Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanna thank all of you who are still reading and reviewing. You make me smile, and you make my naughty muse sit his cute li’l ass down and write some more. So chocolate covered Spikes to you all!!



I wanna say a huge thank you to my wonderful beta Im_bloody_English who’s my hero for making everything click in fic and RL, you’re my Goddess, Tina! *bows* I also wanna thank the adorable Dusty273 for reading this chapter before it was ever sent to IBE and making sense of it. The way I’d written it originally seemed both boring and confusing, but with her suggestions and help it got its current form. Lastly a thank you and a poke of the tongue to SpikesGoddess, who tends to be silly with me whenever I need it (which is about 24/7) and who’s the official tester of each new chapter! (let alone the one who keeps finding adorable ways to respond to “Errr, this hasn’t been beta-ed yet, but can you tell me if it works??”)



There are 7 more chapters to go (I’ve already written 6 of them) if all goes as planned, and if I manage to write the last one this weekend and start on the next plot bunny I’ve been toying around with for a while now then the last postings of QS will be twice a week.
~~~~~~~From the previous chapter

“A little aloof’?” His voice was fraught with sarcasm as he mocked her way of speaking. “Oh, tha’s rich! You’ve been avoiding me all day, Buffy! ‘S that the trendy way of leavin’ a bloke, pet? Avoid him ‘til he tells you to sod off?” He spoke quietly, but there was nothing subdued about his tone or stance. He was beside himself. *Havin’ the next one all lined up, most likely – and here I thought she loved me!*

~~~~~*~~~~~

*Oh! Angry-Spike HOT – Bad Buffy, ba-a-ad!* His words just sank in and she was stopped in her tracks to turn and face him, which resulted in a very angry, very tight-bodied man walking into her, nearly sending them both rolling down the sloping hill the top of which they’d just reached, and at the bottom of which spread an expanse of fresh grass encircling a placid lake.

Spike didn’t get to see the scenery, however, as his love and the cause of his heart ache turned around to poke him in the stomach as soon as their balance was secured.

“What was that?” She raised her eyebrow, a facial expression she’d come to use with increasing frequency as of late. “Who said anything about leaving you?” Her eyes seemed suspiciously misty.

“So those calls and messages today ‘aven’t been to the new bloke, then?” He was still furious, but reason was starting to gently knock on the door of his jealous thoughts and he was slowly realizing that this was Buffy, the woman who loved him, and would have never brought him to the middle of nowhere just to dump him over someone else. *Duh! When would she’ve even had a chance to meet a new bloke?* He felt like smacking his own forehead. In the two months they’d spent together, they’d never been apart for more than a few hours once a week… *don’ forget that day she went to prepare for your… punishmen’ either, mate.* He managed to refrain from making moon eyes just in time to see the hurt look in her eyes be replaced by that of anger.

“No, you stupid… git! They were to…” she breathed in deeply and let her anger go. It was, after all, her fault he’d misunderstood. “Close your eyes!”

“Wha’? You gonna get me butt-naked in the middle of nowhere?” He smirked, but wasn’t feeling half as cool as he let on.

“Maybe later…” she answered enigmatically. Seeing he did as she told him to, she caught his hand and gently led him down to the lake’s edge. Bringing both of them to a stop, she stood in front of him and pulled his head down for a breathtaking kiss. “Happy birthday, baby!” she whispered against his lips then pulled back. “And if you’d just gone with the ‘accept-that-Buffy-is-not-in-a-cuddly-mood-and-wants-to-go-for-a-ride’ scenario from the start, you would have gotten your present a lot sooner.

Spike almost choked as he opened his eyes and took in the large fleece blanket spread out on the sand with a cooler and a picnic basket. “A surprise? For my birthday? Tha’s what today was about?” He looked both happy and miserable at the same time.

“Yes, you big doofus!” She pulled him in for another kiss but he pulled back after only a couple of seconds.

Once Spike had told her what he thought was going on, she couldn’t believe how stupid she’d been to let things go that far. She should have been more sensitive to his jealous and she knew she had to make it up to him… now.

“So all that today…”

“Totally my bad, baby. I just wanted to make tonight memorable.” She was so relieved when his lips found hers for a tender kiss before she hurriedly explained her behavior throughout the day so they could get to the ‘enjoying-the-surprise’ part.


~~~~~~~~~~~Earlier that morning


Buffy could never not look at Spike. He was perfection personified, beauty in every single detail of his face and body. Still, the time she most enjoyed looking at him was when he wasn’t aware of it. Like this morning, when her lover turned seventeen and was only a year away from openly being hers. She couldn’t stop looking at the long lashes covering those blue eyes that could see through her soul or the sharp angles of his face made more prominent by the rays of sun that seemed to exalt his face to that of an angel. Just as she was thanking God for sending her this wonderful man whose heart she could feel pounding where she lay snuggled to his chest, she noticed his lids fluttering slightly and swiftly closed her eyes, pretending to still be asleep.

Her first instinct upon feeling his touch to her face was to drown him with kisses, but she wanted this night to be special, and only wanted to make to love with him after she’d taken him to the surprise Willow would help her set up. She knew that if she kissed him, they’d never get out of bed, so… she averted her face and asked for coffee instead.

Her heart sped up at how happy he was to take care of her as he burst out of the room to prepare her what she knew would be an entire treat. *That’s who he is. The most perfect man in the world, and he’s all mine.* She secretly smiled as she called Willow on speed-dial.

“Wills?” she whispered, alert for any sound that might signify Spike’s return to the room. “We’re up. Have Xander call him for wishes now, so that you can tell him the plan later.” Pause. “I know he wouldn’t, Wills, not on purpose, but if they talk after you fill him in he might spill something by mistake!” Xander was a sweetheart, but he wouldn’t be able to hide that something was up, even if he didn’t tell Spike what that ‘something’ was. “Gotta go, he’s back” Turning on her stomach she barely had time to leave her cell on the night stand and hide her face in the pillow so that Spike wouldn’t see the grin on it.

“Buffy? Pet? Rise an’ shine!”

He was so close and judging from how he’d streaked downstairs without a stitch on, she couldn’t bear to look at him. *I’m only human… if he touches me I’ll be all melty-Buffy, and that will so not be of the good!* So she hmmm’d, and kept fighting the urge to jump him as he lured her in with coffee and asked for a kiss.

When he insisted on the kiss she blurted out what sounded like a logical explanation for not wanting to kiss him. “Spike, stop. I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet!”

*Saved by the phone!* she thought as she heard her cell ringing. It was obviously Xander calling to wish him ‘happy birthday’. *Awww, he took the call here, hoping I’ll ask about it.* She didn’t want to get caught looking at him as he stood in his birthday-suit running a hand through his loose curls. He looked so hot and so adorable at the same time that she knew he’d see the need in her eyes by the way she was drooling at the sight of him, so when he turned her way she lowered her eyelids acting… aloof.

As soon as he was off the phone she told him she wanted some time to herself, and when he was out the door, taking that endearing pout with him only moments before her self-restraint gave up on her, she called Willow again. “So, how did Xander take it? Will he be able to get that cooler?” Pause. “OK, call me when you know!”

She drew herself a long bath, knowing what she had planned didn’t justify fancy clothing, so she had to do her best to be her most alluring in everyday clothes. She applied her jasmine body cream to every inch of her smooth, hairless skin, thanking her good sense for having visited the beauty parlor a few days ago and not having to bother with shaving.

By the time she went downstairs she was aching for him, and had to sit as far from him as possible to keep from doing all the things the idea of sitting in his lap brought to mind.

“Nah-uh. I want to paint my toe-nails and your lap is so not the safest place for that!” Seating herself in the armchair next to the couch, she got to painting her nails trying hard not to let the sight he made sprawled on the couch, one arm folded behind his head, his other hand playing with the line of downy hair starting beneath his navel and leading inside his shorts, get to her.

*Hmmm, I don’t have to be the only one sexually frustrated.* She leaned forward knowing exactly what he would see when he looked her way, and rolled her shoulders just enough to stretch the thin fabric over her nipples.

“Buffy, I want my mornin’ kiss now.”

She shivered at the wave of lust his voice sent down her spine. “But it’s not morning.” *God, I wanna jump him… maybe I should save the surprise for his next birthday? Nooo, slutty Buffy, you’ll just have to wait.*

“Yeah, well, it’s still today, though, and with the way you’re actin’, if I don’ ask for it I’ll get it tomorrow mornin’!”

Her strain not to drop on her knees in front of him and take him in her mouth was taking its toll on her back that began to hurt from the stiffness of her posture. “Oh, okaaay…” She couldn’t kiss him for more than a few seconds without wanting more, but she tried to pour all the love she felt into that kiss. “Good morning, Mr. Whiny!”

Once more, she almost threw her plans to the wind when his hand began stroking her leg, it was stupid after all to withhold sex just for the sake of making it more special later, so she sat back and began reciting the reasons that had led her to that decision to begin with.

*I don’t want him to know I know it’s his birthday.
If we make love or even fuck like crazy now he is going to be sure I forgot and I don’t want that either.
I want him to be completely happy when we get together.
For him to be completely happy I want to tell him how much I love him and show him how much he means to me, which I can’t do without wishing him ‘happy birthday’, and I can’t do that without spoiling the surprise.
Ergo no kissy!*


Her reasoning seemed far less, well, reasonable than it had when she first came up with the plan, but her single-mindedness was one of her trademark character traits. *It’s gonna be so great tonight… oh! Chick-flick marathon! YAY! I can make Spike squirm!*

She knew she was evil as she watched her poor man from the corner of her eye fake interest in ‘Sixteen Candles’ when all he obviously thought about was how he should be blowing out his seventeen. *Or how I should be blowing his one.*

About half an hour or so before the movie ended Buffy became restless. Willow and Xander should have everything ready by then. *Why haven’t they called yet?* She made sure to be discreet as she kept checking her phone for calls or messages and made sure Spike didn’t see the text that appeared on the screen.

From: Willow R.
Message: Buffy we have a problem, secured the cooler but they’re asking for ID for the champagne. Can you meet us at the liquor store?

She answered with a hasty ‘be there in 10’ and making what she realized was a lousy excuse to Spike, she rushed off to purchase the bottle of bubbly she wanted.

It was only because Willow asked her what she’d told Spike in order to leave the house without raising his suspicions that she remembered to even buy the Diet Coke she ‘supposedly’ went out for.

A new pile of cigarette butts had formed in the ashtray by the time she returned to him.

*God, he’s all grumbly today!* Spike seemed to get pissed off at everything and the insecure part of her felt safe and guiltily happy knowing that his mood was affected because she wouldn’t dote on him. It meant he needed her as much as she needed him, *plus, he’s the one that told me about that delayed-deferred gratification thingy.*

Never did it cross her mind that – when he taught her that – she knew her own gratification was just postponed, while he now feared his might be cancelled altogether. Her only thoughts were of his face when he saw the night she had planned for the two of them, and of when her cousin and his girlfriend would have things ready. When the phone rang she saw the caller ID flashing ‘Out of Area’ and called out for him to get it, sure it would be his father. After all, Dawn had told her what time they would be calling.

When he came down the stairs, naked, moist, and hard she had no more resistance and wanted to sob with relief at the call from Willow saying things were finally set up.

She just couldn’t answer it with him in the room, though.

She was so happy when she went back to the living room. No more waiting. She’d show him her surprise and then they would make love until the morning. “So, wanna go for a ride?” she asked.

He must not have gotten the happy-time memo.

“Oh, now the princess wants my company? Remembered I was here, did you?”

*What the fuck?* It hadn’t been easy for her to stay away either. *Why is he making this difficult? We’re just half an hour away from having a great time. Why can’t he just trust me?* “What do you mean? I so knew you were here all day! Didn’t we watch that movie together and-”

“And what? You watched a bloody chick-flick with me, jus’ like you would with any ‘f your friends. You were around, but you weren’t here with me though, were you?”

“I so was!” *I wanted to be on you, around you! Now get off your butt and let me surprise you!*

“What the fuck is wrong with you today, Buffy?”

Nothing,” she wanted to cry. She cringed at having actually pissed him off when all she wanted was to keep him on edge. For a moment she felt like telling him what she was up to. Then that same little girl whose boyfriends never stuck around rose inside her and she masked her fear behind anger. She was good at being angry. Always had been. “Nothing is wrong with me. Just because for one day I wasn’t in the—the frigging mood to be all over you something has to be wrong with me?”

She had to text the others and let them know they wouldn’t be coming yet. Willow asked if it was ok for them to leave, since the planned party was for the blonds only, but Buffy asked them to stay and make sure no creepy-crawlies got into the food.

An hour went by and in her mind’s – exaggerated – eye, she could see the sandwiches becoming mushy, the fruit going bad and the champagne turning sour.

“So, you wanna go for that ride?” She batted her eyelashes but Spike didn’t seem to notice.

“Where to?” The sulking tone was still there. *Angel may hold the title of Mr. Broody-pants, but Spike is definitely a formidable contender tonight.*

“Dunno. Around.”

But nooo, he had to make her watch ‘Rambo’… ‘Rambo’!

She followed mutely after his ‘Le’s go’ when he finally got up, hoping the ride to the spot she’d selected would improve both their moods.

Only, she kept playing his reactions over in her head on the way there and didn’t like them one bit.

She sent one last text message to Willow, letting her know they were on their way so that she and Xander could clear out and then – totally disregarding the fact that Spike had no idea she had something romantic planned for the two of them – she spent the rest of the ride convincing herself that he was being unfair, accusing her of not being there with him. *Ha! He’s got some nerve! This entire day has been about him.*

Lost in her musings, she barely registered the fact that she was speeding and almost missed the landmarks she’d set to recognize the place before she brought the car to a skidding stop, bolting out of the car determined to get to the surprise before the tension between her and Spike erupted into a full-sized quarrel.

“Buffy! What the fuck is going on?”

“You pissed me off.” *Pissed, as in the past, now stop with the third degree and follow.* She kept walking forward, not turning to look at him, the proximity of his voice showing her he was close behind. She didn’t want to deal with it. She just wanted to get him to the picnic spot so that they could push the entire silliness of the day behind them.

His indignant outburst seemed unfounded to her. *Besides, it’s my preroga-thingy to refuse to put out once in a while!*

“Today what? Today of all. Days, you choose to act like a child? Sulking and refusing to come for a ride with me cuz I was a little… aloof?” She knew she was being childish, she’d been more than ‘aloof’, but they were so close to the cozy dinner for two, and she might have royally screwed up the day but she could fix it in just a few more steps.

“A little aloof’? Oh, tha’s rich! You’ve been avoiding me all day, Buffy! ‘S that the trendy way of leavin’ a bloke, pet? Avoid him ‘til he tells you to sod off?”

*Oh! Angry Spike HOT – Bad Buffy, ba-a-ad!*

~~~~~*~~~~~

The only remark Spike made once she finished telling him her view of the entire day that had up to a few minutes before been the worst he could remember having was, ‘So you think I’m hot when I’m mad, don’t you, pet?’

Buffy stuck a sandwich between his lips as he leaned forward to kiss her. “Nuh-uh! We made it this far, we’ll have our picnic before the naughtiness ensues!”

*Bloody stubborn bint! God, I love her!*





Tbc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N. I’m a blonde with the memory capacity of a goldfish, so I meant to do this last week… but better late than never, right? Weeell, I read a couple of things by a new (and very productive) author called dreamweaver. They were hot and they were funny and I wanted to point you her way, cuz she’s good! So go. Read. Enjoy! (and review, cuz the muse needs some fuel ;-) )