Author's Chapter Notes:
Fifteen reviews, wow you guys rock. Hope you enjoy this extra long chapter
Buffy smiled as Nordlys crawled across the great cow skin that had been laid down in the meadow for her. She was growing strong and healthy and looked more like her father every day. Buffy knew she shouldn’t love her little one so much, she wasn’t even a year old - but she couldn’t help it. Nordlys was the centre of her world. She would do anything and everything she could to make sure that nothing happened to the little bit of William she had left.

Buffy had been picking nuts and berries whilst watching Nordlys out of the corner of her eye. It was a whole day away from the hustle and bustle of the main hall and even the sun was beating down, making the wheat and rye turn gold in the light. It would soon be harvest and time for the hard work to start again. This hall wasn’t as wealthy as Connor’s yet, but they had enough food to make it safely through the winter with some to spare, which she planned to sell at the spring markets, making a nice little profit. There wasn’t as much bounty here as on Connor’s estates. But there would be, eventually. She would see to that. The land was good and fertile, and there was untapped virgin soil ready for tilling. There was even an abandoned farm of some three hides, but she had plans for that. Buffy smiled secretly to herself. Tonight would be fun.

Her ship had traded well, and in spite of paying her own boatmaster a fat fee, she had turned another nice profit on the little coaster. Robin had run the hall as well as he could, but its mistress was back and it showed. The grubenhausen were being rebuilt, her workers and thralls were taken care of and they were working harder than they ever had before. Connor had taken a load of her braids south for selling as well as furs from the forests that surrounded her Hall. She was rich in good timber for boat building and knew that this winter would bring more profit. Nordlys would have a fine inheritance when she grew up.

But today was a day off, a day for resting a little and enjoying the late summer sunshine. Buffy needed the rest. She had banished Jon out of the hall every day for the last week. The young man had been a valued ally over the last year and tonight he would get his reward. She thought back to when he had first arrived at her door, a scared little boy of six summers, his red hair shining in the sun, and his family so far away. Jon’s mother had sold him to pay for food for her other children, his red hair making him more valuable than his siblings, and Buffy’s mother had done the buying. Buffy had only been a couple of years older than him, but she had made sure he was fed and cared for. Buffy had learned early that if you care for your people they care for you. It sounded very hard and mercenary but it was so true.

She looked up as Jon took the cows down to the stream to drink. The dairy had had a bountiful year and the cheeses and stomachs full of butter stored would keep them all winter long, again with enough to make it worth taking to market.


Jon had been a little furtive for the last few days, but then so had Buffy. He had been sneaking around the farm when he thought no one was looking. But Buffy wasn’t worried. She knew all his hiding places for the silver he had earned over the years. He had saved everything he could, and she had been a generous and kindly owner for the most part at least. His hoard was enough for him to buy himself free, and she knew how much he wanted that.

Jon had approached her the night before about his freedom. Hella and he wanted to be together, but he wouldn’t dishonour the girl by talking with her family whilst still a slave, not that they would even listen to him yet anyway. She was fourteen and he knew that her father was looking for a husband for the young woman. He desperately wanted to be in the position to offer for her. He had enough money for his freedom and for the party for everyone to announce it, but he needed to know how much Buffy would want for a hide of land. It would be hard work to break in a new farm, but it would increase Buffy’s holding as well. He looked at the collection of pennies. He had a pound in silver, plus another 14 pennies, nearly fifteen years of saving.

Buffy smiled quietly. She had invited Ingvar and his daughter Hella to her hall that very night, along with most of the surrounding holders. Jon had worked for her since he was six years old, and tonight she was going to grant his freedom.

The hall was buzzing with activity. Jon hadn’t arrived back from his day’s work: she had sent him to the furthest meadow she could just to ensure he didn’t see all the arrivals at the hall, and now she was on guard duty to ensure he didn’t arrive back early. It was nearly dusk before she and Nordlys put in an appearance. The hall had been decorated and a fine feast was laid out on the tables. She could smell the stew and the ginger cakes. Jon wouldn’t know what had hit him. Buffy laughed to herself, actually, yes he would. Buffy would hit him that very evening during the freedom ceremony.

Buffy changed into her best hangeroc and her silver gilt brooches. She could hear late arrivals being welcomed as well as the sound of the cows coming back in for milking. One of the other workers ran outside with the message for Jon to get the work done quickly before heading inside for feeding as Buffy welcomed all her guests.

‘Eirik? Jarl Leif , Hauldr Hafdan, Speaker Skapti,’ she called out in surprise, ‘what are you doing here? Not that you aren’t welcome because you are, always…’ she started to babble.

‘Don’t you just love it when you throw her so completely off balance, she just babbles on…’ the Jarl laughed and held his arms out for his foster daughter to have a hug.

Buffy laughed and stuck out her tongue at her liege Lord and foster father.

‘You are more than welcome but it must be serious business to bring you so far from your own homes.’ She held on tightly to the man that had been the only father she had wanted.

‘The whole place seems to be expecting us, you have the whole of the holding here.’

‘We have a freeing tonight. Jon, you know, the redhead that’s been with me for years?’

‘Wonderful! Then we have a lot to celebrate.’

The men made their way into the hall and accepted ale from the women. When they heard the noise of the cows being taken back to the home field for the night Leif and Hafdan went outside and grabbed poor Jon by the arms just as he was securing the gate. They marched him to the hall without saying a word to him: they could feel Jon shaking under their hands and shared a sly smile.

‘Your mistress wants you now, boy,’ Hafdan growled as they pulled him through the door.

Poor Jon was terrified. He had asked for his freedom and he had angered Buffy: his precious Buffy and now he would pay for it. Buffy could order him killed without a second thought. He was at her mercy.

He was shoved down onto his knees in front of his mistress. He didn’t really notice the hall full of his neighbours, all he saw were the warriors, the weapons and his lady. His smiling lady. She didn’t look mad, in fact she looked happier than she had since Master William had left.

Jon looked up into her eyes then around the room. Everyone who knew him was there, including Hella and she was smiling as well. What was going on?

‘Jon, I understand you want to be free of me?’ Buffy asked in her best Holder voice; it echoed around the room.

‘Yes, my Lady,’ he stuttered, still shaking.

‘You have served me long and well. I will grant you your wish.’ She slapped him hard across the face. ‘That is the last blow you will ever receive as a thrall, you are free, free to work or not, free to speak or not, and most importantly, free to starve.’


She helped Jon to his feet. The poor man couldn’t believe his luck: free!

Jon looked around the room properly. Buffy was kissing his cheek, it felt like butterfly wings across his face. Free. Jon looked towards Hella, she was smiling broadly at him, waiting her turn to come forward to congratulate the man.

Ingvar looked towards his daughter. He had been a woodsmith all his life, and he had served Buffy faithfully. She had supported him when times were hard. If Buffy spoke for the man, he would look favourably on Jon’s suit of Hella. Ingvar held out his hand to Jon and shook it.

‘Congratulations,’ he said simply.

‘Thank you, sir,’ Jon replied.

‘Not sir, Jon, my name is Ingvar.’ He gave Jon the use of his given name. He had also turned the man a new bowl and cup, his first gifts as a free man.

Others lined up to present gifts. A piece of linen big enough for a new tunic, leather for new shoes, and a fine scabbard and a new cloak. Jon was overwhelmed by the gifts that were piling up in his arms.

When the noise had settled a little Buffy called Jon back to her and presented him with a knife and a silver penny.

‘A knife to protect yourself with: carry it with pride. And a penny towards next year’s taxes,’ she said, handing him the gifts.

Jon looked at the gifts in his hand. ‘I had got the money for my freedom, Lady.’

‘I know Jon, but I wanted to give you this gift. And this way I have to pay for the party. Save your money, you will have bride-gifts to buy before long if all goes well.’ She looked pointedly towards Hella. ‘Now we have business to discuss. How do you intend to support yourself now that you are free?’ Buffy tried to get the man to focus on what she was saying, but it was obvious he was having a hard time taking it all in.

‘I am willing to work if you’ll have me lady, if not I’ll find work elsewhere.’

‘Well. There is the old farm: Crock’s place. It’s four hides of land but hasn’t been worked for eight years. It will take hard work to make it pay, but if you would like, it’s yours.’

‘My Lady?’ Jon was waiting for the bad news. Everything was going his way for the first time in his life, he couldn’t believe that his luck was so good on this night.

‘I mean it, it’s all yours, but I think you’ll need help,’ she smiled across at Hella. ‘I will leave you to think about it; give me your answer next week. Until then, you are more than welcome to continue here, in fact why don’t you stay and work here over the winter? I will see to your food and lodgings, and pay you a fair wage. You can start the farm come the spring, the money I pay will be useful for buying seeds and livestock.’

Buffy smiled again as the young couple were drawn to one another. She was glad she could help them.

She made her way across to her foster father and his friends.

‘That went well I thought, you had the poor man scared out of his mind,’ she grinned at them, noticing they seemed as nervous of her as Jon had earlier. ‘Now I honestly don’t think you have come all this way simply to see a slave freed, so are you going to tell me what this is about or do I have to watch you dance around each other like mice around a cat?’

Lord Leif cleared his throat and looked at Hafdan, who looked at looked at Eirik.

‘Well gentlemen, are we going to continue this circle dance or is one of you going to actually, you know, talk?’ It was no longer funny and Buffy wanted answers.

Eirik took a deep breath and started. ‘There’s a chance for a treaty with Athelred of Mercia. It’s huge: new settlements, overwintering grounds, land and markets, but…’

‘But?’ Buffy was almost amused by the reluctance the men were showing, almost but not quite. They were hiding something and she wanted to know what it was and how it affected her little family.

‘But they want it sealed with a marriage.’

‘Nordlys is a little young…’ joked Buffy a little seriously.

‘It’s a remarkable treaty, Buffy. We get everything we want. They have suggested quite a remarkable man for the wedding. Ingimund himself has been to Chester with his family and met the Lord and Lady of Mercia. They have settled all the details between them. The marriage would take place in that town at the new church they have built, under the laws of the White Christ, but they have agreed to a Norse ceremony as well.’

‘It sounds wonderful, but I still think Nordlys is too young,’ Buffy repeated.

‘There is a nice holding for the couple there, on the borders between the Saxon and Norse enclaves. A beautiful new hall will be built and there will be livestock and if the couple want they could even come and live back here.’

‘That is all very well, but there are only two women of sufficient rank here for that sort of marriage: Nordlys and me. And I still say she is too young, she hasn’t even seen a year yet.’ Buffy was getting cross. She didn’t notice the looks the men were giving her and the smiles in their eyes.

‘Buffy, they want you, not Nordlys. You are to be the bride. Ingimund has asked specifically for you.’

Buffy couldn’t speak, she felt her heart sink in her chest.

‘Leif, you promised that I wouldn’t have to marry. I couldn’t let another man touch me after William; you promised!’

‘I promised and I have never gone back on my word Elizabeth: never, and I’m not going to now. Buffy, listen to me: William of Wessex is the man they suggest as their emissary, if you are willing to be ours.’

‘What??’ Buffy wasn’t sure she had heard correctly, was Lord Leif really saying what she thought he was?

‘William of Wessex, he has risen incredibly high in the Mercian court and he is the man who will be waiting at the church, if you are the woman who will be joining him,’ Eirik explained to Buffy. ‘I was there, I saw him, he is fit and well and missing you. He has agreed to everything, provided you stand by his side.’

Buffy, for the first time in her life, felt the world spin, and fainted into her foster father’s arms.


Chapter End Notes:
reviews please:) bats eye lids