Author's Chapter Notes:
many thanks to cordy kitten, dusty, fyreburned, caia, IBE, midnight girl and Ariadne for taking the time to review.
A change of pace. My thanks to Aradne for the banner
Buffy looked at the outside of her Hall. it had been two months since she had ridden in and taken her place in her own lands. Robin had done a fine and noble job but he was needed with Faith, and from what tales she heard they were getting on very well. Maybe there would be another wedding in the offing soon? She prayed regularly to the Gods that William had made it safely home: she would know for sure in another four months. Connor would be home from his summer voyage and there would be a double wedding to celebrate. She caressed her stomach. She knew there was new life there, but it was far too soon for anyone else to be told yet. It was just a hope until the fourth month, but Buffy had no doubt. Girl or Boy, her halls would have an heir.

The time flew past and Buffy’s waist swelled nicely. Her woman, Kelda, smiled and held her hair out of the way during the first months, when nothing would stay in her stomach until near noon. She had taken to having ginger tea first thing and that had settled the symptoms. Buffy blossomed. She loved the freedom of her own hall, no thought here as to what Connor might or might not want. Her women worked hard and her hearth troop were loyal. She paid two young soldiers to stay and help defend the halls if needed. They trained the rest of them up to standard as well.

Kelda mothered everyone. She hustled and bustled, making Buffy rest whenever she needed. Nothing was ever said about the man’s shirt that shared Buffy’s shut bed, or the faraway look in their lady’s eyes some days.


Kelda and Buffy had spring cleaned the whole hall, ensuring that all the rushes were changed and the linens were washed. The hall was well into its summer work, butter and cheese made at their time. Huge stomachs of good salted butter hung in the dairy and the women spent their days outside sewing small clothes for the new arrival. The basket weaver was making her a fine crib, rich in patterns, as befitted the Heir to a great holding.

At Connor’s hall Willow and Tara shared the work. Helga and Anya had prepared the great lists of food they would need for the wedding feast; messages had been sent, and invitations offered to any and all around. Hafdan and Skapti had already accepted, as had Lord Leif: they would have a houseful. They had the men building temporary booths to house all the guests and they would be digging a couple of extra middens.

A second kale-yard had been given to the pigs to dig over ready for a late planting, so there would be plenty of cabbages and kale for the banquet.


The women of the hall were busy all summer, each to their own tasks. Jon and Andrew had been kept running hither and yon, and storehouses were beginning to groan with the amount of stuff being stacked ready for the ten days of feasting that would accompany the wedding.

In the evenings Tara and Willow sewed the wedding clothes. New dresses for the both of them: one in deepest blue for Tara, the other in green for willow, and a new tunic for Connor. It was of a dark red linen that Buffy had found in the store chest. She knew it would suit him and had left it for them when she moved home. She had also left length after length of the finest tablet weave Tara had ever seen: fine gifts for her new daughters. It was strange to think that Buffy would soon legally be her mother: she had a real family, and one that loved her.

Willow and Tara had agreed that they would share Connor’s bed together. If he wanted two wives that’s what he would have. They hadn’t told him yet though. They hadn’t seen him since he’d left to take William home. But they would not be separated. Tara and Willow shared a bed now, and would continue to do so.

‘I want children,’ Tara whispered one night to Willow.

‘So do I,’ Willow answered, ‘but I think we should take it in turns. We flow together and I don’t want us both delivering our child to the world the same day or even the same week. I want you there holding my hand when I need you.’

Tara giggled at the thought. ‘One of us can take the potion for a month, how does that sound?’

‘Good: who goes first?’

‘Don’t you think Connor should be consulted?’ Tara asked.

Willow laughed at the thought. ‘He’s getting two of us to warm him and keep him busy: he can concentrate on that, you and I will fill the hall with children,’ she whispered before falling asleep.


Tara had stopped wearing her wimple, she wore just a silk cap that Buffy had given her, and she was learning the complex braids women wore in their hair. Her father and siblings wouldn’t recognise her now. The kindness of all around her had rid her of her stammer and she was growing more and more confident of her place in their world. She was second only to Willow in the hall with Connor away; Helga had been sweet, talking to her about the wedding night, warning her it would be a little painful the first time, and trying to guide her through what was expected as she had no mother to talk to her.
Willow had surprised Tara though: she had told the shy Saxon woman it wouldn’t be her first time, she’d had a lover years before when she’d been away studying. But Connor would be getting one virgin on his wedding night.

Tara could make no sense of the scratches on the piece of wood: she had been the only one home that morning, overseeing the cooking. Anya had been to the mill, Helga to the fields and Willow away to a nearby farm where the woman was due to have her child. She had been gone two days. Tara wasn’t worried, Willow had sent a rider to let her know of the delay.

She had thought the messenger was from Willow again, but no, it was from Buffy’s hall. Tara made sure that the horse was cared for and gave the man food and drink. He had told her the words weren’t important and that Buffy had been well when he’d left her the day before.

Willow arrived home just before sunset, tired but happy. The woman she’d been helping had finally delivered healthy twins and her husband had been delighted. She had stayed long enough to ensure no more problems then made her way back along the path to her own hall and hearth. Willow was surprised to see they had a guest but Tara was coping very well. All had been done properly. The last year had made a butterfly from the chrysalis that had arrived, or should that be a swan from the cygnet?

Tara held out the birch bark to Willow after the tired Nana had eaten her fill. Extra candles were lit to ensure every precious word was read correctly.

‘Tara and Willow, my dear friends.
I send you greetings from my home. I hope all is well there, as it is here. I have to tell you that four months have passed since Connor pulled away and I still grieve over William’s going.
But I have fine and great news. I have been blessed by Freya and Frigga and carry new life…’

Willow could read no further for the whoops of joy ringing out around the hall. It took a few minutes to settle everyone down again before she continued.

‘I have a boon to ask. Would it be possible for me to stay after the wedding, to have my child there? I can think of no-one I would rather attend me than you Willow, and I know things will be better with the two of you.

‘Anya I give you my regards as well and to Helga, my love. I can do no better than the true sisters the gods sent me.

Buffy’

Tara and Willow grinned at one another, and Tara turned to the messenger.
‘Tell your mistress that we will be well prepared for her visit and she is to bring everything she needs for a long stay.’

The man nodded his thanks, repeating the message exactly. He would return to Buffy on the morn.