said with a grin, pointing at William, who was trying to follow the talk in a different accent to the one Connor and Buffy spoke.
Ingimund laughed again and shook William’s hand hard.

‘So where’s this prisoner we’re taking back to the Mercians, and when do we swap him?’

Connor grinned again and pointed to William. ‘He’s the prisoner, and we were wondering if we couldn’t deal at Meols. The Saxons would have the land and we the sea.’

‘Buffy tamed by a Saxon: never thought I’d see that. Let’s hope his own folk don’t shoot him before the ransom is paid, he looks like one of us! Meols is a long way from their strong hold in Chester: I doubt if they would be happy travelling that distance. I suggest higher up the river, opposite the city there’s a good water meadow. It’s broad and we have the advantage of the tide right up to the walls. I’ll send a rider overland and tell them to expect us in what, 4 days?’

‘Sounds good,’ Connor replied, ‘four days more William and you’re home with your own people.’

‘Now say that like it’s a good thing,’ William growled.

‘Do you want him tied? He could escape.’

‘He won’t, he saved my life at the Thing, and he’s given his word. Anyway, I’m marrying his cousin later this year.’

Talk turned to other matters and William was left to his own thoughts. At the end of the meal, he sang and told his tales, earning Ingimund’s thanks and another gift of silver.

William’s heart was heavy as he boarded the ship for the last time. The mood was sombre all round. Xander and Connor sat with him as Olaf guided the great ship up one river and down the next, each man pulling his oar with a heavy heart. It was a morning’s sail with the tide before the great walls of the City came into view. Before the gates could open and he went back to being a Saxon through and through William pulled Connor into a hug.
‘I will always call you my friend, what ever happens,’ he said before hugging Xander as well.

Olaf ruffled his hair, longer now than when he arrived with them. ‘You take care boy, and keep up your skills with sword and word, you never know when Vikings may come raiding!’

‘I will take care of Tara and Buffy for you,’ Connor told him as he handed William a bag that had been in Connor’s chest.

‘I know you will,’ William answered.

‘The bag is a gift from Buffy, she wanted to make sure you didn’t refuse it. She says her heart is in it as well, and she will never forget you or dishonour your name.’

William could feel the tears welling up in his eyes again. He gave Connor a nod and went back to his bench to look in the sack. It was heavy and full.

In it, carefully packed, was the book of prayer Connor had taken in the raid on Lindisfarne, the one William had saved from the fire. William caressed the cover. It was worth as much as his ransom. There was also a small packet, tied with some of her tablet-braid. William knew how much his mother paid for such stuff and knew she had given her best. Inside it was a silver cross. She must have bought it at the market at the Thing. There was also a birch tablet: he opened it carefully and started to read her letter to him.




My darling,

Hopefully Connor has given you this just before you reach your own people. I wanted you to know that I love you very much and I always will. It is the way of my people to be married, but I have talked to Connor and Leif and told them I cannot face another man in my bed. They have promised to let me stay unwed. You were not my first lover: I was married before I ever met you, but you will be my last and always my true and honest love. The husband of my heart.

I will love you now and always.


Elizabeth of Trondheim

The brooch is for your mother, from the woman who would have liked to be her daughter. It was my mother’s.

Buffy



William could feel his throat constrict. He pulled the last gift out of the sack: a fine gold and silver brooch, set with garnets and beautiful, a queenly gift. He clasped it hard in his hands, feeling the pin dig into the palm. It was the only thing he could feel at that moment. His heart and head were numb. He wanted to run all the way back to Buffy, to beg her to let him stay. Instead he had to face the group of people watching as the ship brought into the bank alongside the water meadow.