Author's Chapter Notes:
I’ve been nominated!!!

Many thanks to whoever thought I was good enough to be nominated

Sunny D awards Story: Dark Sail on the Horizon
Categories: Best AU, Best Plot, Best Romance, Best Unfinished
http://sunnydawards.dragonydreams.com/nominees.html


Spuffy* Best Fantasy Saga
* Best Fantasy Romance

Voting and judging for Round 14 will begin April 01, 2008 (http://spuffyawards.jaded-paradise.net)
I have been doing the snoopy dance ever since

Thanks to all my amazing reviewers. you make my day when you give me that feedback.

A chapter for you all, don't know when the next one will be, still got visitors
Spring followed Winter as surely as day followed night. The warmth returned to the sun and the earth started putting out its green mantle. Unbeknown to William, he had become a father to a child an ocean away. His thoughts frequently turned north and he often wondered how Buffy, she, was doing.

Anne had recovered from the disaster that had been the visit to Winchester; she was grateful to be back in her adopted home and so very proud of the place her son was making for himself. She watched as he became every inch the man she always knew he was capable of being. They settled into a fine routine and life continued simply...


Athelred called William to him one evening. It wasn’t unusual but there was something about this summons that piqued his interest more than normal. The King’s tone spoke of important changes. There had been whispers within the court for days of a major policy shift towards the Northmen camped on their doorstep but it had only been unfounded gossip. In his heart William hoped that he wouldn’t be sent against them. They were Buffy’s kin and he would find it hard, but he knew whatever happened he would keep the vows he had made to the Lord of Mercia.

William washed hands and face in cold water. He did miss the weekly baths he had learned to enjoy during his sojourn north. He pulled the comb Olaf had given him through his locks and straightened his tunic. His mother gave him a look over and a slight nod and the finest of her sons made his way through to the room where Athelred lay in bed.

‘My Lord,’ he said, giving his Liege a bow and making his way over to the figure resting amongst the embroidered cushions. He was surrounded by the elders of the court and the prior of the church from Chester. It was obvious that weighty matters were under discussion.

‘Ah, William. We were just talking about you. I have a special mission for you, one for which you are uniquely qualified for, I believe.’

‘My Lord, I am always at your command.’ William replied and looked around the room. There were some unfriendly eyes watching him but Godwin seemed more amused than anything. The Lady Athelflaed was smiling. Her bright intelligent eyes twinkled as she watched the interplay between the different factions of the court. She appeared to be having a joke at someones expense and William just hoped that it wasn’t him.

‘We need you to take a party and head for the Wirhal.’

William’s heart fell. The one thing he had been most dreading looked like it was going to happen. He was being asked to lead a raiding party against Buffy’s family. He knew where his duty lay. Then his brain caught up with his ears. The King was still speaking.

‘We need you to negotiate: is that understood?’

‘Pardon? I missed some of what you said sir, I beg your forgiveness.’ William was embarrassed: he had missed some of what the king had said.
.
Athelflaed laughed. ‘I think you lost him as soon as he heard you sending him against Ingimund.’ She had been watching carefully and the young man had a very expressive face, his thoughts clearly written across it - as were his fears.

‘We need you to lead a party onto the Wirhal and talk to Ingimund: we want to make a deal. To negotiate a peace treaty. And to open up the markets. You have spent time amongst these people and understand them.’

There was a snort from one of the council. ‘The only thing they understand is violence. I will not have those heathens in my town.’ It was the Prior of Chester, Father Gregory, who spoke.

‘They understand trade and honour as well my Lord; they keep their promises, and they love to trade. Jorvik is huge and they bring in silks and spices from as far as the Calipahtes. When I sat at the Jarl’s table it would even put this one to shame. They served ginger to their slaves on high days and holidays. There were vine fruits and dried apricots, fine wines of all sorts. Some had even been as far as the Holy City itself.’

‘I will believe it when I see it.’ He turned his back on William but the king kept watching the young lord. His speedy wits would be needed as would his skill at languages.

‘You are to go as a full emissary to Ingimund, and I will be guided by you to a certain extent William, but we need security for our borders and someone to watch the coast. I want no repeat of the attacks that we all suffered last year. He has the ships and the men; we have the land, I want an agreement. We can offer fine markets for his goods, but I will expect the taxes. They will fill our coffers and allow us to rebuild Chester. Would that please you, Prior, the rebuilding of the churches and priory of St Johns?’

‘Very much so my lord.’

‘Good. I leave it in your hands William. Take a fair band with you, but I would leave the hotheads at home: we aren’t actually looking for a fight,’ he added with a smile. ‘Succeed, boy, and I’ll find you a nice estate to call your own.’

The king dismissed William with a wave of his hand and William bowed his way out from the presence. As he went through the door he could hear the raised voice of Brother Gregory still arguing inside with the king. He repositioned his sword belt more comfortably on his hip, straightened his shoulders and headed out into the sunshine.

William sat quietly on the bench outside the hall trying to take it all in, what he was being offered: an estate to call his own, a home for his mother that she could never be thrown out of, and a name for himself. Something he dreamed of when he was with Buffy. All within his grasp and all he had to do was organise the talks between Ingimund and Athelred. It wasn’t an impossible task, just a really hard one. He started thinking through the men that he knew, what he would need: a good scribe, perhaps brother Giles would like to go with him, and Godwin was a good steady man. William sifted through the men in the hall in his mind, getting together a party that would reflect the importance of the mission without tempting an armed response from the Northern Jarl. He would also require gifts. The Northmen set great store by gifts. He cast his mind back to the wonderful silver armrings that Connor had presented to his men, and wondered if he could get silver of a similar quantity. William tried to remember the rules for gift giving, it would be disaster if he got it wrong. He needed to talk it over with someone to get his thoughts in order. His mother would listen: she was very intelligent for a woman. He winced at the thought. He was picking up bad habits from his associates again.

The Lady Anne was tending her loom. She watched as William made his way across to her, it was obvious that he had something on his mind. He used to talk things over with her when he was a child, but he hadn’t done it for years.

William watched his mother’s clever hands as they pulled the weft through the warp and created the beautiful patterns that Buffy had paid a fortune for. He remembered the value the Norse had put on the wonderful English woollens.

‘What is it William?’ She asked. ‘You look pensive.’

‘I have been asked to lead a delegation into the Wirhal to talk to Ingimund about a treaty.’

Anne’s squeal of delight cut off anything else he was going to say. Her joy was obvious on her face.

‘Such an honour William, to be asked!’

‘Well I don’t want to mess up and the first contact will be the most important. I need to take gifts, expensive, showy, flashy gifts: something that will grab Ingimund’s attention from the moment I arrive. And I wanted to talk to you to get some ideas. They, the Northmen, have strict rules about gift giving and I really don’t want to mess up.’

‘You won’t, William, you have matured into an amazing man, and I’m so very proud of you,’ there were tears in her eyes as she spoke.

‘Thank you,’ he said quietly, and watched her hands again. When she was at her weaving it had always been a good time to talk to his mother, her mind was free while her fingers were busy with the yarn.

‘What gifts would Connor have liked?’ she asked quietly.

‘Wool. Buffy paid a fortune for cloth and it wasn’t as good as yours. He gave silver but that was a liege to vassal type gift.’

‘So no silver then,’ Anne said.

‘No. They all admired the hunting birds we have: maybe a couple of hawks? And our trained hunting dogs, he’d love those I think,’ William mused.

‘So we have a list of fine wool, hawks and a couple of dogs.’ Anne spoke softly, concentrating on her loom. She had a fine split herringbone up, one that had been worked in the grease and the colours taken from different coloured sheep. Ideal for a kingly gift.



Two weeks later, when the weather was warmer and the ground drying after the spring rains, William headed out at the head of a small horse train, accompanied by five fyrdmen, Giles and Godwin, and a string of pack horses. The dogs went running along side them and the pair of hawks sat on the pommel of Godwin’s horse. With horns blowing William rode to his future.