Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is a bit shorter than usual, as it acts like a bridge. Hope you like it

I wanna thank you all for reading and reviewing, you really make me happy! *group hug* I also wanna thank Im_bloody_English for kicking my muse into gear when he slacks off and for being just as vigilant with my personal life as she is with my writing, you may have salvaged a relationship, honey!!! Thank you to Carrie (Darkrivertempest) for making sure I remain sane. She's a bit under the weather and I think you could help boost her spirits some by giving her excellent story, Omniscient, a chance. If you read it you won't be disappointed. If you also review it you'll make her day (and believe you me, that story is really excellent).

Next chapter will be angsty, but trust me (and Buffy) to make things better, k? *hugs*
The weeks that followed seemed to bring the two couples closer together.

The introduction of Xander and Willow to the wonderful world of sex and the awkwardness of the blonds walking in on them the morning after managed to create a more relaxed camaraderie among all four of them, making their interactions more natural and dispelling the uneasiness the two had felt whenever Spike and Buffy were demonstrative in their affections.

As they got to spend more and more time together, Xander couldn’t help but notice the deep connection that his two cousins really shared… and then worried about how the end of the summer would tear them apart. *Not forever, though. Spike wouldn’t give up on her that easy.* But the question was, what would Buffy do?

It didn’t help much that he had received a phone-call from Dawn that same day that Buffy had come clean about her relationship with William/Spike to her. His cousin wanted to make sure that Buffy was right when she said Xander approved of the relationship between her and the teen previously-known-as-William, as she referred to him. *Can always count on Dawn to be my silliness-buddy when situations need some lightening up!* he chuckled as he thought back on how he had reassured her that both Spike and Buffy knew what they were doing and that they were both too much in love to ever hurt each other. He meant it when he’d said it, but doubt kept creeping into his mind. Truth be told, he had never seen Buffy that taken with anyone, but she never had been very expressive in the past, and part of him worried that her openness with Spike could be because she wasn’t actually risking much if she thought this relationship already had an expiration date. Not that she could be pretending the caring she felt for Spike, just that maybe she allowed herself to indulge in extravagant shows of affection without feeling it to the extent she let on. No. He couldn’t deny that Buffy really was as much in love with Spike as he was with her.

Now, as he lay on a beach towel in the shade, looking at the pool, one hand absent-mindedly playing with his girlfriend’s hair as she lay with her head on his stomach – his much leaner stomach, as he’d lost ten pounds since Willow had decided to get him into shape – his other arm folded under his head, he wondered if this great love the blondes obviously shared would end up hurting them. He had never seen Spike in love before, but knowing him, he bet he would be as passionate about holding onto the woman he loved as he secretly was about poetry. Spike wasn’t the type to give up on his heart’s desire no matter the difficulties he’d have to overcome. Again, it was Buffy that troubled Xander the most. Buffy, who when faced with any threat, became locked inside herself, denying her hurt and trying to erase its source instead of confronting it. If Buffy thought the two had no future, she would do everything she could to sever all ties at the end of the summer, breaking both her heart and her lover’s in an effort to preserve her ‘safety’.

Xander had to make sure that didn’t happen.

Buffy rolled her eyes as Spike broke the surface just behind her, pasting his body against hers where she stood holding onto the rim of the pool. He wrapped one arm around her waist as the wicked fingers of the other pulled the crotch of her swim-suit to the side and began rubbing her. “Spike! Not now! Xander’s-”

“Too far away to see what I’m doin’ to you under the water, yeah? And Red’s sleepin’.” Pushing his arousal against her bottom, his hand didn’t relent from teasing her slit.

“Spike…” She breathed heavily, trying to wrestle his hand away with one of hers, failing miserably. “They’re gonna know.”

“No one’s goin’ to know if you don’ make a fuss about it, kitten. Now pretend I said something funny.”

His hand withdrew but before Buffy had time to sigh with relief she felt the waistband of his trunks slide against her back as he lowered it and the arm holding on to her trailed southward to move her suit more out of the way.

“Better laugh now, goldilocks,” was all the whispered warning he gave her and she managed to stifle her moan as he entered her, replacing it with a forced giggle.

“So, what’s for lunch, pet?” Spike flicked his tongue, licking her earlobe and she wanted to smack him for being able to speak so naturally as if he wasn’t thrusting inside her, rocking them both and making her knees buckle.

*I’ll show you what’s for lunch* She tightened her inner muscles around him, feeling his whole body tense up. “Hey, Xander, are you two asleep?” she called out, all the while tightening around Spike even more.

“What the fuck are you doin’, pet?” his whisper was panicked and she replied with a hiss, pushing against him when he stopped moving.

“Making sure they’re not on to us.” Her lower body kept pumping him.

Xander didn’t answer, pointing instead at Willow indicating with his hand that she was sleeping, so Buffy continued in a low voice, but still loud enough for her cousin to hear her. “I was wondering if a salad would be good enough for lunch. I can make some steaks for dinner if you guys wanna hang here till then.”

His nervousness gone as he realized Xander wasn’t going to come walking over, Spike chuckled at his girl’s antics. His thumb stole to her clit; rubbing the sensitive nubbin and making her forget all about their cousin’s opinion on lunch as Spike’s thrusts began to gain momentum. “Salad, eh? Sounds good to me, alth-” He bit her neck, never finishing his sentence when Buffy managed to reach down and cup his balls, tugging on them lightly.

“You know you’re gonna pay for this, right?” she asked, not turning towards him at all, but clenching and unclenching around him, her hand never ceasing its added stimulation to his body.

Spike took advantage of the fact that most of her body was under the water, her head now leaning on the arm anchoring her to the edge of the pool to slide his hand inside her top, kneading the mound that seemed to be made for his palm and pinching the peaked bud. “Love every punishment you throw my way, luv. Now let go ‘f my balls and rub yourself. I want you to cum.”

“Make me.” Her defying words were belied by the fact that she did exactly as he said, biting down on her forearm to silence her moans as his thrusts became even harder, pushing her over the edge with him following right after her, muffling his own orgasmic cries in her wet hair.

“Xander?” Willow’s voice was whispered, meant only for her boyfriend, as she didn’t move from where she lay, her view of the pool slightly hidden by the bulge inside the boy’s shorts.

“Hmm?” his fingers tangled in her red hair. “What baby? Did I wake you?”

Still not moving anything but her fingers where they lay on his stomach under her cheek, she ignored his question. “I think they’re having sex in the pool.”

“I know, baby. At least we’re not seeing anything this time!” he laughed, making her head bounce and she just had to turn and kiss his stomach.

They pretended not to have noticed anything when the blonds came out of the pool giggling and swatting at each other and didn’t mention anything during lunch, either.

Xander was happy for both of them… for all of them, but he kept having some sense of impending doom threatening the bliss he so vehemently tried to hold on to. He knew he should probably talk to Willow about it just as well as he knew she would probably disagree with his intentions to intervene. He felt it was partly his responsibility to ensure they managed to overcome the difficulties ahead, and he sure couldn’t talk to Buffy about it. *She’ll pretend to be ‘a-ok’ as always when he’s gone. Pfft, Like I don’t know when she’s hurting.* Still he really thought he should have a man-to-man with Spike concerning, well, the ‘after’ of summer.

He had the opportunity to do just that when Buffy said someone should go for soft-drinks, looking pointedly at him.

“Sure Buff, Xan-man’s on it!” He grabbed his keys then thought better of it, leaving them on the table before turning to Spike. “I think I’ll just walk. Care to join me?”

Spike glanced at Buffy for approval while at the same time chastising himself, *great, can’t go for a bloody walk without askin’ permission? Ex-dough-boy will have a field day with that one.* But then Buffy smiled, so he shrugged, muttered a ‘sure’ and followed the dark-haired boy outside the door.

The moment the door was closed behind them, Xander blurted out the question that had been plaguing him for so long without even thinking about it, making Spike stop dead in his tracks.

“So, what are you gonna do when you go back home? Will you break up with Buffy?”

“Wha’ was that?” Spike had to do a double take. He realized Xander wanted to speak to him about something or he would have asked Willow to join him – the two seemed to be joined at the hip these days – but expected it to be about them. As in Xander-and-Willow ‘them’.

“You and the Buffster. Are you going to break up when you have to go back to the mother country?” Xander was looking at his shoes, not wanting to see the anger he could feel radiating from the other’s gaze.

“NO. WE. ARE. NOT. Any more questions?” Spike’s eyes had squeezed to slits; he felt his blood boiling at the thought of ever being without his love.

“How? I mean… you know. Don’t be like that. I’m just worried for you.”

“Well, don’ be! I’m comin’ back for her as soon as I’m of age for the States. So there.”

A glance that Xander chanced his way should have been enough to drop the subject, but he cared too much to do that.

“And what about her? Is she going to wait? A year isn’t eternity, I know, but it’s still a whole year. You’re going to be a senior, hot girls all around, are you sure you want her to wait?”

“She says she will and I want her to. There won’… there can never be another, Xander. She’s it for me.” A cigarette found its way to Spike’s lips and lighting it signified the end of the conversation. “Now le’s go get those diet cokes before the birds start worryin’.”

Xander nodded. He knew Spike meant what he said; he just had to make sure that Buffy felt the same way. The thing was, it would take a while for him to gather up the courage to get into such a conversation with his older cousin. Buffy was good with denial. Remarkably so. If she was forced to face the inevitable threat to her relationship, she might just try to shield herself from the pain of separation by screwing things up sooner. *Well, either that or chew my head off for meddling!*

There was only one way to avoid an outburst from her… save the chat for when she had to face the music.

Xander decided to talk to her on the day before their families were due to come back. Now if he could only think of what to say…

Spike pulled a deep drag from his cigarette, trying to calm his nerves. He wouldn’t think about what could go wrong. After all, tomorrow he’d be exactly one year away from being able to officially be with his girl. On the way to the store and back he only allowed his mind to drift to what Buffy could be planning for his birthday the following day. Just because she hadn’t mentioned anything didn’t mean she’d forgotten, right? *To forget something you have to know it first! Does she even know when my birthday is?* She should. She’d been there at his birthday party when he turned twelve… *right. Ages ago… what’s to say she remembers? Well, Xander must have said something! He remembers*

Yup, Spike was sure his seventeenth birthday would be special. Buffy would make sure of that, he just knew it.





tbc.


Please take a moment to let me know what you thought of it!