Author's Chapter Notes:
many many thanks to my kind and generous reviewers, they make my day. hope you enjoy this update
William was shown to a chest to use as a seat, and given an oar to pull. It was where Connor normally slept and William had assumed it was his oar. Connor’s side was still sore and William was unhurt so it made sense for the uninjured man to share in the work.

Connor hadn’t said a word to either William or to Tara since the incident with Harmony. Tara had cried all night, and had appeared washed out and wan in the morning… Tara had turned her back when Connor had tried to talk to her, unable to face the man that had allowed Harmony to be so badly treated, and then sold her. She was terrified about what the future held for William and herself. They had been treated with respect so far, but that could change so quickly. She had to keep reminding herself how little in common they had with these savages. They were so different, worshiping a pantheon of Gods, but Tara was a just woman, and she knew that Harmony hadn’t actually helped herself. She had tempted supposedly uncivilised men who had resisted time and time again, but she had offered herself to the wrong one and had lost everything. If Tara was completely honest, she knew in her heart of hearts that Connor had tried to keep them all safe, it was not his fault he had failed. If he had tried to stop what had happened, they could all have lost their freedoms.

The men on the ship gave both William and Tara space, but they maybe were just busy on their oars. They had had very little wind, and certainly not enough to belly out their sails, so the men had taken to the oars: every stroke was taking them closer to home.

Everyone’s mind was busy that night as they rocked gently on the waves, the oars carrying them through the night as they worked turn and turn around with just a few brief snatches of rest. No-one slept that well however calm it was: their minds were as busy as their bodies had been during the day. William was terrified about the future; Tara confused at her feelings for Connor.

Connor was excited, he was bringing home a wonderful bounty, treasures and gifts, and he was going to see Willow and Buffy again.

Xander’s thoughts were all on one person, his Anya: he hadn’t seen her for over six months and he couldn’t wait. He couldn’t keep the grin off of his face. The others watched him and smiled to themselves. All had family waiting, but everyone knew what Xander and Anya were like. His crewmates started making bets on how long it would be until Anya dragged him off somewhere quiet to have sex, one man betting it would be before they made it into the hall at all.

The sun saw them still at the oars, heading further and further north. Those not rowing were busy tidying the ship up. The ones not pulling on wooden oars were washing their bodies with cold sea water, combing out their hair and starting to trim off the surplus hair from their faces, leaving their beards neat enough for good company. Their knives were that sharp.

Connor offered his knife and a cloth to William and indicated that they expected him to wash and clean up as well. Tara wasn’t sure where to look and hid up in the prow, watching out to sea. Connor came up to her with a bucket of water and a couple of cloths.

‘Sorry its cold,’ he said quietly, ‘but I thought you’d want to clean up as well. We should be in by tonight, and I thought you’d want to look your best before meeting the women of our household.’ He handed a comb over as well. It was a fine antler and bone one carved with an intricate design.

‘Thank you,’ she said with a small smile.

Connor turned away from her. ‘If you stay up here, we’ll raise the sail and stay the other side of it for a while, give you some privacy while you wash.’

Tara had to smile. Connor was always so thoughtful.

It was late afternoon. The day meal had been eaten quickly and beer drunk in near-silence when Olaf and Connor began talking quietly. They hadn’t made such good time as they’d hoped and it would mean coming into their harbour in the dark. It was a choice, try for the Noust tonight or wait until light; each had its advantages and each had its disadvantages. They had to choose carefully.

‘Buffy would have the signal fires ready: if we can make it early enough, she’ll see us coming. I don’t really fancy another night at sea, and the thought of my own hall is rather enticing.’ Connor said. They looked at the shore: they knew this part of the coast well. They were maybe an hour out from the harbour, three from the noust. It depended on whether or not a lookout had been posted. Buffy normally did, but it depended on how busy the farm was.

Olaf looked at the weather. ‘It’s going to be bad tonight, I think we make the run for home.’
Connor nodded his agreement and started to shout instructions to the crew.

It was that long northern dusk later that day when the ship rounded the headland. Xander and Connor stood up on the prow blowing horns, their deep notes sounding across the still water as the rest of the men manned oars, pulling hard. They were almost home.
The cheers went up from the boat when they heard the answering calls from shore. Olaf sounded his great horn again, its long clear note sounding out along the shore.

Tara had slipped down to sit by William, trying to keep out of everybody’s way. They all seemed to know what they were doing, and she and William felt a little lost amongst the hurrying and bustling around the boat. She tried to hide in his side, it was the only place she felt completely safe. Their few days at sea were coming to an end.

The notes from the horns kept sounding out. Tara looked and could see fires being lit: their red glow shone through the gloom. Olaf lined up the boat so he was heading for the fires: they seemed to climb into the sky in a straight line. When they were perfectly lined up he shouted loudly and the men started rowing with all their might. Tara felt the Dragon boat leap forward as if she knew herself that she was nearly home.

Then from out of the dark torches appeared, and the even darker outline of a building. They were heading straight for it, the torches were heading out over the water ahead of them. These people must be witches, Tara thought to herself, then realised the torches were outlining a dock.

Many hands reached down for the ropes to secure her in. People shouted and yelled to each other, anxiously scanning crew and crowd to make sure loved ones were there.

William looked up at the rows of faces looking down at him, straight up into the most amazing pair of smiling green eyes he had ever seen in his life.