Author's Chapter Notes:
hope everyone enjoys the next chapter. the postings will slow down a little, RL is rather busy at the moment.

my thanks to those who reviewed. it really is wonderful and the only payment we get for entertaining you
Buffy made her way into the bright sunshine that bathed the hall yard with golden light. She had placed the two sheepskins against the wall where anyone could see them and then wondered over to where Leif and Hafden were sitting enjoying the sunshine and a games of Hnefatafl. They had a jug of warm pine tea between them and were sharing the same cup. A wooden plate contained the remnanats of bread and cheese.

‘Good morning' she said with a smile drawing both men’s attention away from the board

Hafdan lifted the cup in salute. He had found it hard to face the Lady Buffy in her condition; a part of him had hoped that she would accept his offers of marriage, but she had always refused and now, with her so obviously carrying a child he had no chance. Unless of course she became desperate for someone to support her and the child: that however was highly unlikely. Lord Leif had congratulated her already and offered to send birthing gifts when the child finally showed itself in the winter. So Hafdan resolved to be a good friend to the lady and perhaps if he was lucky, he too would find someone half as wonderful. He outdid her in years anyway, and his own children were grown.

Leif collected a bench for Buffy from inside the tent to rest, covering it in a huge sheepskin and putting another on the ground for her feet. His own Lady was awaiting the birth of their newest grandchild at home and was the only one of the invited guests to have to send apologies. The party had been a credit to Connor and his new wives, not that that was a surprise: this hall had always been famous for the quality of its celebrations since Buffy had taken the keys. It was good to see that Connor's wives were continuing that tradition.

Tara and Willow exited the hall to cheers from the people awake. Willow smiled but Tara blushed sweetly: she had always been very shy and to know that everyone had been aware of last night's activities had been mortifying. The sight of the skins on show deepened the red in her cheeks.

Leif smiled at the two women and excusing himself from Buffy’s company, went over to them.

‘Congratulations on your marriages, my ladies,’ he said. ‘I look forward to tonight's feast and dancing.’

‘My thanks lord Leif,’ Willow replied. Tara smiled and wandered off towards Anya and Alec. She wanted to see if the forthright woman had any advice as to how to please Connor in bed. Now that she was married she could ask, maids weren’t supposed to know about that sort of thing.

Willow watched her walk away, turned back to her guests and ensured that they had everything they needed. It was her duty now, she was First Wife of this hall. Buffy smiled across at her, and reassured her dearest friend that she was perfectly well and enjoying the sunshine.

Willow circulated around the wakening guests, overseeing the breaking of fasts and the cooking of the next feast. There were entertainments to plan and bread to bake. Jon and Andrew had been running themselves ragged for days and the mill hadn't stopped for a week. But Willow knew she was prevaricating, she had to tell Tara the truth and manoeuvred the pair of them back into the nearly empty hall.

Willow asked Helga very quietly to give them a little time and Helga shepherded the children out into the sunshine with the promise of helping her with the honey cakes.
Willow looked at Tara and took a huge breath.

‘Tara, sweetie, I need to talk to you: there should be no lies between us and I have lied to you.’

‘Over what, Willow? Don't you care for me: is that what this is about?’ The fear was evident in the younger woman’s voice.

‘Oh goddess no: I love you and I love Connor, it’s about last night. Connor covering for me, protecting my name,’ she whispered.

‘What about it? You told me that you had a lover.’

‘I had a love, not a lover, and we went for a walk in the woods, then he and I were attacked: the wolfsheads killed Sven and beat and raped me. I could never face what happened, Buffy nursed me herself and Connor took a small party out and found them. He ensured that they didn't have a chance to tell anyone what they had done. I'm sorry I lied to you: I just couldn’t tell anyone.’ There were tears in the red-haired woman's eyes as she spoke.

Tara took the woman in her arms and rocked her. They felt another pair of arms around them and looked up into the compassionate deep brown eyes of their husband.

‘You've told her.’ It was more a statement than a question and Willow nodded.

‘It’s over now, there is no-one left who knows anything: at least no-one who will talk’

Willow nodded and rubbed her eyes. Connor gently wiped away the offending water and kissed her eyelids.

‘Do you forgive me for lying?’ She asked Tara.

Buffy looked in at the door and saw the three of them cuddling in close and smiled. It was wonderful to see a family so happy with each other.

‘Of course I do. I totally understand, and I think you are wonderful. Thank you for trusting me with the truth now; come on, we have guests to see to and you really shouldn’t cry in public, Willow, you just don’t have the complexion to make it look enchanting. I’ll see to the hall, you go wash your face.’ She added, making Willow laugh.


Tara went outside again, leaving Willow and their husband together and gently took over the reins of the household, entertaining the other guests and ensuring the cooking was all underway properly. Helga smiled at the sight. It was good to see Tara becoming every inch the Lady.


The feasting continued for another four days and nights. The days were full of feasting and fun, the evenings full of beer and tales and for Tara and Willow and Connor the nights full of loving.

Connor woke earlier than usual on the day after the wedding feasts were over. He was needed to fare-well his guests. Lord Leif would be the first to leave, taking his own ship home and carrying the guests who lived in that direction with him, including Kelda, who was needed to oversee Buffy’s hall. Connor certainly needed to be awake to send off the local Jarl.

He woke alone as usual, Willow and Tara having risen early enough to help with the making of the early meal. He could see Willow was busy with her various tasks about the house, making her normal brew of herbs through the open doors of his bed.

Connor knew the cup she was using and it had only one purpose. He was livid. Willow was busy taking the women's brew: she didn't want his child. He flew out of the shut bed and stormed over to where Willow had set the cup down and literally threw it across the room. Willow was stunned. She rarely saw this side of her husband and it frightened her.

‘How dare you?!! You are my wife Willow, and I expect all duties from you.’

Buffy started laughing: she had overheard the whole conversation and quickly realised what had happened. She had been going to advise Willow and Tara to take it in turns to have a child, but thought better of her interference; however on this occasion, mother may know best and she wandered over to the arguing couple.

‘Don't laugh, mother, it is not funny that she denies my child…’

Buffy looked at the tearful Willow and rested her hand on her aching back. She had been on her feet far too much in the last few days and she really didn't need the groom and one of his wives fighting before the wedding was over or the guests had left. She waddled slowly up to Connor and put restraining hand on his arm.

‘You are frightening not only Willow but Tara as well,’ she pointed out, making her point by indicating Tara huddled in the corner, wide eyed and crying at Connor's harsh words. His raised voice had brought back terrifying memories of her father's hall.

Connor looked at the frightened vision of his second wife and took a deep calming breath.
Buffy was the voice of sense. Buffy called Helga to come and take care of Tara and when the sensible older woman had escorted the skittish girl outside she turned back to her son and daughter-in-law.

‘Now, what is this all about?’

‘It’s her,’ Connor spat. He was devastated. He had loved Willow for years and to see her reject him so quickly after the wedding was almost too much to bear.

‘What has she done that has distressed you so much, Connor? Willow loves you, she has since she came to this hall, she would never do anything to upset you deliberately.’

‘She's taking the brew,’ his words were torn out of his throat as though they burst on the way from his chest.

‘Willow, what do you say?’

‘I am taking the brew - but there is a reason,’ when Connor looked as though he had been stabbed in the heart. This was his wedding week and he was already disgraced by his wife.

‘Why, Willow, why would you reject the Goddess’ blessing if she sent you my child?’ His heart was in his eyes, he looked distraught.

‘Tara and I talked, we didn't want to deliver you a child at the same time, we wanted each other there to be midwife when the time came. We couldn't do that if we were delivering on the same day. So we thought that one of us could take the potion for a few weeks then we would have the children, if we were blessed, at different times.’

Connor realised what a dreadful mistake he had made and fell to his knees and hugged Willow close, begging for forgiveness.

‘I think,’ Buffy started, ‘that you have both learnt an important lesson. If you keep talking and are scrupulously honest with each other you will have a far stronger marriage. It’s hard, but could you imagine how you would feel at this moment if this had happened and nothing had been said? Connor would always wonder if you truly wanted him and Willow would wonder what she had done to upset you when you threw her dark looks. Talk to one another, children. Now make up and then calm down the softest and gentlest of your family.’

When the last guests had gone and the debris was cleared up, Tara and Willow waved Connor off for an autumn journey to the Thing and the hall settled down to a quiet, gentle routine.

The pig-kill brought back fond memories for Buffy, of poor William getting bruised and battered, and of his first night in what had been her home. She spent time telling their child about the wonderful man it’s father was. On a thong around her neck was the ring he'd made her. Her hands had swollen too much for her to wear it but she wouldn't be parted from the treasure, even on bath night.

As the pregnancy continued Buffy was very grateful for Tara and Willow's kindnesses. She never felt the visitor and they were always there for her quiet times.

The solstice brought her memories of her first night in William’s arms and she spent even more time stroking her swollen belly. There were gifts for all and the women of the hall had made wonderful swaddling clothes ready for the new arrival.

The first flowers of the year, braving the snows to show their heads and their beauty, brought Buffy to her child-bed. The men were banished from the top end of the hall and told to keep the children occupied and away from the working women.

Connor winced and shuddered at every scream and yell that came from Buffy, sheltered by the blankets strung on lines across the hall to give her privacy. The sight of Tara coming through the flimsy barrier brought them all to their feet, but she just needed cold water to bathe Buffy’s face and small beer for the women to drink.

Andrew and Jon went quietly about their work. Jon worried about Buffy; he knew women could die giving birth and he preyed to Freya that she would survive.

Anya’s bright face popping through and asking them to sharpen a knife to a fine edge made Connor feel the blood drain from his face, but he did as he was asked.

It was heading towards evening, and Xander was preparing the evening meal when they all heard the clear crisp cry of a new-born child. There were tears in the eyes of each of the men. Olaf shook Connor’s hand hard and buffeted the man on the back. ‘I wonder if it’s a boy or a girl?’

‘We’ll find out when they lower the blankets,’ he answered pitifully. He was cold and wanted to get by the big fire. He also didn’t want to even think about either Willow or Tara going through the pain that the screams had told him Buffy had been enduring. Not that they had a choice: both of his wives were carrying his children now. Part of him wished that they had continued with the potion. How did women bear it?

Xander served them all up a stew and bread, which they ate quietly before going to see the new arrival.

‘You have a sister, Connor.’ He looked at the bundle in Buffy’s arms. She was fast asleep, contentedly full from her first feed.

‘Hello little one, your daddy would have been so proud.’ He whispered before turning to the hall. ‘I have a sister!’

The waiting throng cheered and then quietened down as they woke the little one.

‘What’s her name, Buffy?’

‘Nordlys, after the northern lights we shared and Anne, after his mother.’

Welcome to my hall Nordlys Anne,’ Connor said formally and then left Buffy to her sleep.